Where to buy a cheap copy of XP? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Where to buy a cheap copy of XP?

My HDD took a dump on me so I had to install a new one, and now I need to install an OS. I've got a Vista disk from work, but I'm thinking it's only an upgrade for an existing OS, becasue it doesn't boot. The PC is for web and e-mail and not much else so XP would be fine, where can I find a cheap OEM copy?

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Rolling with the homies

Find an OEM copy of XP. I think Fry's might sell them and you can find them online like at Tiger Direct. Think I bought mine for $120 a while back.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Lifer

[email protected]

Tell him Dee sent you. He might have some.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Lifer

Did you try craigslist?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Lifer

Download winlite for free which will allow you to edit the disc and you can create a bootable version of it. Fuck PAYING for XP

FUCK Canada
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Packin' up...

If it was a legit copy of windows just call Microsoft and tell them your story.

The HDD failed on the computer windows was on, the old activation key is this, the old HDD is unrepairable and has been trashed, please give me a new activation code.

Then you get to listen to an indian kid give you a 25 digit code one letter at a time. ;p
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
If it was a legit copy of windows just call Microsoft and tell them your story.

The HDD failed on the computer windows was on, the old activation key is this, the old HDD is unrepairable and has been trashed, please give me a new activation code.

Then you get to listen to an indian kid give you a 25 digit code one letter at a time. ;p
While that would be correct....I don't think it addresses the primary problem that his "UPGRADE" copy is not a bootable copy which means his computer will not boot to the setup windows screen. I had an UPGRADE version of XP Home that was exactly the same...so I used Winlite to add the necessary boot file and then reburned the disc on a blank CD-R..and PRESTO...a Bootable upgrade version of XP. If this is not the case...then I guess I misunderstood his problem. Registration keys are SOOOO EASY to get its retarded.

FUCK Canada
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
While that would be correct....I don't think it addresses the primary problem that his "UPGRADE" copy is not a bootable copy which means his computer will not boot to the setup windows screen. I had an UPGRADE version of XP Home that was exactly the same...so I used Winlite to add the necessary boot file and then reburned the disc on a blank CD-R..and PRESTO...a Bootable upgrade version of XP. If this is not the case...then I guess I misunderstood his problem. Registration keys are SOOOO EASY to get its retarded.
I figured he had his own copy, but brought a disk from work home to try to fix it. I've never heard of Winlite, but i may check it out as my parent's XP PC needs a reformat, but I don't have anymore keys.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
I figured he had his own copy, but brought a disk from work home to try to fix it. I've never heard of Winlite, but i may check it out as my parent's XP PC needs a reformat, but I don't have anymore keys.
The old HDD had an OEM copy of XP on it. I actully have a copy of Vista I got through work, but as ram57ta said, it's an upgrade so I don't have a bootable copy. If winlite will work on that I'll give it a shot. The Vista CD has a key on the sleeve if that make a difference.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
Download winlite for free which will allow you to edit the disc and you can create a bootable version of it. Fuck PAYING for XP
Do you have a link for winlite? What I'm finding on google ways it's malware...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
The old HDD had an OEM copy of XP on it. I actully have a copy of Vista I got through work, but as ram57ta said, it's an upgrade so I don't have a bootable copy. If winlite will work on that I'll give it a shot. The Vista CD has a key on the sleeve if that make a difference.
Technically speaking you can downgrade any license to a lower version. So you do have a "legal" key with your Vista. It however will not work to install Vista. Call MS and tell them you would like to downgrade and use your legal Vista key.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Do you have a link for winlite? What I'm finding on google ways it's malware...
I apolegize greatly for that typo. The program is called nLite. I have used it to change and customize many windows installs. I have never tried it on Vista. Basically nLite takes your OEM Windows XP disc and saves it to your computer in a folder you specify in whole. You then can open nLite, tell it to open that Windows installation up so you can make changes to it. You can install drivers so that they install automatically during windows installation so you won't have to do it after your windows setup is done, you can put in your windows key so that you wont be asked to do it during the install....hell for the most part you can make a windows XP damn near totally automated so you can walk away from the computer and come back to a working computer. It will take some playing with to get it to do what you want it to do but once you get familiar with it, it can simplify setting up a new install greatly. I also found out that some windows XP discs won't boot up into installation since they are upgrade only versions. nLite can turn that disc into a bootable Windows setup so you will not have to upgrade. I have done it several times.

They have apparently updated now to include Vista.

http://www.nliteos.com/

FUCK Canada
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Do you have a prebuilt machine? Like a dell or hp? If so, I can send you a copy of the oem, if I don't get banned.

The oem reads the bios and if its an HP or whatever, skips activation.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Well, the Vista wouldn't boot because of a dumb oversight. Vista is generally put on DVD because of the size, and without thinking, I was trying to install it with a CDR drive. I now have a DVD drive, and got Vista installed, but it's a trial version (I knew that) with an expired key. So now I have Vista installed (I'd rather have XP), and still no usable computer. What a PITA. Even though I've got at least 2 drives with an OEM OS on them, I'm still proabbaly gonna end up having to buy XP. Frustrating...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x View Post
Do you have a prebuilt machine? Like a dell or hp? If so, I can send you a copy of the oem, if I don't get banned.

The oem reads the bios and if its an HP or whatever, skips activation.
It's actually a new case, board, and CPU, but I still have the drives out of 2 old OEM machines. I've been unable to get either of those drives up and running, so I bought a new SATA drive thinking I could run that trial Vista to get into either old drive as a secondary drive, and get the install info to prove to Microsoft that I've got a licensed copy of XP.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:39 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

well, you could try the Windows7 Beta, it's free.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

If it was an oem mobo, you could use one of my hp/dell/etc disc and you won't have to activate it, since it checks the mobo for the "OEM STRING"

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x View Post
If it was an oem mobo, you could use one of my hp/dell/etc disc and you won't have to activate it, since it checks the mobo for the "OEM STRING"
Unfortunately it's not an OEM mobo, because I wanted a little bit newer processor, so I bought a complimentary mobo. I just kept the oem HDDs.

"If I only knew then what I know now..."

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

do you have to have a "legit" copy?

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Thats against the law Man

Seeing as though this thread is a month old now, I'd hate to hear that you are still fucking with this...but if you are, hit me up....I'll get you taken care of.

69/70ish Mustang
Dedicated To The Hater Purists

70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement