New iPod Shuffle - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

New iPod Shuffle

Worlds smallest music player with 4gb, talks to you, and $79, not bad

Quote:
Half the size of the last generation but with twice the capacity, the latest Shuffle boasts a novel way of letting you know what track you're listening to: It talks.

Available now for $79, the new Shuffle (announced this morning on Apple's Web site—did someone heed Chris' call for fewer Apple events?) is billed as the "world's smallest music player," and indeed, it looks tiny—just 1.8 by 0.7 by 0.3 inches, or (as Apple helpfully notes) a little smaller than a AA battery.

Gone is the circular navigation pad from the last-generation Shuffle; instead, you get a new in-line remote on the earphone cord, which includes volume up/down buttons, plus a center control that lets you pause and skip tracks. Not bad, but here's the only problem: Third-party earphones won't work all that well with the new Shuffle, or at least not until someone makes a pair with a compatible in-line remote.

Also new: VoiceOver, an intriguing attempt to replace the Shuffle's missing LCD display with a computerized voice that tells you the track name and artist of the song you're listening to. Just press and hold the center key of the Shuffle's in-line remote to hear VoiceOver speak.

The new Shuffle also gets playlist support—at last—thanks to VoiceOver. Here's how it works: Keep holding the center key and VoiceOver will tell you what playlist you're listening to, followed by a list of all available playlists; click again when you hear the playlist you'd want to select.

Interesting … although based on the demo on Apple's Web site, VoiceOver isn't without its quirks. The voice itself sounds a bit robotic, and for some strange reason, Apple decided to give VoiceOver a male voice when synced with a Mac and a female voice for PC music lovers. Strange—why not give everyone the chance to choose for themselves? (Perhaps they will; guess we'll find out soon.)

That said, I like the fact that the new Shuffle (available in silver and black flavors) comes with 4GB of storage for $79, just $10 more than the old 2GB version.

So, what do you think? Like the new Shuffle? Thoughts on VoiceOver? Fire away.

Working on my project Stang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 PM
is chilaxing

de ja vu
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Licking the windows!

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Rolling with the homies

I don't like it, I like it even less so than the previous Shuffle. Although I do not have one, my sister does (or did, she's got an iTouch now) and I didn't care for the lack of a screen that shows song info. Now with this new one having no buttons and requiring a proprietary headset I really do not like it. I'll stick with my Nano for now, it's the perfect size for me and has a screen and I can use whatever headset I want

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
I don't like it, I like it even less so than the previous Shuffle. Although I do not have one, my sister does (or did, she's got an iTouch now) and I didn't care for the lack of a screen that shows song info. Now with this new one having no buttons and requiring a proprietary headset I really do not like it. I'll stick with my Nano for now, it's the perfect size for me and has a screen and I can use whatever headset I want
It would be good for the gym or jogging though. Just don't put any shitty songs on it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
It would be good for the gym or jogging though. Just don't put any shitty songs on it.
Exactly. I like to listen to a wide variety of music depending on my mood. With the Shuffle you really do not have much in the way of changing what your listening to other than to go forward or backward. Hell it's not a whole lot more improvement than a Sony Walkman from the 80's other than size and sound quality. There are other players out there that are similarly small and have a screen and buttons. The way I see the Shuffle is that it appeals to people that want an "iPod" without the cost and/or the ability to access iTunes.

Just an example. I think it's ugly but it's small and cheap and has a screen with buttons. Very minimal design that Apple could have improved upon given there resources.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Thats what I was thinking with the voice thing you can just put a "workout playlist" on have those song on during a run, and have other songs when you're not working out. It's not better than a iPhone/iTouch for all around mp3 player obviously, but I think it's ideal for workouts.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Lifer

I'm really digging my Sansa Clip for workouts. I had the Sansa e250r but having an armband on just pissed me off. I can clip it on my shorts or shirt and so far it hasn't been in the way for any exercises.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 10:32 PM
NES Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
I'm really digging my Sansa Clip for workouts. I had the Sansa e250r but having an armband on just pissed me off. I can clip it on my shorts or shirt and so far it hasn't been in the way for any exercises.
I have a Sansa clip too and I think it's a great product.

It was less than $20, it's drag and drop, the menu is intuitive, has FM and the battery charge lasts for 15 hours.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangol View Post
I have a Sansa clip too and I think it's a great product.

It was less than $20, it's drag and drop, the menu is intuitive, has FM and the battery charge lasts for 15 hours.
I have the same that I got from WOOT and I will never use anything else..

music, radio, soud recorder, categories...what else can you want?

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Exactly. I like to listen to a wide variety of music depending on my mood. With the Shuffle you really do not have much in the way of changing what your listening to other than to go forward or backward. Hell it's not a whole lot more improvement than a Sony Walkman from the 80's other than size and sound quality. There are other players out there that are similarly small and have a screen and buttons. The way I see the Shuffle is that it appeals to people that want an "iPod" without the cost and/or the ability to access iTunes.

Just an example. I think it's ugly but it's small and cheap and has a screen with buttons. Very minimal design that Apple could have improved upon given there resources.

I had one of those... it was okay, but maybe it was just mine... two of the buttons would stick 90% of the time, so I sent it back (got it off eGay)

GIFSoup
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
I got one of those for each of my Son's Christmas before last...I really like them. I got myself the Sansa Fuze.

GIFSoup
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Rolling with the homies

Epic fail IMO. WTF do they make things so complicated on such an easy enough item like a headset.

Quote:
The folks over at iLounge stumbled upon some curious info regarding the new iPod Shuffle that has us scratching our heads. We all know the controls for the new Shuffle are on the headphones, but apparently Cupertino decided to make it even more difficult for headphone makers to get in on some Shuffle action. Control of playback and adjustment of volume will not be permitted unless the headphones used are equipped with an Apple authentication chip. D’oh! To further complicate matters, headphones with this new authentication chip are not yet available. Phooey, you say, I will pair my high-end headphones with a third party remote control device instead. Denied! Third party remotes with this authentication chip are not yet available either. Until these new accessories hit the market, shuffle owners are stuck using the stock headphones for the time being. What is Apple’s reasoning behind the move? We’re not sure, though we imagine it has to do with ensuring Apple can prevent companies from producing Shuffle gear without its blessing. Good job Apple, now it’ll cost less-than-scrupulous manufacturers overseas an extra 7˘ per unit to make compatible headphones. Major fail.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Epic fail IMO. WTF do they make things so complicated on such an easy enough item like a headset.
Im really not surprised, Apple is very monopolistic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement