Wanting to build new gaming machine... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Wanting to build new gaming machine...

Have not built my own system in about 4 years, so i know mine is out of date!
just want to be able to play any PC game there is, and no video lag, i know a nice HUGE video card is in order, my last setup i use a radeon, are they still the ones to go with? i am an AMD guy also, so will probably get a motherboard chip combo to get started with, but any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 AM
fuckcanada

What is your budget?

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
What is your budget?
nothing to lavish, around a grand, i have a case and power supply already, and some ram that may work....depends on board obviously

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Founding Member

What psu and ram do you have? Do you need a monitor also for that budget? Operating system?

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19 View Post
What psu and ram do you have? Do you need a monitor also for that budget? Operating system?
i already have dual 22" monitors, and OS really? its 2009 man! i got that!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:17 AM
duh...duh....duh

IMHO, it is usually cheaper/easier to buy a premade system. I like a one stop shop for warranty work and places like Costco you get a 2 year warranty for free on parts.

I understand folks who do it to prove to themselves they can do it, but past that there is not much point behind it these days. The PC I bought was around 250-300 dollars cheaper then putting all the parts together from 3 or more websites.

Anyway, you're starting to seem like an PITA. Brag that you have the OS but don't answer the important questions. Your RAM and PSU might be insignificant these days for all we know.

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

board, chip, ram, video card..english enough?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
If you prefer AMD, the new Phenom 2 (II) procs are nice and VERY affordable. They're on par w/ the high end Core 2 Quad intels but FAR less powerful then the Corei7's. If you'll hold out a little bit they'll have the DDR3 model out soon. I think they're no more than 250 for the best one. If you want to stay w/ ATI for your GPU, the 4870 is nice and Fry's has them for 199 after rebates. If you wanna go big and expensive, the 4870X2 is where it's at.

If you're wanting cuttin edge tech, Corei7,GTX line from nVidia and tri channel DDR are it ATM but you're talkin mucho dinero.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary View Post
board, chip, ram, video card..english enough?
Look, I'm not going to assume you have good shit as far as a PSU - hell you said you have RAM but you're asking for RAM. Spill the details and quit being a bitch.

Are you doing any other research? Am I to assume your PSU is from your old PC? If so, that peice of shit likely won't be enough for modern PCs if is 4 years old.

Or maybe I'm to assume you're trying to use the RAM from your old PC too? Or am I to assume you've bought new shit. Am I to assume it is good shit or bad shit? Probably just some bullshit you found on sale.

Just buy a Dell.

My '03 Sold.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
If you prefer AMD, the new Phenom 2 (II) procs are nice and VERY affordable. They're on par w/ the high end Core 2 Quad intels but FAR less powerful then the Corei7's. If you'll hold out a little bit they'll have the DDR3 model out soon. I think they're no more than 250 for the best one. If you want to stay w/ ATI for your GPU, the 4870 is nice and Fry's has them for 199 after rebates. If you wanna go big and expensive, the 4870X2 is where it's at.

If you're wanting cuttin edge tech, Corei7,GTX line from nVidia and tri channel DDR are it ATM but you're talkin mucho dinero.
All the DDR3 benchmarks I've seen are not impressive yet. I have not researched GPUs in a bit, but doesn't Nvidia still have the best bang for the buck cards?

Last I looked the AMD Phenom X3 was not bad either. A little ghetto version of the quad core CPUs from intel - but cheaper w/ decent performance - if the OP wants to stay AMD. Otherwise I'd just find a mid range quad core CPU.

My '03 Sold.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post

i have heard great things about the Phenom 2, in online reviews but never talked to anyone that actually runs it yet, i would hold out, but am ready to have new home setup going
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 AM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Just buy a Dell.
The Studio XPS right now isn't that bad of a deal. It gets you a 920 (CoreI7), 3gb ram, dvd burner, 3gb tri-channel ram, 500gb sata hd, psu, vista key, amd 3450 and a warranty. For $899. It allows for some upgrades though, the psu supports a 4870x2 and you could easily get some more ram in there.

For an AMD option, you could get an Phenom x4 920, decent board, 4gb ram and an ATi video card for around 600 too. Keep in mind that you have to take into account what your current PSU will support.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
All the DDR3 benchmarks I've seen are not impressive yet. I have not researched GPUs in a bit, but doesn't Nvidia still have the best bang for the buck cards?

Last I looked the AMD Phenom X3 was not bad either. A little ghetto version of the quad core CPUs from intel - but cheaper w/ decent performance - if the OP wants to stay AMD. Otherwise I'd just find a mid range quad core CPU.
On the GPU question, it's really a toss up. I prefer ATI and the 4870 is the most powerful for the dollar while the 9800GTX+ is right there w/ it in some benchmarks but the ATI will beat a GTX 280 and 260 in some benchmarks for far less money.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...on,2151-3.html
As for the Phenom x3, they're turds. It's a first gen Phenom w/ a bad core that's been disabled.

Here's some reviews of the Phenom II.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/CPU,1/
http://www.4shared.com/dir/12990519/...Phenom_II.html

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
duh...duh....duh

Just checked out the AMD procs a littler better and I'll stand corrected. IMHO, the Phenom II or a standard Intel quad cores are both good buys. A cursory look shows the benchmarks to be marginally better then the Intel quad core. (not the I7)

My '03 Sold.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Just checked out the AMD procs a littler better and I'll stand corrected. IMHO, the Phenom II or a standard Intel quad cores are both good buys. A cursory look shows the benchmarks to be marginally better then the Intel quad core. (not the I7)
10-4 AMD's line of GPU's and Proc's are the best bang for the buck ATM. The cool thing about the new Phenom's is they're backward compatible w/ some of the Socket AM2 and AM2+ boards provided they'll support the thermal rating of the new chip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement