PS3, NAT Type 3 Connection????? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

PS3, NAT Type 3 Connection?????

Been SOOOO long since I networked or did anything with routers. Anyone got any links or info on how to setup a wireless router to accept NAT 2 on PS3?

2001 Arctic White M6 SS - 2005 Iron 6.0, Comp 224 566 115, LS2 Chain, LS6 Pump, TR Pushrods, ARP Rod Bolts, LS6 Intake, Home Built Front Mount MP T-76 Q-Trim Turbo, 60lb Inj, TurboWerx Pump, Racetronix Kit, Spec 3+, - 9psi 545rwhp/542rwtq - More Boost to Come!

*SOLD* '91 Coupe, LS1/TH350, Heads 'n Cam, 6.72 @ 102 N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick96GT View Post
Also, 280lbs ain't a lady.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

What's nat 3?

We just have ours hooking up through our wireless network.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:57 AM
duh...duh....duh

So, I've been doing networking all my adult life and I don't know what NAT 2/3 is as there is no such thing in the networking world.

NAT (Network Address Translation - Static) - 1 to 1 translation of IP addresses

PAT (Port Address Translation - Dynamic) - 1 to many translation based off port numbers

Policy NAT - Typically will never be used by home users

I did reference the PS3 "NATs 1 - 3" and it looked downright idiotic to me. So, if you want a real network person to help you I'd use real networking terminology. There is no such thing as NAT Types 1-3 in the real networking world.

At this point I'm still not sure what you're trying to do though. Just -PAT- it and make sure your firewall ports are open and you should be set.

Take care

My '03 Sold.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Time Served

Check if your router has an option to enable uPnP, if it does then enable it and your ps3 should be able to get online fine. If it doesn't have this option then just manually forward the ports (search google, i'm at work and they block a ton of crap, i couldn't find them for you).

If you don't want to mess with forwarding ports then just setup a static ip for the ps3 and make it the DMZ. This will make your ps3 act like it is not behind a router at all. Normally this isn't a good idea to do to a computer because it leaves you completely unprotected by your routers firewall but I wouldn't worry about it on the ps3.

here's a good thread for some more info:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...read.id=116102

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54
Check if your router has an option to enable uPnP, if it does then enable it and your ps3 should be able to get online fine. If it doesn't have this option then just manually forward the ports (search google, i'm at work and they block a ton of crap, i couldn't find them for you).

If you don't want to mess with forwarding ports then just setup a static ip for the ps3 and make it the DMZ. This will make your ps3 act like it is not behind a router at all. Normally this isn't a good idea to do to a computer because it leaves you completely unprotected by your routers firewall but I wouldn't worry about it on the ps3.

here's a good thread for some more info:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...read.id=116102
Thanks man, good info.

I really don'y have any issues gaming online right now except when using the mic/headset, little garbled (COD5). Only reason I was asking is I have been told a NAT 2 connection is much better, less lag, etc etc. ??

I did try to connect my PS3 directly to my motorola dsl modem (at&t) and it still states i have a nat 3 connection.

? Do i need to buy a different DSL modem?

2001 Arctic White M6 SS - 2005 Iron 6.0, Comp 224 566 115, LS2 Chain, LS6 Pump, TR Pushrods, ARP Rod Bolts, LS6 Intake, Home Built Front Mount MP T-76 Q-Trim Turbo, 60lb Inj, TurboWerx Pump, Racetronix Kit, Spec 3+, - 9psi 545rwhp/542rwtq - More Boost to Come!

*SOLD* '91 Coupe, LS1/TH350, Heads 'n Cam, 6.72 @ 102 N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick96GT View Post
Also, 280lbs ain't a lady.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Time Served

I think the NAT 1,2,3 is a ps3 specific thing. What I mean is they are just codes the ps3 uses to describe how it is connecting to the internet.

NAT 1 should be if you are directly connected to the dsl modem.

NAT 2 is you are behind a router but you are the DMZ, using uPnP, or the ports are properly forwarded.

NAT 3 means that you are behind a router and some info on some ports aren't getting through. basically it means something is wrong, but it could be something minor (probably why the mic is garbled).

if you had the ps3 plugged directly in the modem it should say it is NAT 1. i'm not sure if at&t's dsl modem is just a modem or if it's a modem with a router integrated into it.

here's a little more info on it.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1021743

here is what someone said on there on what ports to forward.
Quote:
TCP 80, 443, 5223
UDP 3478, 3479, 3658

TCP 80/443 (HTTP/HTTPS) should already be accessible, no need to map those. That should get you basic PSN access and the use of any games that share those ports. Individual ones may have further ports required for connectivity or voice chat.

Edit1: Enable UPnP if possible, and they should map themselves (albiet with a minor delay.)

Edit2: Or put your PS3 in the DMZ if you haven't already assigned a device there, and you should get NAT 2 instantly.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:57 AM
duh...duh....duh

When you just forward ports (PAT for inbound), those ports would also be wide open. Most of those ports look like nothing to be concerned about.

Gotta say, PS3 is gay for ...

1. Making gay NAT types that don't exist and are not a standard.
2. Requiring users to use them/understand them.
3. Making their descriptions even more gay than the actual creation of them.

Also, understand that 95% of home users are not going to have a true "DMZ", maybe something called DMZ on a home router. Otherwise it looks like they mean OR are using uPnP or the ports are properly forwarded. Which is probably what everyone is doing.

To answer your question j99frc, none of these PS3 NAT types will likely help you. Question, is it your voice that is garbled, their voice (everyone's or just specific people) or both? During this garbled voice period does your game lag at all?

If it is just voice and your voice only, remember that voice is one of the most sensitive things out there. That's why QoS is a huge deal on corporate networks, but impossible to implement over the Internet. What kind of Inet connection do you have? If DSL, it could be as simple as a bandwidth issue. DSL has poor upload speeds and between the PS3, and/or maybe something else going on it could cause problems with voice. Also, is it alll the time or intermittent?

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
When you just forward ports (PAT for inbound), those ports would also be wide open. Most of those ports look like nothing to be concerned about.

Gotta say, PS3 is gay for ...

1. Making gay NAT types that don't exist and are not a standard.
2. Requiring users to use them/understand them.
3. Making their descriptions even more gay than the actual creation of them.

Also, understand that 95% of home users are not going to have a true "DMZ", maybe something called DMZ on a home router. Otherwise it looks like they mean OR are using uPnP or the ports are properly forwarded. Which is probably what everyone is doing.

To answer your question j99frc, none of these PS3 NAT types will likely help you. Question, is it your voice that is garbled, their voice (everyone's or just specific people) or both? During this garbled voice period does your game lag at all?

If it is just voice and your voice only, remember that voice is one of the most sensitive things out there. That's why QoS is a huge deal on corporate networks, but impossible to implement over the Internet. What kind of Inet connection do you have? If DSL, it could be as simple as a bandwidth issue. DSL has poor upload speeds and between the PS3, and/or maybe something else going on it could cause problems with voice. Also, is it alll the time or intermittent?

Take care,
Thanks for the input. The voice static is not that bad, just every once in a while it will sound garbled (other players voices).

I am going to mess with it a little more this weekend. My brother has the same dsl provider (at&t) but he was having alot of issues with lag (lives in large neighborhood, I am probably the only person in a 1 mile radius with dsl) and had one of is networking guru's friends setup up for him which it now says Nat 2.

Since then it's been smooth sailing and thats the only reason I was wanting to have more of a direct connection.

Maybe this makes no sense, I'm just trying to understand this crap.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 AM
duh...duh....duh

Does your PS3 connect..

wireless or wired?

to a...

router of yours or directly to the DSL device?

edit: I'd straight blame it on it being DSL if it was your voice. However, your DL should be fine. Are you running torrents or anything while using this feature on the PS3 or otherwise utilizing your bandwidth?

The other thing to consider is that it could be the OTHER people's connections. Next time you hear a garbled voice try to see if other people hear their voice as garbled too.

Take care

My '03 Sold.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
Does your PS3 connect..

wireless or wired?

to a...

router of yours or directly to the DSL device?

edit: I'd straight blame it on it being DSL if it was your voice. However, your DL should be fine. Are you running torrents or anything while using this feature on the PS3 or otherwise utilizing your bandwidth?

The other thing to consider is that it could be the OTHER people's connections. Next time you hear a garbled voice try to see if other people hear their voice as garbled too.

Take care
Yes, here's the scenerio..

Wall Jack w/filter - Motorola DSL Modem - Linksys Wireless G Router - PS3 "Wireless" (have tried both wired and wireless, no difference in speed or performance).

We do have a Toshiba laptop thats wireless aswell. The wife stays off the laptop when I am gaming or it does lag a little (damn right, I work all day, my time to play).

Yeah, I'm starting to think it's on the other end. When I talk shit to someone after winning, they hear what I am saying no problem. I can game with no problems once connected, just have connection issue's at times.

I have checked with DSLreports.com and it shows my latency is .33ms, 733kbps download (all I can get is Basic DSL 768kb dl, and 356ul), upload is 333kbps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement