Is this a decent media player? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,915
Question Is this a decent media player?

I don't know much about these things, but I've been looking to see if I can get a cheap one. Is this a good price? (I know it's a refurb) What are the pros & cons of this product? Any input is appreciated.

http://sellout.woot.com/Default.aspx...4872376fa2d8ef


Mods, please move if it's in the wrong forum.
Spec5alive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Licking the windows!
 
MireFire 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In the tall grass with Snake Doctor
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec5alive View Post
I don't know much about these things, but I've been looking to see if I can get a cheap one. Is this a good price? (I know it's a refurb) What are the pros & cons of this product? Any input is appreciated.

http://sellout.woot.com/Default.aspx...4872376fa2d8ef


Mods, please move if it's in the wrong forum.
Junk.. get a Sandisk Sansa Fuze


"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
MireFire 2.0 is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
Junk.. get a Sandisk Sansa Fuze

Ok, find me a cheap one.... that'll give you something to do
Spec5alive is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:03 PM
you cant see me
 
Futurama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: pantherville
Posts: 15,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec5alive View Post
Ok, find me a cheap one.... that'll give you something to do
you have to get ahold of leah, she posts up all the hookups.
Futurama is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:03 PM
aka The Cougar
 
Leah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: under investigationalmentalisms
Posts: 16,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec5alive View Post
Ok, find me a cheap one.... that'll give you something to do
I got our boys 4g sansa's for Christmas and they were only around $30.

*edit*

Here ya go...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-NA-_-NA-_-NA

Token Split Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW stangs.
Leah is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:08 PM
you cant see me
 
Futurama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: pantherville
Posts: 15,960
i knew it, damn leah there has got to be a way for you to do this for a living..
Futurama is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:20 PM
aka The Cougar
 
Leah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: under investigationalmentalisms
Posts: 16,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurama View Post
i knew it, damn leah there has got to be a way for you to do this for a living..
lol. I wish. That'd be an awesome job.

Token Split Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW stangs.
Leah is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:23 PM
you cant see me
 
Futurama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: pantherville
Posts: 15,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
lol. I wish. That'd be an awesome job.
it would not suprise me a bit if someone did that as a job lol. i will try to find you an application.
Futurama is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
I got our boys 4g sansa's for Christmas and they were only around $30.

*edit*

Here ya go...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-NA-_-NA-_-NA
Hmmmm.... I'll save that one for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurama View Post
i knew it, damn leah there has got to be a way for you to do this for a living..
lol I know, right
Spec5alive is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Licking the windows!
 
MireFire 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In the tall grass with Snake Doctor
Posts: 3,283
I have had my Fuze for awhile now and love it. I got my kids 2gb Sansa Clips for Christmas year before last and they are cool too. Sansa is a good line for people not wanting to go the iPod route.

David

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
MireFire 2.0 is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
I have had my Fuze for awhile now and love it. I got my kids 2gb Sansa Clips for Christmas year before last and they are cool too. Sansa is a good line for people not wanting to go the iPod route.

David
Well what's the difference between an iPod & a regular MP3 player?
Spec5alive is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:19 PM
A+
would read again
 
A+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Girlswithoutweinersville, Tx
Posts: 6,886
just buy my 8gig iTouch...i think its cheap

***TrueStreet cars run A/C***
"I JUST WANT TO BE A DOPER PERSON WHICH STARTS WITH ME NOT ALWAYS TELLING PEOPLE HOW DOPE I THINK I AM," -kanye west

Parting out a GT? lmk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Does it make me gay if I stick my finger in another mans ass on a daily basis?
A+ is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Licking the windows!
 
MireFire 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In the tall grass with Snake Doctor
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec5alive View Post
Well what's the difference between an iPod & a regular MP3 player?
Not much, other then cost and if you want to be tied to iTunes or not.

I am of a mindset, that I don't want to simply pay more for a name and I like to drag and drop my files without having to go through 3rd party software (iTunes)

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
MireFire 2.0 is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
just buy my 8gig iTouch...i think its cheap
Spec5alive is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
Not much, other then cost and if you want to be tied to iTunes or not.

I am of a mindset, that I don't want to simply pay more for a name and I like to drag and drop my files without having to go through 3rd party software (iTunes)
Ohhh, I didn't know you have to have iTunes to put the music on an iPod... silly me. I don't pay for my music, I just want a player that will play the music I already have on my PC (drag & drop). But I may want a radio tuner on it also, not sure how well that works.
Spec5alive is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:25 PM
A+
would read again
 
A+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Girlswithoutweinersville, Tx
Posts: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec5alive View Post
its really cooooool.....i love it but dont use it anymore

***TrueStreet cars run A/C***
"I JUST WANT TO BE A DOPER PERSON WHICH STARTS WITH ME NOT ALWAYS TELLING PEOPLE HOW DOPE I THINK I AM," -kanye west

Parting out a GT? lmk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Does it make me gay if I stick my finger in another mans ass on a daily basis?
A+ is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
its really cooooool.....i love it but dont use it anymore
It's only cool because you want me to buy it lol

Do you have to buy iTunes to transfer the music to iPods? I don't understand this crap lol I just use my phone as my MP3 player, but I'd like a smaller player.
Spec5alive is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
A+
would read again
 
A+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Girlswithoutweinersville, Tx
Posts: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec5alive View Post
It's only cool because you want me to buy it lol

Do you have to buy iTunes to transfer the music to iPods? I don't understand this crap lol I just use my phone as my MP3 player, but I'd like a smaller player.
i get all my music from limewire. it really is cool though. im not too computer savvy so it took me a few minutes to get ahold of the whole itunes thing. i use it every now and then when i dont feel like turning my computer on.

***TrueStreet cars run A/C***
"I JUST WANT TO BE A DOPER PERSON WHICH STARTS WITH ME NOT ALWAYS TELLING PEOPLE HOW DOPE I THINK I AM," -kanye west

Parting out a GT? lmk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Does it make me gay if I stick my finger in another mans ass on a daily basis?
A+ is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
i get all my music from limewire. it really is cool though. im not too computer savvy so it took me a few minutes to get ahold of the whole itunes thing. i use it every now and then when i dont feel like turning my computer on.
Yep, I get all my music from Limewire too. So iTunes is free?
Spec5alive is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Licking the windows!
 
MireFire 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In the tall grass with Snake Doctor
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec5alive View Post
It's only cool because you want me to buy it lol

Do you have to buy iTunes to transfer the music to iPods? I don't understand this crap lol I just use my phone as my MP3 player, but I'd like a smaller player.
iTunes is a free program, and you can put your music (CDs) on your iPod, but you have to use iTunes to convert each song to the format the iPod uses. So it is not just drag and drop onto the player.

The Fuze has a radio tuner, btw

David

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
MireFire 2.0 is offline  
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 05:04 PM
A+
would read again
 
A+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Girlswithoutweinersville, Tx
Posts: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
iTunes is a free program, and you can put your music (CDs) on your iPod, but you have to use iTunes to convert each song to the format the iPod uses. So it is not just drag and drop onto the player.

The Fuze has a radio tuner, btw

David
what he said ^

***TrueStreet cars run A/C***
"I JUST WANT TO BE A DOPER PERSON WHICH STARTS WITH ME NOT ALWAYS TELLING PEOPLE HOW DOPE I THINK I AM," -kanye west

Parting out a GT? lmk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Does it make me gay if I stick my finger in another mans ass on a daily basis?
A+ is offline  
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 05:25 PM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
iTunes is free.
You have to use it to transfer your music to your iPod unless you get a third party application.
You don't have to buy music on iTunes, you can drag your collection of mp3s to it.
You don't have convert your CDs using iTunes, but it does have that tool built in.
momo stallion is offline  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!
 
DarkWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec5alive View Post
Ohhh, I didn't know you have to have iTunes to put the music on an iPod... silly me. I don't pay for my music, I just want a player that will play the music I already have on my PC (drag & drop). But I may want a radio tuner on it also, not sure how well that works.
It's a common misconception that the only way to get music on an iPod is through iTunes. That hasn't been true, at least for the last 5 years.

There are plug-ins for Winamp, Windows Media Player, MusicMatch Jukebox, and even windows explorer extensions that let you drag and drop directly from there.

There is no Linux version of iTunes, yet getting music on an iPod is a piece of cake there too.

There's even non-iTunes options for OSX.

If you're really that hard up about not dragging & dropping from the iTunes interface, you can find plenty of alternative ways to drag & drop music to an iPod.

And iTunes handles MP3s just fine. I've bought a total of 1 song from iTunes, and I've got ~14,500 songs in my library. ~90% of them are CD rips, the rest consists of a couple free iTunes "song of the week", quite a few free Amazon MP3 deals, and the majority is stuff I've grabbed from friends.

[edit]
Quote:
but you have to use iTunes to convert each song to the format the iPod uses.
iPods play MP3s, and AACs. There's no converting involved, unless you're entire collection is in something like OGG, FLAC or WMA (and iTunes will offer to convert any unprotected WMAs you have as they're being imported). I don't think any player will play FLAC natively, so you'd have to convert them to MP3 or something similar for any player regardless, same with OGG.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

Last edited by DarkWolf; 04-10-2009 at 12:18 PM.
DarkWolf is offline  
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf View Post
It's a common misconception that the only way to get music on an iPod is through iTunes. That hasn't been true, at least for the last 5 years.

There are plug-ins for Winamp, Windows Media Player, MusicMatch Jukebox, and even windows explorer extensions that let you drag and drop directly from there.

There is no Linux version of iTunes, yet getting music on an iPod is a piece of cake there too.

There's even non-iTunes options for OSX.

If you're really that hard up about not dragging & dropping from the iTunes interface, you can find plenty of alternative ways to drag & drop music to an iPod.

And iTunes handles MP3s just fine. I've bought a total of 1 song from iTunes, and I've got ~14,500 songs in my library. ~90% of them are CD rips, the rest consists of a couple free iTunes "song of the week", quite a few free Amazon MP3 deals, and the majority is stuff I've grabbed from friends.

[edit]

iPods play MP3s, and AACs. There's no converting involved, unless you're entire collection is in something like OGG, FLAC or WMA (and iTunes will offer to convert any unprotected WMAs you have as they're being imported). I don't think any player will play FLAC natively, so you'd have to convert them to MP3 or something similar for any player regardless, same with OGG.
Thank you!
Spec5alive is offline  
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:45 PM
A+
would read again
 
A+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Girlswithoutweinersville, Tx
Posts: 6,886
yeah, iPods are cool, you should get one

***TrueStreet cars run A/C***
"I JUST WANT TO BE A DOPER PERSON WHICH STARTS WITH ME NOT ALWAYS TELLING PEOPLE HOW DOPE I THINK I AM," -kanye west

Parting out a GT? lmk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Does it make me gay if I stick my finger in another mans ass on a daily basis?
A+ is offline  
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,915
Hmmmm.... this seems like a good deal. Opinions?

Refurbed 8GB 2nd Gen iPod Touch - $169.99

http://sellout.woot.com/Default.aspx...beb2546dd6cd1d
Spec5alive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome