Laptop Drive Replacement - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Laptop Drive Replacement

Replacing the 120GB in my XPS M1710, most likely going up to 500GB.

Newegg has a 7200rpm Seagate for $140 and multiple 5400rpm units for around $100.

Is the extra RPM worth the $40?

This is my main computer and although it is a laptop, I never take it anywhere anymore since I bought the net book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Rolling with the homies

Probably note IMO but I guess it depends on what you do what your laptop. On my MacBook I upgraded from the 80GB HD to a 320GB HD 5400 RPM. Stock RPM was 5400. It ran fine for what I do with it (surf the internet, rip CD's and DVD's, watch movies, etc.) so I couldn't justify the cost of the 7200 RPM HD's.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Lifer

A couple years ago I upgraded the 60gig 5400 rpm drive in my old Compaq to a 100gb 7200 rpm drive and I couldn't tell much of a difference. Supposedly if you run multiple applications that require heavy access of the drive that you will notice a difference, but I wouldn't pay a lot of extra money for the few milliseconds difference.

FUCK Canada

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 PM
El Camino

I can tell the difference. I have typically had 7200 rpm laptop drives then for a bit had to use a 5400 one and they are noticeably slower in my opinion.

Granted I spend all day on mine and work in IT

To me its worth it for the boot up time and access time improvements.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

It seems like the higher RPM models would be more susceptible to failure in a shorter time frame. Any truth to that or am I just over thinking it?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

In general, rotational speed effects the access time, because the HD has to wait for the platter to turn to the correct position. The faster RPM has a quicker access time. In my home desk computer, I have a 10,000RPM Raptor. It is blazing.

Fast RPM drives use more energy to spin faster, so this would reduce battery life.

Reliability wise in a laptop, I don't think it should be an issue with modern HDs.

Last edited by TexasDevilDog; 02-06-2009 at 08:55 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Time Served

Personally, any drive that has my OS on it will be a 7200 rpm drive because it will use part of hard drive as a pagefile/swap partition.

If it's an extra drive that stores mp3s, movies, etc then 5400 rpm will be fine.

Whether it's worth $40 for a marginal speed increase is up to you. Personally I would get the 7200 though.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

I went ahead and ordered the WD 500GB Scorpio 5400rpm from Newegg.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is the drive showed up in the anti-static bag wrapped in bubble wrap - not in the retail box. Everything else I have ordered from Newegg has arrived in the retail package. I'm pretty sure there is some warranty paperwork and registration forms that are supposed to come with it too.

Has anyone else had this happen?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

go back and look at the item description for the drive you ordered. If it says OEM anywhere in the description, then that's all you'll get, just a bare drive...no cables, no software, no paperwork.

It's not that big of a deal for most people though. If you are concerned with the warranty, I would call WD and ask them if they would honor a warranty on an OEM drive and how to go about registering it.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
go back and look at the item description for the drive you ordered. If it says OEM anywhere in the description, then that's all you'll get, just a bare drive...no cables, no software, no paperwork.

It's not that big of a deal for most people though. If you are concerned with the warranty, I would call WD and ask them if they would honor a warranty on an OEM drive and how to go about registering it.
Got it -went back and looked and it does say OEM, I could have sworn that it said retail but apparently I was wrong.

Wasn't too worried about it, it just kind of threw me for a second when I opened the box and all that is in there peanuts/bubble wrap and eventually you find a drive.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:40 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
Replacing the 120GB in my XPS M1710, most likely going up to 500GB.

Newegg has a 7200rpm Seagate for $140 and multiple 5400rpm units for around $100.

Is the extra RPM worth the $40?

This is my main computer and although it is a laptop, I never take it anywhere anymore since I bought the net book.
yes it certainly is worth the difference, 7200rpm drives are significantly faster. I twill decrease your load times on all applications as well as overall speed of your OS.

edit: looks like I was too late.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
yes it certainly is worth the difference, 7200rpm drives are significantly faster. I twill decrease your load times on all applications as well as overall speed of your OS.

edit: looks like I was too late.
The stock drive was a 5400rpm and it really didn't seem to have any load time problems. I am just out of space on the 120GB.

The other concern I had was overheating - I had read some reviews that said the 7200rpm drives run a little hotter than the 5400rm. This thing already overheats as soon as the GPU has to do any work at all - poor design on Dell's part, but I digress.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:43 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
The stock drive was a 5400rpm and it really didn't seem to have any load time problems. I am just out of space on the 120GB.

The other concern I had was overheating - I had read some reviews that said the 7200rpm drives run a little hotter than the 5400rm. This thing already overheats as soon as the GPU has to do any work at all - poor design on Dell's part, but I digress.
you should try blowing it out, might have some dust in there. Also, place the laptop on a base which has good air flow.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
you should try blowing it out, might have some dust in there. Also, place the laptop on a base which has good air flow.
I cleaned it out 3-4 months ago, on the M1710 it requires a complete(LCD panel, keyboard, palmrest, heatsink removal) teardown to clean. I'm about to buy some new fans, and clean the heatsinks again.
There is a well documented problem(by everyone except Dell) with these and the newer models overheating. I went rounds with tech support(while under warranty) to try and get a resolution. After the warranty expired, I found an aftermarket fan controller that actually turns the fans on when it gets hot instead of letting it get hot enough to cook off of before blanking and forcing a shutdown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement