post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Time Warner may cap Dallas Internet Usage

Fucking bullshit

Quote:
Time Warner Cable to expand trial of Internet caps

12:55 PM CST on Thursday, February 5, 2009

Associated Press

NEW YORK - Time Warner Cable Inc. last year became the first major U.S. Internet service provider to charge customers extra if they exceeded a certain amount of data traffic every month. That trial run apparently went well, because the company said Wednesday that it will expand the test to other cities.

Many ISPs have imposed caps on how much their subscribers can download each month. Time Warner Cable broke from the pack by setting relatively low limits — for instance, 5 gigabytes for subscribers paying $30 a month — and then charging $1 for each gigabyte over that limit.

It takes thousands of e-mails and Web pages to reach a gigabyte of usage, but video and software downloads consume much more data. A DVD-quality movie is roughly 1.5 gigabytes.

Consumer advocates have criticized the caps, saying they could discourage people from using the Internet and could stifle online video as a competitor to cable TV.

Time Warner Cable spokesman Alex Dudley said his company's trial, in Beaumont, Texas, had shown that the system is capable of metering and billing accurately. It will soon be expanded to four more markets, for now undisclosed, to give the company a better understanding of how the system works.

The intent behind charging by the gigabyte is to have subscribers who use the Internet more pay for the upgrades necessary for the company to keep up with increasing traffic, Dudley said.

"It's clear to us that customers want online video, which requires substantial investment in the network," Dudley said. "We're willing to make that, and we're trying to find an equitable way to distribute the cost of that investment."

Dudley said a "small but vocal percentage" of users in Beaumont were unhappy with the amount of data they could use (the top tier is 40 gigabytes per month). The company plans to address that by introducing plans with larger monthly "buckets" of data, as well as cheaper ones for casual users.

Time Warner Cable is the third-largest ISP in the country, with 8.7 million subscribers. AT&T Inc., the largest ISP, late last year started experimenting with bandwidth caps of 60 to 150 gigabytes per month in Reno, Nev.

Comcast Corp, the second-largest ISP, has capped use at 250 gigabytes for everyone.

Among the top four ISPs, only Verizon Communications Inc. has no caps on its wireline broadband.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Time Served

thank god I have fios.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Lifer

bullshit is right...

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:06 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Yeah, I've been watching this, was hoping (and almost certain) the trial would go poorly. But I have the feeling no matter how bad it went it was going to be a success.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Long Live T.S.

What a stupid market to try it in Beaumont, Texas come on like anyone has a computer out there anyway ....only a small percent claimed for the obvious reason...Try it in a major city and see how well that goes....This is going to be BS..

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Want Fios?

man that's a load of crap though.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:32 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54 View Post
thank god I have fios.
amen

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
amen
times dos!

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:08 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
times dos!
times double dos.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Time Served

gay, twc must have some kind of deal with Farmers Branch because Neither Fios nor U-verse is available here...

fast and cheap is not reliable...
reliable and fast is not cheap...
cheap and reliable is not fast...
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Lifer

What a crock of SHIT

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 02:05 AM
Lifer

yall should consider yourself lucky....neither Time Warner OR ATT DSL is presently available where I live. Luckily I invested in a VERY good Wifi Antenna and have discovered that several of my neighbors have unsecure networks

FUCK Canada
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Oooo im tellin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
yall should consider yourself lucky....neither Time Warner OR ATT DSL is presently available where I live. Luckily I invested in a VERY good Wifi Antenna and have discovered that several of my neighbors have unsecure networks

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 AM
duh...duh....duh

IMHO, if you signed up for unlimited usage it is truly fucked to change that on you.

I -UNDERSTAND- why they are doing things like this, but it is retarded nonetheless. If I user is only going to use 5 gig a month, chances are they don't need 10-20Mbps DL. 30 dollars for 5Gig is complete horseshit these days.

I don't know the details, but they need to ensure they offer an unlimited usage plan....or of course a number that would be theoritically impossible to meet at a reasonable price. Otherwise they're going to make the usefulness of high speed internet connections limited to a lot of people. I understand that within the 5Gig gets a lot of folks fast email and shit, but c'mon the Internet is turning into sooo much more then just web pages/email.

i.e. - Corporate LANs via L2L/Site-to-site VPNs, streaming video for XBOX/Netflix...etc, torrents (not including shady material), video for youtube..etc, backups over the Internet and the list goes on and on.

Hell, 1 video rental online (netflix...xbox...etc) can be anywhere from 500ishMb to 5Gig

My '03 Sold.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 09:00 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

sounds like TWC will lose more customers...bad business decision IMO

thank GOD I have U-Verse!

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

More news.

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archi...anding-pl.html

Quote:
Time Warner Cable expanding plan to sell metered Internet access
3:30 PM Wed, Apr 01, 2009 | Permalink
Victor Godinez/Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Andrew's written before about Time Warner Cable's experiments with selling metered high-speed Internet access, and it looks like the company is pressing ahead with the business model:

In April, Time Warner Cable will begin collecting information on its customers' Internet use in the Texas cities of Austin and San Antonio and in Rochester, N.Y. Consumption billing will begin in those cities later this summer. In Greensboro, N.C., the billing changes will begin sooner. Spun off from Time Warner (TWX) this month, Time Warner Cable had been testing a plan to meter Internet usage in Beaumont, Tex., since last year.

In the case of Time Warner Cable, customers will be charged from $29.95 to $54.90 a month, based on data consumption and desired connection speed. Customers will be charged $1 for each gigabyte (GB) over their plan's cap. Time Warner Cable offers four cap levels of 5, 10, 20, and 40 GB. A download of a high-definition movie typically eats up about 8 GB. A recent report from Sanford C. Bernstein suggests that a family on the 40 GB plan that streams 7.25 hours of online video a week (a fraction of the 60 hours Americans spend watching TV in a week) could end up spending $200 per month on broadband usage fees. And that's just for video viewing, before factoring in such Internet activities as music downloads and photo sharing.

TWC says only a handful of its customers will be hit with the highest fees, but the concern is that this model will strangle new, bandwidth-intensive services before they can even make it to market.

For example, I wrote a few days ago about a new technology called OnLive, that will supposedly let video gamers just stream their games over the Internet rather than buying an expensive console and game disc.

But the entire value of the service -- no more buying consoles and games! -- becomes null if my monthly Internet bill consequently goes up by $100 or more. If TWC's pay-per-gig plan is widely copied by other ISPs, OnLive will struggle to win customers, no matter how good its technology.

Now, add in all the growing legion of online video services -- everything from YouTube to Hulu to iTunes and the rumored online video services from the cable providers -- and it's hard to see how 40 gigabytes will be enough for the average family in a few years.

Presumably, that cap will rise over the years as TWC's capacity expands, but it's going to be awfully hard to explain to customers what benefit they'll be getting out of this new pricing plan.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 12:41 AM
11-05-09

That's fucking crazy. So when is the cap over Dallas starting?
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:46 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

If this does happen, I will immediately switch to u-verse.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Banned

I don't live in Dallas, but if that shit ever came to Waco I'm switching to something else, I may even kill myself with Comcast service. I think it's kind of odd, they did that PPM with dialup, got away from it to gain more customers, then it became standard practice, now they're trying to go back? Screw that mess.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Mavs Fan For Life!

is there a way to monitor how much gigabytes you are using? i.e. like monitoring your cell phone minutes during the month. I dont think I personally use alot, but as far as i know I could be using 20 gigabytes or 1/20th of a gigabyte. I would just like to know for the hell of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Gifs at Giftube.com
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:00 AM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmarin View Post
What a crock of SHIT
Vote with your money. If they move over to metered billing, I'm out and will likely be going to u-Verse.
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Lifer

Looks like i'll be moving to fios or u-verse as well.

Don't talk about it! Be about it!
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of choices in my area. I'm to far away from the CO to get DSL and Fios or pretty much anything else is not available for me out in Da Hood. Sucks big balls but if it came down to it I'd drop Time Warner just out of anger

Guess it's time to start exploring other options. I had ADSL at one time but than the come went out of business. Bell couldn't do it because I'm to far away from the CO and the lines in my neighborhood are to old and I'm at the end of the line. Fuck!

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 03:53 PM
is chilaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of choices in my area. I'm to far away from the CO to get DSL and Fios or pretty much anything else is not available for me out in Da Hood. Sucks big balls but if it came down to it I'd drop Time Warner just out of anger

Guess it's time to start exploring other options. I had ADSL at one time but than the come went out of business. Bell couldn't do it because I'm to far away from the CO and the lines in my neighborhood are to old and I'm at the end of the line. Fuck!

They did they say if there were any RT's out there for DSL. If not, or don't know what I mean, pm your # and I can check for RT's if you want.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
They did they say if there were any RT's out there for DSL. If not, or don't know what I mean, pm your # and I can check for RT's if you want.
RT's? Well in either case, I'd probably need a land line for DSL which I do not currently have

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:03 PM
is chilaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
RT's? Well in either case, I'd probably need a land line for DSL which I do not currently have

Remote Terminal......Equipment that provides DSL like in CO, but is out in the field that can provide DSL further than 15k from CO. You can get a dry line, which is DSL only w/out the dialtone. I'm just not sure if all areas are qualified. Service rep could tell you that probably.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Remote Terminal......Equipment that provides DSL like in CO, but is out in the field that can provide DSL further than 15k from CO. You can get a dry line, which is DSL only w/out the dialtone. I'm just not sure if all areas are qualified. Service rep could tell you that probably.
I may start looking into that just to have my options available. Fucking Time Warner

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Lifer

Even without a RT there are more options these days for customers way out there. ERDSL (extended range DSL) is the main one Im thinking of then there is Adtran or Asam. I know that wont mean shit to anyone not working for ATT but point is there are a lot of options these days.

Jose, also ATT offers "dry loop" dsl now. Basically dsl with no dial tone. I think you will pay a bit more for the DSL but it will be less than DSL/dialtone. I dont work on that end of the spectrum but if you need help let me know and I can hook you up with a number for a group that can help set you up.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 PM
is chilaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Even without a RT there are more options these days for customers way out there. ERDSL (extended range DSL) is the main one Im thinking of then there is Adtran or Asam. I know that wont mean shit to anyone not working for ATT but point is there are a lot of options these days.

Jose, also ATT offers "dry loop" dsl now. Basically dsl with no dial tone. I think you will pay a bit more for the DSL but it will be less than DSL/dialtone. I dont work on that end of the spectrum but if you need help let me know and I can hook you up with a number for a group that can help set you up.

ERDSL's aren't worth a shit. If the bricks are full, people have issue's with getting good bandwith. They have Adtrans/Alcatel in both CO and RT based, Catena's that are only RT based. It just depends on what they put out there if you're too far from CO, and that's if they put RT's out there. I would love U-verse, it's just not available where I'm at.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/I...ed-Plan-101711

Internet Responds Badly To Time Warner Cable Metered Plan
Company taking a beating from users, press, social networking users...
01:22PM Friday Apr 03 2009 by Karl Bode
tags: prices · business · bandwidth · consumers · RoadRunner Cable
The other day, Time Warner Cable used Business Week to announce that they were going to be expanding their metered billing trial -- which we first reported back in January of '08 -- into four additional markets. The trial imposes caps as low as 5GB on Time Warner Cable's existing tiers of service, charging users an additional $1 per each gigabyte consumed. In the report, company CEO Glenn Britt claimed flat-rate pricing was not "viable," an argument they have no data to support, and one which we've repeatedly refuted.

"We've shared our analysis of our data. We're not going to share raw data...just not going to happen.
-Time Warner Cable, on proving, via hard data, their claim that flat-rate pricing is not a viable business model
While the original metered billing announcment was met with scattered grumbling among the technorati, user reaction to the expansion announcement was broad, swift and brutal.

A number of user-created websites quickly popped up urging customers to contact Time Warner Cable in protest. Users of news aggregation systems like Redditt and Digg screamed bloody murder. Website commentary wasn't much kinder, most sites classifying the move as unnecessary, anti-competitive, and a threat to content innovation.

Meanwhile, Time Warner Cable public relations employees on social networking website Twitter (like spokesman Alex Dudley and PR coordinator Mariam Asmar) have been bombarded with complaints. Armed with only talking points about how charging users more money for less service is an act of philanthropy and fairness -- last we checked they weren't faring particularly well.

Still, these front-line warriors deserve credit for very politely taking the brunt of the backlash directly on the chin, while the executives who thought the idea up spent the week wining and dining one another at industry trade shows like CTIA in Las Vegas or The Cable Show in Washington, DC.

While many American consumers may not know what a gigabyte is, they apparently understand enough to be skeptical when an already very profitable company starts complaining about not having the necessary resources to afford (relatively) inexpensive upgrades. They also understand that being charged a dollar per gigabyte for bandwidth the carrier pays pennies for is directly tied to the desire to protect TV revenues from Internet video.

The company continues to request your input, which can be (politely) delivered by contacting your local Time Warner Cable office, or by e-mailing the carrier at [email protected].

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
ERDSL's aren't worth a shit. If the bricks are full, people have issue's with getting good bandwith. They have Adtrans/Alcatel in both CO and RT based, Catena's that are only RT based. It just depends on what they put out there if you're too far from CO, and that's if they put RT's out there. I would love U-verse, it's just not available where I'm at.
Adtrans/Asams arent CO based. They are RT based hence the signaling coming on on the APG/TPG out in the field and both just use regular non-catena PG F1's to provide the dialtone. I assign them all the time with no F1's if they are dryloop.

Now the ERDSL issue I have never heard about but from what all the techs tell me when we test with NOC the numbers look decent but then again, like you said, that may be only when the bricks arent maxed out.

Of course take all this with a grain of salt, I dont work in the NOC so I never see numbers. I work in FAC's assigning these orders so this is just my expirience talking to techs out in the field. As long as they get sync then Im done on my side.
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 11:14 PM
T-MINUS

I'm curious, I've been on Satellite and wi-fi for so long I can't remember - but are lines owned by certain providers or can you change to whoever you want to use?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Not as good but better. I still haven't searched around for another ISP yet if I can't find one at least I've got (more expensive) options with Time Warner available

Quote:
Time Warner Cable explains metered Internet plans, to offer unlimited bandwidth for $150 per month
1:14 PM Fri, Apr 10, 2009 | Permalink
Victor Godinez/Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

TWC has announced some new details of its plan to charge broadband customers based on how many gigabytes of data they download in a month:

• We are increasing the bandwidth tier sizes included in all existing packages in the trial markets to 10, 20, 40 and 60 GB for Road Runner Lite, Basic, Standard and Turbo packages, respectively. Package prices will remain the same. Overage charges will be $1 per GB per month.

• We will introduce a 100 GB Road Runner Turbo package for $75 per month (offering speeds of 10 MB/1 MB). Overage charges will be $1 per GB per month.

• Overage charges will be capped at $75 per month. That means that for $150 per month customers could have virtually unlimited usage at Turbo speeds.

I actually have some questions about that $150 bill for unlimited downloading. After all, if the overage charge is capped at $75, couldn't you just sign up for the cheapest plan (1 gig for $15) and then your maximum bill would be $90 for unlimited downloading, rather than $150?

Either way, though, this is a deal so raw that it's practically bleeding.

For example, if you're fortunate enough to live in an area where Verizon's Fios fiber optic Internet service is available, you can get 10 megabit down/2 megabit up service with unlimited monthly downloading for $44.99.

I don't think these new details from TWC are going to do much to mollify the angry mobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I'm curious, I've been on Satellite and wi-fi for so long I can't remember - but are lines owned by certain providers or can you change to whoever you want to use?
I have no idea what you are asking Sean

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 04:00 PM
not exclude

I've already priced out my move to either ATT or Grande here in Austin. I've sent my emails to the local reps stating my disatisfaction. It won't be a hard transition for me (beside having to decide between ATT uVerse or Grande's all fiber network, hrmm...)
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 04:16 PM
HPP = GHEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06S197GT View Post
gay, twc must have some kind of deal with Farmers Branch because Neither Fios nor U-verse is available here...
frisco either...

Nick's Custom Detailing 214-205-1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybo View Post
Don't care if you do. This is not going to be another talk about Kenny's Cobalt thread. I know what my other car runs and I am proud of it. It might be hard for you to swallow that pill, but there are lots of 4 bangers that run 13s and better. SRT-4 Neons, Cobalt SS's, Saturn Sky Redline's and Evo's do it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
HPP FUCKED ME OVER!!!
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Looks like we won... for now!

Time Warner Cable cancels metered Internet pilot programs after public outrage

Time Warner shelves plans for tiered internet pricing

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 02:38 PM
is chilaxing

They actually listened to customers.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 02:39 PM
11-05-09

post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 02:20 AM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
They actually listened to customers.
actually they listened to new york legislators, not so much the customers. Pretty sad IMO.

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 05:19 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang View Post
actually they listened to new york legislators, not so much the customers. Pretty sad IMO.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:01 AM
is chilaxing

They're adding meters in San Antonio....

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...customers.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement