I know one of you have to have this lying around... - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
aka The Cougar
 
Leah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: under investigationalmentalisms
Posts: 16,782
I know one of you have to have this lying around...

We are putting in a wireless card in Chilis son's computer for one of his Christmas presents and thought I would ask if anyone has an extra one lying around that we could either have or buy cheap before I go buy one at the store.

TIA!
Leah

Token Split Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW stangs.
Leah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Lifer
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,204
You can get a PCI wifi card for around $8. There's an airlink MIMO style (2 antennas) that I bought for under $10 at Fry's.
Grant is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
aka The Cougar
 
Leah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: under investigationalmentalisms
Posts: 16,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
You can get a PCI wifi card for around $8. There's an airlink MIMO style (2 antennas) that I bought for under $10 at Fry's.
Is that for a PC? If so, I'll head up there and grab one.

Token Split Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW stangs.
Leah is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 AM
How you doin'
 
STANGGT40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: 8 Rib > 6 Rib
Posts: 28,254
i picked up an air-link usb wireless adapter for about $8 at fry's...they're always having sales on those things.
STANGGT40 is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Old school 4-eye'd
 
Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Department of Redundancy Dept
Posts: 6,714
I got one.

Baron is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:01 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Desktops don't move, is it hard getting cabling to it? Is it a desktop?

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
aka The Cougar
 
Leah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: under investigationalmentalisms
Posts: 16,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
Desktops don't move, is it hard getting cabling to it? Is it a desktop?
well there's cable hookup and we have dsl so could we tap into that? we have all of our computers running wireless off one plugged in computer so we figured we'd just do that one wireless too.

Token Split Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW stangs.
Leah is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Old school 4-eye'd
 
Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Department of Redundancy Dept
Posts: 6,714
oh, wait, nevermind, mine is for a laptop.

Baron is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 02:42 PM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah
well there's cable hookup and we have dsl so could we tap into that? we have all of our computers running wireless off one plugged in computer so we figured we'd just do that one wireless too.
Leah,
It's just a matter of opinion - why do I dislike wireless to an extent?

-Can be unreliable
-Is no where near as fast as a fastethernet/gigethernet speed even if it hits its theoretical limit

So, 1 computer at your place is doing internet connection sharing for multiple other PCs?

What I'd do is use a switch, plug it into whatever ethernet port is on your DSL device and cable the PCs into it. I reserve wireless for my laptop and guests if at all possible. However, I'm a geek and that sort of thing is more vital to me than it would be to you and Craig.

Recommend getting the wireless card since wiring it may or may not be a big deal. Just that I'd consider using a physical cable when possible if you're interested in better performance - especially if you transfer files from 1 PC to another.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
aka The Cougar
 
Leah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: under investigationalmentalisms
Posts: 16,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
Leah,
It's just a matter of opinion - why do I dislike wireless to an extent?

-Can be unreliable
-Is no where near as fast as a fastethernet/gigethernet speed even if it hits its theoretical limit

So, 1 computer at your place is doing internet connection sharing for multiple other PCs?

What I'd do is use a switch, plug it into whatever ethernet port is on your DSL device and cable the PCs into it. I reserve wireless for my laptop and guests if at all possible. However, I'm a geek and that sort of thing is more vital to me than it would be to you and Craig.

Recommend getting the wireless card since wiring it may or may not be a big deal. Just that I'd consider using a physical cable when possible if you're interested in better performance - especially if you transfer files from 1 PC to another.

Take care,
Yeah, I had a brain fart. We have satellite so it's not a cable plug in and we have DSL. So, unless we want to run a cat5 cable from my son's room all the way to Craigs son's room, we have to go wireless.

Token Split Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW stangs.
Leah is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah
Yeah, I had a brain fart. We have satellite so it's not a cable plug in and we have DSL. So, unless we want to run a cat5 cable from my son's room all the way to Craigs son's room, we have to go wireless.
Yeah, and we have a very low roof and my son's room is behind the AC stuff so getting back there would be a BITCH! Wireless card would be much easier.

The DSL line comes into the modem then to the router. The only computer on the line is Leah's son because the most convenient wall jack for the DSL was there. We have two laptops and two desktops we use already on the wireless, just need another card for his. Keep in mind, with the exception of my work applications on my laptop the wireless here is used solely for surfing. No gaming or media center stuff.

Thanks for the advice all, I looked at fry's last year and the cheapest I could find was $40 or so. We will have to take another look.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,391
Wait until Friday...I would almost bet money they will have the usual Airlink wi-fi cards for 8.99...take your pick..USB, PCI, Or PCMCIA (laptop).

FUCK Canada
ram57ta is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
Wait until Friday...I would almost bet money they will have the usual Airlink wi-fi cards for 8.99...take your pick..USB, PCI, Or PCMCIA (laptop).
Cool.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 02:27 AM
Banned
 
sig239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N. Richland Hill TX
Posts: 2,483
sig239 is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:33 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by sig239
That one would've been perfect but expired yesterday...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE


more options too. For less than 20 you can get a name brand card I'm sure.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
We went up there this afternoon and found a PCI for $9.99.. I'm assuming it's just a cheapie brand: Airlink 101.

Thanks everyone.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,391
I don't like the wireless utility that comes with Airlink cards so I normally just tell the computer to use the Windows Zero Wireless utility. As for it being a cheapie card...who cares? If it works it works. Wifi is wifi.

FUCK Canada
ram57ta is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
I don't like the wireless utility that comes with Airlink cards so I normally just tell the computer to use the Windows Zero Wireless utility. As for it being a cheapie card...who cares? If it works it works. Wifi is wifi.
Oh I don't care, believe me. The wireless card in my laptop was a $20 refurb card I bought from Fry's about 4 years ago and it is still running fine.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:41 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Oh I don't care, believe me. The wireless card in my laptop was a $20 refurb card I bought from Fry's about 4 years ago and it is still running fine.
What he's saying and I concur is to not bother with the card's software app. Very few are worth a crap, windows does a good job at managing wireless connections IMO.

Otherwise, for the MOST part wireless hardware is fairly good to go - specifically when you're just going to be connected to 1 SSID allll day long. If you bounce between 100 APs a day or use 30 different wireless networks a day, you may need something more exciting.

Am I making any sense at all? Been writing these posts in the morn before coffee and I always babble when I do that.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:07 AM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
What he's saying and I concur is to not bother with the card's software app. Very few are worth a crap, windows does a good job at managing wireless connections IMO.

Otherwise, for the MOST part wireless hardware is fairly good to go - specifically when you're just going to be connected to 1 SSID allll day long. If you bounce between 100 APs a day or use 30 different wireless networks a day, you may need something more exciting.

Am I making any sense at all? Been writing these posts in the morn before coffee and I always babble when I do that.
Yeah, I got it. I was just replying to this comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
As for it being a cheapie card...who cares?
Thanks!

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:09 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Yeah, I got it. I was just replying to this comment:

Thanks!

Don't have to be a dick about.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
Don't have to be a dick about.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome