Upgrading from Vista to XP issues( yes upgrading) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Upgrading from Vista to XP issues( yes upgrading)

Ok, so here is my issue. I have a HP DV9700 laptop that came from the factory with Vista Premium. I have lived with it for about a year and have finally decided and attempted to upgrade to Windows XP Pro. Everything is running fine until I get to the installing of XP. Apparently, XP doesn't have native support for SATA drives so the XP pre-install process does not recognize my new Seagate 500GB SATA drive . I have been trying to locate some drivers for the sata controller so I can install XP. If anyone has ever did this and had the same issue, some pointers would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Back To Normal

My xp pro install is running on sata drives. Is you computer RAID'ed? If so you need the contoller drivers for the install.

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

https://dfwstangs.net/forums/showthre...ighlight=nlite

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Lifer

I just did it on my Toshiba again after TRYING TO GIVE VISTA A CHANCE. Just read the nlite guide. It's very easy. Mine works great. Love XP, fuck Vista.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Time Served

If you're having problems with Vista, then you should probably step away from the keyboard. I've had Vista Business since it was available in OE trim, and I have YET to have a single problem. Turn off the UAC and some of the other annoyances, and it's pretty nice.

Don't get me wrong though, XP Pro is still half-way decent.

1992 SHO MTX
Under Construction...
White/Black/White

1992 SHO MTX
My first SHO, and always my favorite. Totaled at less than 9 MPH. Dynomax Bullets, chip'd, Tokicos, and a few other goodies. Official parts car.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferendon View Post
If you're having problems with Vista, then you should probably step away from the keyboard. I've had Vista Business since it was available in OE trim, and I have YET to have a single problem. Turn off the UAC and some of the other annoyances, and it's pretty nice.

Nlite didnt work. I slipstreamed all the drivers for my board and it didnt see a hard drive still. As for the Vista comment. Yeah, it must be just me and everyone else that has problems with Vista that need to step away from the keyboard . I don't like Vista, and Windows 7 is another patched OS with more Vista feel than XP, 2000, 98, or 95 ( which contains code from all those OS's). Re-using code saves time and money, but also limits new expandibility. so, yeah......good advice there Cheech To each their own though. I happen to prefer an OS that does what I want it to do. If all the hardware in my laptop was supported, it would actually being running SuSe.

Last edited by Red Shadow; 03-19-2009 at 11:02 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shadow View Post
Nlite didnt work. I slipstreamed all the drivers for my board and it didnt see a hard drive still. As for the Vista comment. Yeah, it must be just me and everyone else that has problems with Vista that need to step away from the keyboard . I don't like Vista, and Windows 7 is another patched OS with more Vista feel than XP, 2000, 98, or 95 ( which contains code from all those OS's). Re-using code sames time and money, but also limits new expandibility. so, yeah......good advice there Cheech To each their own though. I happen to prefer an OS that does what I want it to do. If all the hardware in my laptop was supported, it would actually being running SuSe.
Are you sure. The intel storage matrix is the one... like 2500% positive.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferendon View Post

LOL, no shit. If you have problems using Vista, you probably shouldn't be using a computer.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
LOL, no shit. If you have problems using Vista, you probably shouldn't be using a computer.
I stripped my vista install of all the un needed services, turned UAC off, turned the pretty stuff off, still SLOW and SUCKS.

Windows 7 beta I liked. I'll stick with XP

As for not working, you can use the intel storage matrix driver like already mentioned.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran View Post
I stripped my vista install of all the un needed services, turned UAC off, turned the pretty stuff off, still SLOW and SUCKS.

Windows 7 beta I liked. I'll stick with XP

As for not working, you can use the intel storage matrix driver like already mentioned.
as i have said, I have slipstreamed it into my XP disc and it still doesnt recognize the HDD. so..... Looks like I'm going solo on this one since everyone seems intent on bashing me for not using Vista and my personal preference for not using it. Sorry that I don't feel like doing what you want me to do. Sorry for my ignorance in thinking that I would get help from everyone. A few seemed like helping while the rest were Microsoft leg humpers. As for the Intel Matrix driver. yeah, i know thats the issue.... It just won't take the one specified for my laptop... i'll have to try some different models and versions until I find one that works. Just pisses me off that the one specified doesn't work.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
Where did I say I was having problems using it? I don't see where I typed that? When trying to configure something and it won't let you because the kernel is programmed otherwise to disallow you....hmmm didn't know that was a problem caused by me? Sounds like a reason to go to a version of the software that will allow you to modify the programming so that it will serve you, not the other way around.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 05:46 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
If all the hardware in my laptop was supported, it would actually being running SuSe.
Will Ubuntu work?

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Where did I say I was having problems using it? I don't see where I typed that? When trying to configure something and it won't let you because the kernel is programmed otherwise to disallow you....hmmm didn't know that was a problem caused by me? Sounds like a reason to go to a version of the software that will allow you to modify the programming so that it will serve you, not the other way around.
1. You can't install XP.
2. You're bashing Vista now that it is a fairly solid OS.
3. Your posts make you sound like a non-technical person.

Ya sound like a standard user who does not know shit.

With that said I can -understand- why you're trying to get back to XP. However, I also UNDERSTAND even more why people are encouraging you (as you say, bashing you) to stay with Vista. XP is solid, I use it for several things still myself. However, for my main gaming/personal PC it is all Vista. My next laptop rebuild will be Vista.

At the end of the day XP is turning into what Windows 95 used to be with Windows 2000 (although W2K was a better OS out the gate admittedly.)

I personally am not intersted in you helping you install XP. Boring. I am interested in helping you "When trying to configure something and it won't let you because the kernel is programmed otherwise to disallow you" problem. As I do technical work all day and all night and Vista has become rock solid with proper vendor support and MS getting their shit straight.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to know what your problem is and try to resolve that as going to XP could be considered counter productive - since it'll be EOS/EOL soon.

My '03 Sold.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Lifer

Surprised at the Vista leg humper's in here

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Fail.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Lifer

Umm, XP is pretty much the Best workstation OS out there, Windows 95 was a pos compared to Win2k so everyone wanted to upgrade. I don't think many people wanted to let XP go as it fucking worked plain and simple. I hate connecting to a Vista computer when I am work to fix shit with, complete pos. Windows 7 I am impressed by, Vista not even an ounce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
1. You can't install XP.
2. You're bashing Vista now that it is a fairly solid OS.
3. Your posts make you sound like a non-technical person.

Ya sound like a standard user who does not know shit.

With that said I can -understand- why you're trying to get back to XP. However, I also UNDERSTAND even more why people are encouraging you (as you say, bashing you) to stay with Vista. XP is solid, I use it for several things still myself. However, for my main gaming/personal PC it is all Vista. My next laptop rebuild will be Vista.

At the end of the day XP is turning into what Windows 95 used to be with Windows 2000 (although W2K was a better OS out the gate admittedly.)

I personally am not intersted in you helping you install XP. Boring. I am interested in helping you "When trying to configure something and it won't let you because the kernel is programmed otherwise to disallow you" problem. As I do technical work all day and all night and Vista has become rock solid with proper vendor support and MS getting their shit straight.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to know what your problem is and try to resolve that as going to XP could be considered counter productive - since it'll be EOS/EOL soon.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Time Served

Lolz at those who use OS's that use at least 1 GB of Ram to operate at minimum.

Mac OS X Leopard FTW!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Umm, XP is pretty much the Best workstation OS out there, Windows 95 was a pos compared to Win2k so everyone wanted to upgrade. I don't think many people wanted to let XP go as it fucking worked plain and simple. I hate connecting to a Vista computer when I am work to fix shit with, complete pos. Windows 7 I am impressed by, Vista not even an ounce.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

My '03 Sold.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way.
So your company is using Vista? Get a lot of complaints and issues I bet. Oh well. Least you are keeping up with the times.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 03:22 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
So your company is using Vista? Get a lot of complaints and issues I bet. Oh well. Least you are keeping up with the times.
I work for a Cisco/MS/etc reseller (although I'm not a big MS fan). I use Vista/other OSs for numerous applications and usually don't have any major issues anymore.

I'm of the opinion to work through the issues if at all possible. Especially for home use or as a consultant. I CAN understand hating it as a sys admin in a support role for a corporation as it probably was not built right to begine with due to time constraints and usual corporate crap.

It IS a solid OS though -NOW. I bashed it when it was bad, but now it is good if properly admin'ed.

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement