Vista help - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Vista help

Just installed Vista x64 on my computer and for whatever reason my internet is much slower, especially my download speeds, normally i've got download speeds of around 500K, right now it's sitting at 40K. What can i fix?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 AM
Lifer

ethernet drivers?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Says they're loaded.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

newest release? downgrade one verison.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
newest release? downgrade one verison.
No option to roll back.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
No option to roll back.

Youll have to download an older set. Go to whoever your nic card manu site and down them from there. like realtek.

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Youll have to download an older set. Go to whoever your nic card manu site and down them from there. like realtek.
Looks like those are for an external ethernet card, I'm using the onboard ethernet connection from my mobo. Couldn't find an earlier driver from my mobo.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Lifer

XP>vista

FUCK Canada
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
XP>vista
indeed

I have vista on my work laptop...and it sucks

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:05 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
XP>vista
If you don't know what you're doing - yes, XP is a lot more simple and less scary. Vista is a absolutely fantastic operating system.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:06 PM
CJ

Quote:
Just installed Vista x64 on my computer and for whatever reason my internet is much slower, especially my download speeds, normally i've got download speeds of around 500K, right now it's sitting at 40K. What can i fix?
1) install Firefox to verify it isn't an internet explorer issue.

2) Disable windows firewall to verify if it's a conflict (this is very common).

3) Are you running third party anti-virus programs - specifically McAfee or Norton.? Disable them to troubleshoot.

If that doesn't solve it there's two other things that probably are the issue.

Last edited by CJ; 12-21-2008 at 08:19 PM.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
1) install Firefox to verify it isn't an internet explorer issue.

2) Disable windows firewall to verify if it's a conflict (this is very common).

3) Are you running third party anti-virus programs - specifically McAfee.? Disable them to troubleshoot.

If that doesn't solve it there's two other things that probably are the issue.

It's more of a download issue with my overall connection, I was running between 430K and 480K download speed on Utorrent with XP, Vista is just running 40-80k. My IE and FF run fine, but even simple downloads are only downloading at like 15k a second. I've disabled the firewall and it's the same thing. Don't have any sort of AV programs installed, never really needed them before.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:24 PM
CJ

Quote:
It's more of a download issue with my overall connection, I was running between 430K and 480K download speed on Utorrent with XP, Vista is just running 40-80k. My IE and FF run fine, but even simple downloads are only downloading at like 15k a second. I've disabled the firewall and it's the same thing. Don't have any sort of AV programs installed, never really needed them before.
Well if it's a download issue with your overall connection vista wouldn't be the culprit. If your download speeds were good with XP and now are not good with Vista, and you have another XP machine to verify it isn't your hardline connection then it must be a vista conflict.

As long as you are positive you disabled windows firewall, and have no third part anti-virus or firewall programs installed, and your drivers are current, the next thing to check is remote differential compression. Control Panel>>Programs and Features, click on ‘Turn windows features on or off’ on the left side of the screen and Uncheck ‘Remote Differential Compression’.

Some routers conflict with Vista's network transfer protocols. One of the other things I would recommend would be to either set your computer as the DMZ, or circumvent your router all together and plug your system directly into the modem.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Well if it's a download issue with your overall connection vista wouldn't be the culprit. If your download speeds were good with XP and now are not good with Vista, and you have another XP machine to verify it isn't your hardline connection then it must be a vista conflict.

As long as you are positive you disabled windows firewall, and have no third part anti-virus or firewall programs installed, and your drivers are current, the next thing to check is remote differential compression. Control Panel>>Programs and Features, click on ‘Turn windows features on or off’ on the left side of the screen and Uncheck ‘Remote Differential Compression’.

Some routers conflict with Vista's network transfer protocols. One of the other things I would recommend would be to either set your computer as the DMZ, or circumvent your router all together and plug your system directly into the modem.
Yeah it's got to be a conflict with Vista, I can hook my internet up to my old computer (xp) and turn it on and my speeds are fine. I'm definitely sure my firewall is off because I've got the stupid Vista msg saying "hey, you're a risk, you don't have a firewall blah blah blah..".

Give me a min, trying your second suggestion with the RDC

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:41 PM
CJ

Quote:
Yeah it's got to be a conflict with Vista, I can hook my internet up to my old computer (xp) and turn it on and my speeds are fine. I'm definitely sure my firewall is off because I've got the stupid Vista msg saying "hey, you're a risk, you don't have a firewall blah blah blah..".

Give me a min, trying your second suggestion with the RDC
To troubleshoot it try RDC, that causes issues sometimes, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

After that, run this speed test to check to see if it is a browser port issue, if that doesn't work we need to make sure we're not wasting our time in vista. Bypass your router all together and check it.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
To troubleshoot it try RDC, that causes issues sometimes, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

After that, run this speed test to check to see if it is a browser port issue, if that doesn't work we need to make sure we're not wasting our time in vista. Bypass your router all together and check it.
Whatever it was that 2nd option seemed to work. Any thoughts about that? Cause I have no clue what that did.

Results from the speed test.
Last Result:
Download Speed: 6696 kbps (837 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 491 kbps (61.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Loves the Haterz!!

Heres the fix.

switch back to XP and be done with Vista.

Wake up and smell the Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I just crave meat...so any of those places is always good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Notch View Post
I never got the "talk" from either of my parents
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunter bob
Heres the fix.

switch back to XP and be done with Vista.
Change is scary, I understand that, but Vista is a better OS than XP is, plain and simple - Everyone bitched and moaned about going from Dos to windows 3.11, Windows 3.11 to Windows 95, Windows 95 to windows 98, windows 98 to windows 2000, windows 2000 to windows xp, and now, here we are again the 6th time. And Vista, by far, has been the most seamless and easy transition, and frankly, the best platform they've ever made.

Vista uses RDC to compress the data in an attempt to minimize transfers and optimize available bandwidth, it can conflict with some routers.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:

Vista uses RDC to compress the data in an attempt to minimize transfers and optimize available bandwidth, it can conflict with some routers.

I dont have my full download speeds back, but I've got about half of it back, which is better then nothing.

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 PM
CJ

Quote:
I dont have my full download speeds back, but I've got about half of it back, which is better then nothing.
remove the router from the mix is the next step.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
remove the router from the mix is the next step.
I don't have a router, just my cable modem

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 PM
CJ

Quote:
I don't have a router, just my cable modem
what kind of lan adapter are you using? I'm assuming it's onboard, who makes it?
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
what kind of lan adapter are you using? I'm assuming it's onboard, who makes it?
It's a Biostar Mobo, think it's a Marvell Yukon ethernet adapter, I've got the latest driver for it though.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:28 PM
CJ

Quote:
It's a Biostar Mobo, think it's a Marvell Yukon ethernet adapter, I've got the latest driver for it though.
Well I'm a proponent for speed troubleshooting, my next step would be to toss in a cheap 10/100 pci card and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it then it's certainly a vista conflict.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Well I'm a proponent for speed troubleshooting, my next step would be to toss in a cheap 10/100 pci card and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it then it's certainly a vista conflict.
Yeah I know what you're saying, odd thing is my other computer is using an onboard ethernet adapter.

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:48 PM
CJ

Quote:
Yeah I know what you're saying, odd thing is my other computer is using an onboard ethernet adapter.
there's nothing wrong with onboard adapters, it just depends on the brand, and their driver quality/ability to create vista drivers. I've never even heard of that kind of onboard adapter, and I did a quick search and saw a few people complaining about vista issues and going back to xp.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

what exact mobo do you have?

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
what exact mobo do you have?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138102

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

and you tried this driver?

http://www.marvell.com/drivers/drive...o?driverId=154

updated earlier this month.

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
and you tried this driver?

http://www.marvell.com/drivers/drive...o?driverId=154

updated earlier this month.
It comes back as object not found, but im pretty sure that's the one i have.

post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

http://www.download.com/yk60x64-v10-..._4-179994.html

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 AM
duh...duh....duh

persistence will pay off. Stick with Vista if you got it, it is now a solid OS for personal/workstation use and you'll only be that much farther behind if you don't learn to use it now.

Besides, it's not really that much different than XP.

My '03 Sold.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:00 PM
IA2

Quote:
Change is scary, I understand that, but Vista is a better OS than XP is, plain and simple - Everyone bitched and moaned about going from Dos to windows 3.11, Windows 3.11 to Windows 95, Windows 95 to windows 98, windows 98 to windows 2000, windows 2000 to windows xp, and now, here we are again the 6th time. And Vista, by far, has been the most seamless and easy transition, and frankly, the best platform they've ever made.

Groan.... windows for workgroups 3.11 (32 bit disk access!) and windows ME (the suck). Windows 95/98 were smooth for me, as was 2000 and XP. At the moment XP (and ubuntu) get the job done, no reason to me to switch to vista.

Anyway, enough with the thread hijack, and back to the OPs problem.
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
Groan.... windows for workgroups 3.11 (32 bit disk access!) and windows ME (the suck). Windows 95/98 were smooth for me, as was 2000 and XP. At the moment XP (and ubuntu) get the job done, no reason to me to switch to vista.

Anyway, enough with the thread hijack, and back to the OPs problem.
DirectX 10 and security would be the primary reasons off the top of my head.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
DirectX 10 and security would be the primary reasons off the top of my head.

security and windows...........dotdotdot

post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 01:01 AM
CJ

Quote:
security and windows...........dotdotdot
no matter how you slice it vista UAC closes the huge ass security hole every previous version of windows had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement