Another free XBox 360 with a flat screen deal.. - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,859
Another free XBox 360 with a flat screen deal..

This time at best buy..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

$899.98 gets you a Samsung 42" plasma or 37" LCD (both 720p) and an XBox 360 Pro with the holiday bundle..

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sgt Beavis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 AM
too many projects!
 
TX21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: you cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning
Posts: 5,196
Not a bad price.

PHUKET
A coward dies a thousand deaths
A soldier dies but once.
TX21 is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 488
Sweet, looks like the kids' Christmas just got a little bit nicer!

'04 Beige on Black 40th Anniversary GT, O/R-H, LTs, MagnaFlow Catback, JLT RAI, Xcal II, 75mm TB/upper, Comp Cam EE Stage 3s, 3.73s, CHE LCA/UCAs, & MGW Shorty. 298hp/304tq
quikbluewagon is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 956
Would be nicer if they were 1080 instead of 720. To bad you can't upgrade!
Web Guy is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Lifer
 
crmarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Guy
Would be nicer if they were 1080 instead of 720. To bad you can't upgrade!
Can you honestly tell the difference? You need professional equipment or a really well trained eye to tell the difference.

Don't buy into the whole 1080P craze... the human eye can't decipher between the two until you get to massive sized displays (80"+).

crmarin is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:53 PM
fuckcanada
 
Roliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: fuckcanada
Posts: 5,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmarin
Can you honestly tell the difference? You need professional equipment or a really well trained eye to tell the difference.

Don't buy into the whole 1080P craze... the human eye can't decipher between the two until you get to massive sized displays (80"+).
I'm sorry, but I can definitely see a clarity/sharpness difference between the two.
Especially if there's a PC connected to them, at that point 1080p is not a "craze".

Roliath is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Stephenville
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
I'm sorry, but I can definitely see a clarity/sharpness difference between the two.
Especially if there's a PC connected to them, at that point. 1080p is not a "craze"
I agree I worked in the home theatre department of Best Buy for 2 years and I have owned a 720p, 1080i, and now a 42" top of the line LG. And with my XBox and an HDMI cable the difference is amazing. Hook a blue ray player to a 720 tv and then to a 1080p and tell me you can't see the difference. 1080p FTW. Just my .02$.

D

Big D is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Lifer
 
greenrebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: DFW
Posts: 4,291
Wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmarin
Can you honestly tell the difference? You need professional equipment or a really well trained eye to tell the difference.

Don't buy into the whole 1080P craze... the human eye can't decipher between the two until you get to massive sized displays (80"+).
greenrebel is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcrazy
Wrong...
x2

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sgt Beavis is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Lifer
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmarin
Can you honestly tell the difference? You need professional equipment or a really well trained eye to tell the difference.

Don't buy into the whole 1080P craze... the human eye can't decipher between the two until you get to massive sized displays (80"+).

Well shit, now you tell me. Can you explain where you got that rationale from or cite your source?
Grant is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Lifer
 
crmarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Well shit, now you tell me. Can you explain where you got that rationale from or cite your source?
No source... just from experience.

Most people (as well as all the loudmouths here yelling WRONG) have never seen a properly set up demo to compare the two i.e. a true 1080p display matched to a true 1080p source next to a true 720p (not the 768 native that most consumer plasmas really are) hooked to a native 720p source. It's all about pixel mapping. The so called "experts" here have probably seen a demo where the difference is obvious because of poor scaling. Even with BluRay or HD-DVD, you're still not seeing a fair comparison because there are many more factors involved in the final output (quality of the transfer, scaling done by the player, scaling done by the set)

Roliath is the only one that made sense, when hooked up to a PC, then yes, the difference CAN be seen because a PC can output a native signal (1080, 720, whatever) and therefore there no scaling involved.


I'm not saying that they are the same, they are not. I'm not trying to defend one versus the other. All I'm saying is that people are very quick to knock 720p displays on this case, without the proper knowledge, who knows, they might not ever connect it to a true 1080p source... in which case, they'll have 1080p for bragging rights alone.

Pixel mapping & matching and proper video processing are a lot more important than max display resolution, i.e. think audio for a moment, max-watts vs RMS-watts and you'll understand my logic here.

You can start the name calling now, which is to be expected in DFWstangs.

crmarin is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Lifer
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,204
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmarin
No source... just from experience.

Most people (as well as all the loudmouths here yelling WRONG) have never seen a properly set up demo to compare the two i.e. a true 1080p display matched to a true 1080p source next to a true 720p (not the 768 native that most consumer plasmas really are) hooked to a native 720p source. It's all about pixel mapping. The so called "experts" here have probably seen a demo where the difference is obvious because of poor scaling. Even with BluRay or HD-DVD, you're still not seeing a fair comparison because there are many more factors involved in the final output (quality of the transfer, scaling done by the player, scaling done by the set)

Roliath is the only one that made sense, when hooked up to a PC, then yes, the difference CAN be seen because a PC can output a native signal (1080, 720, whatever) and therefore there no scaling involved.


I'm not saying that they are the same, they are not. I'm not trying to defend one versus the other. All I'm saying is that people are very quick to knock 720p displays on this case, without the proper knowledge, who knows, they might not ever connect it to a true 1080p source... in which case, they'll have 1080p for bragging rights alone.

Pixel mapping & matching and proper video processing are a lot more important than max display resolution, i.e. think audio for a moment, max-watts vs RMS-watts and you'll understand my logic here.

You can start the name calling now, which is to be expected in DFWstangs.
So, the only true native 1080p source is from a PC? That'd be the only situation where you could see the difference in 1080p/720p?
Grant is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Lifer
 
crmarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
So, the only true native 1080p source is from a PC?
No, not by any means. What I implied was that for most people that's the only available source of a native 1080p signal, since there are no broadcasts (uncompressed) that are shot, produced and delivered in native 1080p format. BluRay movies are transferred from film media to bitstream by scanning original celluloid film, so the quality of the transfer can vary from movie to movie... even from scene to scene; the only exception, I think, would be a movie shot in digital cinema (StarWars EP II and III, Sin City, Apocalypto, Ultraviolet, Once Upon a Time in Mexico), which are rumored to be shot with cameras that can capture 7680 x 4320 resolution, but are already in a bitstream form, therefore no scanning of analog media is involved... so while BluRay is the most common form of available 1080p material right now, it's not the most consistent way to test between HD formats.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
That'd be the only situation where you could see the difference in 1080p/720p?
Again, no... in my original post I stated that regardless of the source (native or not), the difference is more than likely to be highly perceivable with a LARGE display.


READ BELOW!
Again guys, I'm not knocking 1080p as a technology, I'm not trying to defend one versus the other. All I'm saying is that people are very quick to knock 720p displays, without the proper knowledge, who knows, they might not ever connect it to a true 1080p source... in which case, they'll have 1080p for bragging rights alone.

crmarin is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 AM
que?
 
grove rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,662
nice
grove rat is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Lifer
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmarin
No, not by any means. What I implied was that for most people that's the only available source of a native 1080p signal, since there are no broadcasts (uncompressed) that are shot, produced and delivered in native 1080p format. BluRay movies are transferred from film media to bitstream by scanning original celluloid film, so the quality of the transfer can vary from movie to movie... even from scene to scene; the only exception, I think, would be a movie shot in digital cinema (StarWars EP II and III, Sin City, Apocalypto, Ultraviolet, Once Upon a Time in Mexico), which are rumored to be shot with cameras that can capture 7680 x 4320 resolution, but are already in a bitstream form, therefore no scanning of analog media is involved... so while BluRay is the most common form of available 1080p material right now, it's not the most consistent way to test between HD formats.




Again, no... in my original post I stated that regardless of the source (native or not), the difference is more than likely to be highly perceivable with a LARGE display.


READ BELOW!
Again guys, I'm not knocking 1080p as a technology, I'm not trying to defend one versus the other. All I'm saying is that people are very quick to knock 720p displays, without the proper knowledge, who knows, they might not ever connect it to a true 1080p source... in which case, they'll have 1080p for bragging rights alone.

I'm just really dissecting and disagreeing with your 720p VS. 1080p argument being relative and more opinion based than factual. What do I know though, I only have a few different native 1080p/24 sources and TV's.

I guess the purposes of your posts are to give people the 30,000 ft view of the differences, otherwise I'm not really sure. It's made up of a lot of opinion and that's kinda hard to relay when you're telling others what they can and cannot see through their sources/displays.

Last edited by Grant; 12-19-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Grant is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Lifer
 
crmarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
I'm just really dissecting and disagreeing with your 720p VS. 1080p argument being relative and more opinion based than factual. What do I know though, I only have a few different native 1080p/24 sources and TV's.

I guess the purposes of your posts are to give people the 30,000 ft view of the differences, otherwise I'm not really sure. It's made up of a lot of opinion and that's kinda hard to relay when you're telling others what they can and cannot see through their sources/displays.
Dissecting you are... no doubt!

All I meant to say is that the difference is not as dramatic as some make it out to be. Some folks (no, I'm not talking about anyone in this thread) act as if the difference is a big as going from tape to CD, from NTSC to HD... it's not. It's HD, just a bit better.

Do we really have to get all wound-up about that?

crmarin is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 956
With my PS3 and Blueray you can tell the difference. I have played the PS3 on both a 720 and 1080 and by far the 1080 won hands down. I am about to get a new TV next week and can't decide on LCD, PLASMA or DLP. I know the DLP I can get a larger TV for the buck. So I am undecided.
Web Guy is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Lifer
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmarin
Dissecting you are... no doubt!

All I meant to say is that the difference is not as dramatic as some make it out to be. Some folks (no, I'm not talking about anyone in this thread) act as if the difference is a big as going from tape to CD, from NTSC to HD... it's not. It's HD, just a bit better.

Do we really have to get all wound-up about that?
Not wound up at all, just sayin'..I agree that people make too big of a deal about the difference, when most of the time they don't have sources to take advantage of their displays.
Grant is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Lifer
 
crmarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Not wound up at all, just sayin'..I agree that people make too big of a deal about the difference, when most of the time they don't have sources to take advantage of their displays.

AMEN!

I just wouldn't be right if we didn't debate about every word in every post, right? After all, this is DFWstangs, where everybody knows everything and no one is ever wrong

crmarin is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Lifer
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmarin
AMEN!

I just wouldn't be right if we didn't debate about every word in every post, right? After all, this is DFWstangs, where everybody knows everything and no one is ever wrong
Do I really have to explain what is wrong with this post too?
Grant is offline  
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmarin
Dissecting you are... no doubt!

All I meant to say is that the difference is not as dramatic as some make it out to be. Some folks (no, I'm not talking about anyone in this thread) act as if the difference is a big as going from tape to CD, from NTSC to HD... it's not. It's HD, just a bit better.

Do we really have to get all wound-up about that?

I agree and disagree. Agreed the difference is not dramatic, but i disagree that it isn't noticable. With the tv settings set up properly i can tell a difference, whether or not it warrants spending the extra money on 1080p is a matter or opinion, but i went with 1080 myself.
sickspeedgt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome