Netbook owners... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Netbook owners...

I am thinking about getting a netbook. Mainly to take with me on vacations and such. I want to be able to surf the web and watch movies that I have ripped.

Question is, should I get a XP netbook or one running Ubuntu?

I am pretty sure I want one with a 160GB drive in it and 6 cell battery. As far as RAM, do netbooks with 512MB run Ubuntu OK? Can Ubuntu play movies OK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Rolling with the homies

If your not familiar with Ubuntu why start now? Just saying, go with what you know. Ubuntu shouldn't have any problems playing movies but WinXP works just fine in that regards to so why learn a new OS. Unless you are simply wanting to learn Ubuntu in which case I'd still recommend getting the WinXP version and you can load Ubuntu later but at least you'll have the WinXP restore disk.

Updating the RAM is easy enough but of course you might want to research whichever Netbook you are getting and see how much RAM it supports. The Dell Mini 9's max out with 2GB.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

What size screen does your netbook have? Are the 8.9" screens good for movies, or would I be better off with a 10" screen?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Rolling with the homies

I've got the Dell Mini 9 with a 9" screen. Doubt it would be a noticeable improvement going from 9" to 10" but given the choice I'd go bigger.

Haven't really watched any movies on it, just web surfing so I can't really give any impressions on that. But I do have a portable DVD player with like an 8" screen or so and it's OK for personal viewing. I have a 13" MacBook that I regularly watch DVD's on and it's fine even when I have a group of people watching on it.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Bite Me!!!

I just recently purchased the dell mini12... and i love it. I just want to buy one of the large SD cards as document storage. and get one of the 32GB thumb drives for random crap.

The touch pad is a little touchy, but the battery has been lasting 4.5-5.5 hours even charging the iphone from time to time didn't kill it.

Now that i have the mini, i don't ever touch my 9300 or my mac unless i wanna play a game.....
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Stang U View Post
I just recently purchased the dell mini12... and i love it. I just want to buy one of the large SD cards as document storage. and get one of the 32GB thumb drives for random crap.

The touch pad is a little touchy, but the battery has been lasting 4.5-5.5 hours even charging the iphone from time to time didn't kill it.

Now that i have the mini, i don't ever touch my 9300 or my mac unless i wanna play a game.....
Was that with a 6-cell battery or does it come with the 3-cell?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Bite Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Cool Jr View Post
Was that with a 6-cell battery or does it come with the 3-cell?

They do have a 3 cell option, but with the 6 cell it is still one of the lightest notebooks if ever put my hands on and it still have a wonderful screen. I compared the 9, 10, and 12 heavily before i made my choice. The 12 did not have an option for a SSD and currently you can only get it with 1GB of ram (but i have heard the 2GB is coming) I do plan on attempting a mod on it in 3 months or so for an SSD upgrade.

The 6 cell is actually nice when the laptop is sitting flat, because it give a little angle.

oh also keep in mind the keyboard is SMALL, so if you have fat fingers like myself you have to be careful!!!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
I am thinking about getting a netbook. Mainly to take with me on vacations and such. I want to be able to surf the web and watch movies that I have ripped.

Question is, should I get a XP netbook or one running Ubuntu?

I am pretty sure I want one with a 160GB drive in it and 6 cell battery. As far as RAM, do netbooks with 512MB run Ubuntu OK? Can Ubuntu play movies OK?

Remember, if you buy a 9" or 10" I don't think any of those sizes come w/ a DVD drive, so you will have to buy a USB DVD drive also..

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Lifer

I purchased the EEE 900HA with WinXP and the 160GB HD
I loaded eeebuntu on it and have been using it. I've never used Linux before
and thought it was quite easy to use.
Like mentioned above, you wont get a cd/dvd drive but with 160gb its no biggie.
Ubuntu has a few Apps that can play movies for you.

94 Triple black GT auto w/shift kit, 3:55 gears and pulleys
Trolls Needed
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
Remember, if you buy a 9" or 10" I don't think any of those sizes come w/ a DVD drive, so you will have to buy a USB DVD drive also..
I am just going to rip my dvd movies to a AVI or MKV file, then transfer them to the netbook with my USB thumb drive. I definitely want a 10" screen and a 6-cell battery. After researching, it looks like the ASUS Eee 1000HA is the best bang for the buck. I am now trying to see if I can find a good deal on a refurb or a used one. Newegg has them new for $349, I am trying to find one for less than $300.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

We have a mini 9 and it can do anything except play intensive game, which I wouldnt do on it anyway. It plays movies fine too. We have XP and a gig of RAM.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

I play starcraft on my mini. Works fine.

3v3 BGH NO NOOBS NO LAG

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Lifer

I bought an HP 2133 from Tigerdirect a few days ago for 299 with 1.99 shipping and am looking forward to getting it. It is the standard 8.9 inch model but I chose it over the others because the screen resolution is higher 1280x768 versus 1024x600 and also because it has built in bluetooth. Only drawback I see is a slightly slower 1.2ghz VIA processor compared to the 1.6ghz Intel Atom. Mainly I wanted it for surfing the internet, email, and a few other light duty tasks. I'll try a portable USB dvd drive to see how well it plays movies but thats not really what I need it for.

FUCK Canada
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well I purchased the Asus EEE 1000HA off of ebay for $300 NIB. I will let you all know how it works.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Lifer

Well the little HP arrived a day early so I'm playin with it now. I'm sure a lot of people will say the Asus, Acer, and Dell netbooks are better but I have to say after looking at most of them at Frys, Best Buy, and elsewhere....other than the slightly slower processor...this little HP blows them all away!!! This thing has REAL speakers that actually get kinda loud and sound good, the higher res screen is sharper and shows a lot more than the other 1024x600 models, the keyboard is better, and because of the built in bluetooth I am surfing tethered to my cellphone right now. This thing is AWESOME!!! Tigerdirect still has em for 299 with 2 dollar shipping and it came brand new in the box with all the restore discs and manuals. If anyone is interested it is the HP Mini 2133.

FUCK Canada
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:49 AM
dead

i finally decided im gonna get one.

im interested in the lenovo right now. gonna try to find a place that sells the dell and hp as well.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

For what it is worth, I really like the Asus. The 10" screen is nice and movies played great on. After watching a movie for about 45 minutes, the battery run time was still estimated at over 5 hours.

I think whatever one you get, you can't go wrong. They pretty much have the same specs. I do recommend a 6 cell battery though.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
For what it is worth, I really like the Asus. The 10" screen is nice and movies played great on. After watching a movie for about 45 minutes, the battery run time was still estimated at over 5 hours.

I think whatever one you get, you can't go wrong. They pretty much have the same specs. I do recommend a 6 cell battery though.
I don't think you mentioned this but did you go with XP or Ubuntu? I'd suggest loading VLC Player rather than using Windows Media Player if you are running XP. It plays more file formats compared to Media Player and I seem to get a louder sound out of it.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
I don't think you mentioned this but did you go with XP or Ubuntu? I'd suggest loading VLC Player rather than using Windows Media Player if you are running XP. It plays more file formats compared to Media Player and I seem to get a louder sound out of it.
I went with XP, but I did load eeebuntu (Ubuntu for eee pc's). It load and worked, except when I went to update eeebuntu, it needed almost 150 updates. So I was going to updated it, but it was taking hours to install. So I killed the partition and went back to straight XP. I am thinking about trying Windows 7 on it though.

I have been using VLC for a while now and it works great. Best media player out there.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:12 PM
El Camino

Check out the new netbook edition of ubuntu 9.04 that was just released today. I just loaded it up on my mini 9 and really like it.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement