DFW Mustang Forums banner

Cisco 3750G's stacking

298 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  George G. 
#1 ·
Quick question, we have 4 Cisco 3750G's currently stacked is it possible to remove the last switch from the config without physically taking down all the switches?

When we "built" the config, it was extremely simple and damn near idiot proof, now I need to take one out of the equation and am curious if anyone has done this in a live environment.

I've been told you can simply remove the cables, and pull the switch but I don't know anyone who has done this first hand so its not something i'm really joyful to try.

I wonder if this will work

# no switch 4 provision 3750G
# exit
# wr mem

I'm by far no expert, so any help would be appreciated plus if I can avoid a midnight migration I want to.

#2 ·
I've been told you can simply remove the cables, and pull the switch but I don't know anyone who has done this first hand so its not something i'm really joyful to try.

I wonder if this will work

# no switch 4 provision 3750G
# exit
# wr mem

I'm by far no expert, so any help would be appreciated plus if I can avoid a midnight migration I want to.
Assuming they are 3750 - non "E" version they have a 32Gbps backplane. If the cable is disco'ed it WILL continue to work with the 3 that are left, at half that capacity, until you connect the cables back up properly.

As a consultant, I would do this during an outage window. Especially without being able to see the configs, cabling and so forth I would not be able to promise anything.

The only way *I* would do it during production is if the customer fully understood the risks and would still accept it. Assuming cabling, configs and so forth are solid I'd give it a 95% chance of success.

#4 ·
Yeah that's where i'm at; I don't want to try and end up having an outage on these boxes so i'm just gonna do it the safe way and schedule a window.

I really should have pulled the configs on the switches before I left the office, guess i'll have to vpn in and double check.

Thanks again

btw you'd issue that command after the switch is removed. IMHO, it is a config clean up type thing. If you added a 4th switch after that one was removed, the switches IOS would automatically set the proper paramters.
ahh, I see

#5 ·
Just let me know if you have any other questions. 3750s are solid and straight forward to work with.

If you're going to power them off...

If you don't have switch priority commands...

Recommend you use them OR

Power them up in the specific order you want them to come up.

I'd do a "show switch" and verify that switch 1, is the switch you think it is...switch 2...etc. A lot of folks just turn that crap on and end up with switches all out of order from their physical rack order.

Setting their priority so the right one becomes master is ideal and then switch 2 takes it spot...etc. If you just power them up in order it'll do the same thing really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.