Busted Optical port PS3? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09

Exclamation Busted Optical port PS3?

The optical port on the back of my PS3 is busted. It won't hold the cable in, and I have to wedge it, or use electrical tape to get it to stay. ALSO, my receiver will NOT work with the ps3 now, and it did before. I'm thinking my son, who takes it back and forth from my grandparents to here might have had something to do with it. I noticed that the red light that is emitted from the inside of the port is very weak. I don't really want to ship it to Sony, as they want a ton of money to repair it. Oh, I've tried the PCM/Bitstream options. i've also tried three different cables.

Are there any local places to get it fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:09 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
The optical port on the back of my PS3 is busted. It won't hold the cable in, and I have to wedge it, or use electrical tape to get it to stay. ALSO, my receiver will NOT work with the ps3 now, and it did before. I'm thinking my son, who takes it back and forth from my grandparents to here might have had something to do with it. I noticed that the red light that is emitted from the inside of the port is very weak. I don't really want to ship it to Sony, as they want a ton of money to repair it. Oh, I've tried the PCM/Bitstream options. i've also tried three different cables.

Are there any local places to get it fixed?
your warranty will be voided if it's opened... what does sony want?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
your warranty will be voided if it's opened... what does sony want?

$200, and it's already out of warranty. It's a 1st Gen PS3 (original release).

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Time Served

have you tried a diffrent optical cable? optical cables are relatively easy to break (compared to most cables). if you inadvetantly bent the cable too much it could have caused a break inside the cable and it can't transmit the light. plug the cable into the ps3 and see if light comes out the other end (the end you plug into the receiver).

it's possible that the optical port on the ps3 is broken. if you have an hdmi receiver you could use that instead or just go back to using the L/R audio RCA cables. this will at least give you sound without having to get it repaired.

as 5.0 CJ said if you got it repaired locally and they open the ps3 it would void your warranty so if anything else broke you would be SOL.

there is a small chance that the little red LED inside the ps3 is just out of alignment and so it's not emitting it's light directly out the port. you may be able to stick a toothpick or something in there to see if you could redirect the LED to shine out the port more.

(there is a similar issue with macbooks and their headphone/optical port and people have had success fixing it with a toothpick)

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Time Served

Quote:
another option would be to list it on craigslist and even disclose that the optical port isn't working. someone who uses the composite/component cables or hdmi won't care.

the 1st gen 60gig ps3 can fetch decent money since they are 100% backward compatible for ps2 games.

if you don't use your ps3 for ps2 games you could just buy a new ps3 that can't play ps2 games. i'm sure you would come out spending less than $200 this way.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:25 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
I'll buy it from you depending on the price if you like. My last PS3 took a shit on me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54 View Post
have you tried a diffrent optical cable? optical cables are relatively easy to break (compared to most cables). if you inadvetantly bent the cable too much it could have caused a break inside the cable and it can't transmit the light. plug the cable into the ps3 and see if light comes out the other end (the end you plug into the receiver).

it's possible that the optical port on the ps3 is broken. if you have an hdmi receiver you could use that instead or just go back to using the L/R audio RCA cables. this will at least give you sound without having to get it repaired.

as 5.0 CJ said if you got it repaired locally and they open the ps3 it would void your warranty so if anything else broke you would be SOL.

there is a small chance that the little red LED inside the ps3 is just out of alignment and so it's not emitting it's light directly out the port. you may be able to stick a toothpick or something in there to see if you could redirect the LED to shine out the port more.

(there is a similar issue with macbooks and their headphone/optical port and people have had success fixing it with a toothpick)
Yeah, I all the cables have the red light coming from the other end. It's just very weak, similar the light coming from the port itself. I'll try the toothpick idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I'll buy it from you depending on the price if you like. My last PS3 took a shit on me.
Offer? I have to see if I can make up the difference to get a new unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement