Gaming rig question - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Taliban can SUCK IT!
 
Whitesmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,145
Gaming rig question

Ok, so its been about 4 year since I've looked into building a computer. I haven't kept up with the industry very well in that time. So what do I need to know to build myself a current gaming rig and can a good one be built for less than 1k?



Whitesmoke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 788
for sure, you could do it for half that probably.


pricewatch.com is a decent place to start. i like this site better because it lists the prices from every site, not just one.

my piece of advice is dont go over 150 for each part, in general - just woke up... very dizzy
buzntxn is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
clicky





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Taliban can SUCK IT!
 
Whitesmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
LOL thanks bro, that's exactly what I'm trying to do oddly enough. current PC wont run Crysis at more that about 10-13fps, very annoying



Whitesmoke is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesmoke View Post
LOL thanks bro, that's exactly what I'm trying to do oddly enough. current PC wont run Crysis at more that about 10-13fps, very annoying
You're welcome. If you have more to get some better components, I'd go Phenom2 920/Q6600, 4gigs PC6400 and a Spinpoint F1

The 4gigs is assuming you'll be usin a 64bit OS





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:46 PM
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesmoke View Post
Ok, so its been about 4 year since I've looked into building a computer. I haven't kept up with the industry very well in that time. So what do I need to know to build myself a current gaming rig and can a good one be built for less than 1k?
Yes sir you can, I just built a system this december for under $550 shipped.

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

BIOSTAR TA770 A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD

EVGA 512-P3-N971-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX

Rosewill RCR-102 52-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB port

G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

HP 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DVD1070i



Newegg.com is your friend. I haven't run across a game that I can't play yet. And I haven't even gotten into looking at what this would do if I overclocked it.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
If you're wanting to OC, I'd stay away from the Athlon X2 and 1st gen Phenom's. They don't OC well, now the Phenom 2' do as do the q6600 Intel.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:58 PM
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
If you're wanting to OC, I'd stay away from the Athlon X2 and 1st gen Phenom's. They don't OC well, now the Phenom 2' do as do the q6600 Intel.
I'd probably get a quad core if I needed more from my cpu. My cpu came with an OC program and I've read most people can OC it to the highest setting through the program with no problems. But once again, I'd just go with a quad core.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
I'd probably get a quad core if I needed more from my cpu. My cpu came with an OC program and I've read most people can OC it to the highest setting through the program with no problems. But once again, I'd just go with a quad core.
They are OCable but their limit isn't like the newer chips where a 1+ gig stable OC on air is possible.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 02:52 PM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
costco.com is where I found some great deals on things. My desktop I got for about 25% less then I could've built for with parts. 2 year warranty standard.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Taliban can SUCK IT!
 
Whitesmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,145
well this is what I've come up with so far. I'm still not sure it's all 100% compatible tough

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.187862
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131343R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150356
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227289
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103471

comes out to $745 with shipping

already got all the drives i would need and a 500gig barracuda



Whitesmoke is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
That'll work fine together. The GPU you chose is a rebadged 9800 GTX+ like the one in the link I gave you earlier.

What are gonna use for your OS?

If you're ganna go w/ 4 gigs of RAM, use 4 1gigs sticks instead of 2x2gig.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Taliban can SUCK IT!
 
Whitesmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
That'll work fine together. The GPU you chose is a rebadged 9800 GTX+ like the one in the link I gave you earlier.

What are gonna use for your OS?

If you're ganna go w/ 4 gigs of RAM, use 4 1gigs sticks instead of 2x2gig.

well I've got a copy of Vista Ultimate so i can run it in 64bit but im thinking about using windows 7 beta

i want to run 8gig but i remember reading something in one of the reviews about losing DC when you go over 4gig so now im undecided. dont really need 8gig for anything though



Whitesmoke is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Keep in mind that if you choose Win7 you'll hafta start fresh in march 2010 as the RC expires.

You gonna use the stock cooler?





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 06:42 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
I personally would NOT run W7 at this point for a machine that I use daily. I don't fully understand that need/use of 8Gb or RAM either. I'd start at 4 and see if yo need more. I have 3 and never see it utilized about 75% at this time. That's multitasking torrent downloads, email, a game (fallout 3 when I was paying attentioned) and a bunch of crap ont he sidebar along with Virtual Infrastructure Client up for ESX.

Tell me what you're going to do that may utilize 8GB of RAM and I'll test it - for my own curiousity with 3GB. Although, I'm now running XP.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Taliban can SUCK IT!
 
Whitesmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
I personally would NOT run W7 at this point for a machine that I use daily. I don't fully understand that need/use of 8Gb or RAM either. I'd start at 4 and see if yo need more. I have 3 and never see it utilized about 75% at this time. That's multitasking torrent downloads, email, a game (fallout 3 when I was paying attentioned) and a bunch of crap ont he sidebar along with Virtual Infrastructure Client up for ESX.

Tell me what you're going to do that may utilize 8GB of RAM and I'll test it - for my own curiousity with 3GB. Although, I'm now running XP.
I don't have a use for it. The biggest resource hog I would be using would be crysis or some other FPS while running P2P and IE in the background. I can run that on my laptop with 2GB. Its mostly the video card that causes problems(out of date chipset). the only real reason to go to 8GB would have just been the desire to max out the board.

And you're both right I shouldn't run W7 on it. I should put it on my laptop after i build the desktop if I really want to play with it



Whitesmoke is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesmoke View Post
I don't have a use for it. The biggest resource hog I would be using would be crysis or some other FPS while running P2P and IE in the background. I can run that on my laptop with 2GB. Its mostly the video card that causes problems(out of date chipset). the only real reason to go to 8GB would have just been the desire to max out the board.

And you're both right I shouldn't run W7 on it. I should put it on my laptop after i build the desktop if I really want to play with it
You could always dual boot it on different drives. <-----safest way





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:53 PM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
You could always dual boot it on different drives. <-----safest way
Safest way is with a VM image.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Safest way is with a VM image.
Yeah ,yeah. I was comparing that to on a single HDD.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:22 PM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
Yeah ,yeah. I was comparing that to on a single HDD.
Understood, felt the need to be a smartass since I knew something PC/Hardware/OS related for once.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Taliban can SUCK IT!
 
Whitesmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,145
I don't think I'm going to run W7 anymore anyway. I'm thinking it may cause unnecessary problems with my games that I don't want to deal with. I'm just gonna run vista in 64bit



Whitesmoke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome