Best Bang for the buck Laptop? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Best Bang for the buck Laptop?

What's the best bang for the buck laptop out right now?

My mother is looking for something as she has a work computer/laptop but wants something of her own to keep personal finance stuff and some geneology stuff and one small program on.

Only requirements honestly are able to use basic programs/msoffice/wireless connection. Half tempted to give her my 1 year old Toshiba and go get me one that has better battery life then 2 fuggin hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:32 AM
African Booty Scratcher

buy one from chopped54 on here. he's a stand up guy.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate

My mother is looking for something as she has a work computer/laptop but wants something of her own to keep personal finance stuff and some geneology stuff and one small program on.

Only requirements honestly are able to use basic programs/msoffice/wireless connection. Half tempted to give her my 1 year old Toshiba and go get me one that has better battery life then 2 fuggin hours.
Costco has a deal on a EEpc right now that is $349 it is a little tiny 2lb ultra portable. No cd rom so you would have to use an external. Or the acer's at walmart are a steal for just a cheap machine and walmart will take anything back.

I'm defending my home with a martial art: Klik-Pau

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

I'm pretty sure she will want a CD Rom drive.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Custom Title

Check out some of the cheapo Acers at Circuit City or Best Buy, got one for Lyn a while ago, it was like $300. Nothing fancy, but works great for surfing the net and shit like that.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Half tempted to give her my 1 year old Toshiba and go get me one that has better battery life then 2 fuggin hours.
I know right. My 17" Toshiba sux a donkey dick for battery life.

Yes, my spelling and grammar are horrendous. Thank you for pointing it out, you have a firm grasp of the obvious. Have you ever thought of making this a career choice? You might even reach the prestigious rank of Captain Obvious.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
High Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiscat2000
Costco has a deal on a EEpc right now that is $349 it is a little tiny 2lb ultra portable. No cd rom so you would have to use an external. Or the acer's at walmart are a steal for just a cheap machine and walmart will take anything back.
These diapers already have shit in them.
Were real sorry bout that sir, you go back there and get another pair.

98 Trans Am WS6 JUST A SLOW LITTLE LSX
Best time to date N/A 7.23 @93 mph 1.59 60ft and 6.67 on the bottle,full weight
1999 Camaro Z28 The LsX Tin Can 7.70 Bolt ons only
1998 Supercharged Mustang GT 7.52 @8psi
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Doughnut Lover!

I bought this Toshiba a couple weeks ago. It has a 4hr battery life.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218010173766
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Motorboat'n Is What I Do!

Buy a Dell Best buy has some good deals on them there. I bought my Dell Inspiron 1525 from best buy for 600 bucks. It has a 250G HD, 4G of Ram, 2.xG Core 2 Duo processor, DVD Rom/burner, Webcam, HDMI outputs, SD/MMC - MS/Pro memory card input, Wirless and bluetooth built in and it was loaded up with software.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 12:49 AM
I. Am. God.

dells suck fucking asshole.

my toshiba still works, but i won't buy another.

My next purchase will be a fujitsu.

you can actually find the lower end ones for under 1K.

my .02.

1994 Cobra Pace Car For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56482
only on DFWstangs...
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot To Kill
dells suck fucking asshole.

my toshiba still works, but i won't buy another.

My next purchase will be a fujitsu.

you can actually find the lower end ones for under 1K.

my .02.
How do dells suck? All the computers up here at my work are Dells the survers are dells and we never had one issue with them and they never shut off. I guess they must be pretty good.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Mentally Impaired

I picked up the one im on now at staples 2+ years ago. I keep it on the cord all the time so i have prettymuch killed the battery life on it.Other than that it has been great, no issues at all. Its an HP Pavilion and i love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
It's the American way. I want to do the right thing, but only if it's on my terms and I can half ass my way through it.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Lifer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang
Check out some of the cheapo Acers at Circuit City or Best Buy, got one for Lyn a while ago, it was like $300. Nothing fancy, but works great for surfing the net and shit like that.
I bought my wife a accer and she loves it. its a good computer.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Texas Rangers #1

I always recommend Dell's, I've done tech support for them for 9+ years and they are very reliable. Every once in a while you'll get a batch of bad hard drives or memory, but for the most part they are very durable.

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Lifer

Talking

dells are good a little high on the price, but I do like them, I bought a compaq pressaro and I love it. I bought it at frys on sale reg.999.00 bought it for 599.00
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

eepc's suck nutsack.

risa just picked up a HPfrom best buy for like 699 or something, pretty badass little machine.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:15 PM
The first, the original

I have had my Dell 610 for 3 years. I am on the second screen, second hard drive, and second keyboard and battery life has always sucked. I have to run to another outlet if I unplug it. It will go to hibernate as soon as it completes bootup because the battery is so low. The screen started flickering less than a year old. The letters on the keyboard have worn away twice. Most of my letter keys are completely blank. Hard drive crashed twice. The screen hinges are really loose. It performs ok, but I don't think I'd buy one for myself if the company didn't provide this one. I've had IBM Thinkpad's in the past that always seemed to perform better.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

i worked on thinkpads for 1.5 years and they're just as susceptible to hd failures, faulty hinges, etc. POS's, if you ask me.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
I have had my Dell 610 for 3 years. I am on the second screen, second hard drive, and second keyboard and battery life has always sucked. I have to run to another outlet if I unplug it. It will go to hibernate as soon as it completes bootup because the battery is so low. The screen started flickering less than a year old. The letters on the keyboard have worn away twice. Most of my letter keys are completely blank. Hard drive crashed twice. The screen hinges are really loose. It performs ok, but I don't think I'd buy one for myself if the company didn't provide this one. I've had IBM Thinkpad's in the past that always seemed to perform better.
You need a new battery, they should last at least 2 hours on battery. I have a D610 at work as well, and other than my son popping off a few keys off the keyboard, I have had no issues.

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:

I see a lot of people offering up the little nettops as their picks... like the acer, EeePC or MSI Wind...things like that. The thing to remember with those is you have to know what all she wants it for. You can chaulk those nettops up to Consumption vs. Production. If she surfs the web, looks at pictures...downloads MP3s, go for it. If she creates spreadsheet, databases...photoshops, does any kind of DV editing...those will not work well at all.

I know I love my new little Dell. I wanted a smaller size then the 15.4" HP I had before this, then looked at the nettops and saw what they were really limited to and then saw this 13.3" Dell @ BestBuy -

Inspiron 1338

Intel Core 2 Duo - T5750 @ 2.0GHz
3GB Ram
250GB HD
13.3" screen
integrated 2.0MP webcam
SD/MMC - Memorystick reader
3 USB
IEEE 1394 Firewire
SLOT loading DL DVD/RW
built-in 802.11G
6-cell battery (full charge, normal use gives 7 hours)
Vista Home Premium

I'm liking it a lot.
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Another thing if you have good credit and want to put it on a CC you can get one at Best buy and have 0% interest for 6 months. I have a Best Buy card and bought mine on it and just paid it off in less then 3 months. Very good deal if you ask me. If you don't want to spend all the money at one time.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 01:23 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan03mach
Another thing if you have good credit and want to put it on a CC you can get one at Best buy and have 0% interest for 6 months. I have a Best Buy card and bought mine on it and just paid it off in less then 3 months. Very good deal if you ask me. If you don't want to spend all the money at one time.
Circuit City does 24 months no interest on laptops over $499, and anything over $999. Dell has 12 months no interest on the XPS ones and the 1330 is pretty nice.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 01:26 AM
tha cookie

i have an hp and i think they are great laptops. reasonable priced to

1999 Ford Mustang- Back in Black: under construction

2004 Honda Element- not so much racing goodies the daily driver
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Super Jew

Come see me at Fry's and I will get you a good deal on some clearance laptops we have. I am the DM and will make sure you get something good for the right price. Do you know what her price range is? I have one there I was thinking of buying for myself, it is an HP TX-1420us and was missing the battery so I store completed it with one of the 6 hour extended batteries. It is out of box but works fine and is priced well at $749 (I can work with you on it some). PM me if interested and we can arrange a good time to come in.

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Circuit City does 24 months no interest on laptops over $499, and anything over $999. Dell has 12 months no interest on the XPS ones and the 1330 is pretty nice.
CC is going out of business.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreos_stang3
i have an hp and i think they are great laptops. reasonable priced to
I like HP's also...I think they are top notch, however I have read a lot of complaints about their battery life. Both during day-to-day use, and overall length of life. I have 1st hand experiance with my HP's battery shitting out, I had it not one full month after the 1 year warranty expired and the battery life started to rapidly deminish. Well after about another 30 days...It couldn't go 10 minutes from full charge to shutting itself down from a dead battery.

I called HP and went through the "tech's" suggestions on refreshing the battery's memory...nothing worked, they wanted $125 for a new battery...I laughed at them. About 5 months later it took a complete shit on me (think it was the internal power supply, or mobo) ...sold it for parts on eGay for $185 and went and bought a Dell.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:
Someone would buy CC's debt/credit card and take over that income...and she will be paying cash for this regardless.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU
I know right. My 17" Toshiba sux a donkey dick for battery life.
X2 mine lasts about 1.5hrs fucking piece of shit

98 Brokra
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0
I see a lot of people offering up the little nettops as their picks... like the acer, EeePC or MSI Wind...things like that. The thing to remember with those is you have to know what all she wants it for. You can chaulk those nettops up to Consumption vs. Production. If she surfs the web, looks at pictures...downloads MP3s, go for it. If she creates spreadsheet, databases...photoshops, does any kind of DV editing...those will not work well at all.

I know I love my new little Dell. I wanted a smaller size then the 15.4" HP I had before this, then looked at the nettops and saw what they were really limited to and then saw this 13.3" Dell @ BestBuy -

Inspiron 1338

Intel Core 2 Duo - T5750 @ 2.0GHz
3GB Ram
250GB HD
13.3" screen
integrated 2.0MP webcam
SD/MMC - Memorystick reader
3 USB
IEEE 1394 Firewire
SLOT loading DL DVD/RW
built-in 802.11G
6-cell battery (full charge, normal use gives 7 hours)
Vista Home Premium

I'm liking it a lot.
Im calling bullshit.. I have the exact same laptop (using it right now) and on power saver mode, I get 4.5hrs MAX battery life with the 9 cell battery.

I do really like this laptop and really recommend it. It was $650 ($200 cheaper than building it on Dell's site) from Best Buy. Battery life is excellent, screen is nice. The only reason it gets the 4.5 hr life is because of the 9 cell battery (included) and it has a 13.3" screen

So dont forget guys...the bigger the screen the shorter the battery life. It is the #1 power drain on a laptop. I had a Toshiba 15.4" from 1.5 years ago and it was a great laptop. Only problem was bad battery life.. (1.5hrs max)...but it was expected due to the screen size and standard battery.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
Im calling bullshit.. I have the exact same laptop (using it right now) and on power saver mode, I get 4.5hrs MAX battery life with the 9 cell battery.

I do really like this laptop and really recommend it. It was $650 ($200 cheaper than building it on Dell's site) from Best Buy. Battery life is excellent, screen is nice. The only reason it gets the 4.5 hr life is because of the 9 cell battery (included) and it has a 13.3" screen

So dont forget guys...the bigger the screen the shorter the battery life. It is the #1 power drain on a laptop. I had a Toshiba 15.4" from 1.5 years ago and it was a great laptop. Only problem was bad battery life.. (1.5hrs max)...but it was expected due to the screen size and standard battery.
I am just going by what it says when I mouse over the battery icon when not on the charger. It might say that for 10 mins then drop to 4, or 4.5 hours...I don't know, I hardly ever take it off the charger. The only con I can find on mine is that I wish the trackpad was a little larger, my HP was almost double the size and I wish I had that back...other than that, I like it a LOT.
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 PM
tha cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0
I like HP's also...I think they are top notch, however I have read a lot of complaints about their battery life. Both during day-to-day use, and overall length of life. I have 1st hand experiance with my HP's battery shitting out, I had it not one full month after the 1 year warranty expired and the battery life started to rapidly deminish. Well after about another 30 days...It couldn't go 10 minutes from full charge to shutting itself down from a dead battery.

I called HP and went through the "tech's" suggestions on refreshing the battery's memory...nothing worked, they wanted $125 for a new battery...I laughed at them. About 5 months later it took a complete shit on me (think it was the internal power supply, or mobo) ...sold it for parts on eGay for $185 and went and bought a Dell.
this is my first laptop only had it bout 6 months. it does really good. i usually dont take it anywhere and it usually stays plugged in anyway so i dont worry bout battery. but we will see

1999 Ford Mustang- Back in Black: under construction

2004 Honda Element- not so much racing goodies the daily driver
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Banned

Whatever you buy or currently own. If you're going to have it plugged into a wall for an extended period of time and you're not charging the battery, take it out. I've found that a good number of newer laptops will run without the battery in them if they're plugged in.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:13 PM
I. Am. God.

Quote:
How do dells suck? All the computers up here at my work are Dells the survers are dells and we never had one issue with them and they never shut off. I guess they must be pretty good.
because every dell i've owned has been a complete POS. that's how i know/think they're pieces of shit.

1994 Cobra Pace Car For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56482
only on DFWstangs...
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Lifer

i picked up my first laptop from BestBuy yesterday for $659

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16154

94 Triple black GT auto w/shift kit, 3:55 gears and pulleys
Trolls Needed
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Time Served

I just ordered a dell 1525 for $395 on the eep program. I only need it to surf because the competition at home is too much. It is a celeron which is why I figure it was so cheap. The desktop I have is a dell three years and not one problem. I have a compaq labtop and had nothing but problems. My decision to buy the dell is based on how impressed I have been with Dell. The only problem I have had is with the printer and they just sent a new one.

2000 Black GT Conv.
07 Kawasaki ZZR 600 (Recovered by the good guys)
84 Jeep CJ-7 (My Toy)
04 Lincoln Aviator (Her Toy)
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 04:37 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Chase isn't and that's who does their financing.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Time Served

I worked for Fry's selling laptops/pc's for 5 years and I know from experience which ones are better etc etc...

No perticular order..

Toshiba - most reliable, drop it, still works. Best bang for the buck. Battery's do tend to suck a little. <---- my pick, I do own one, been awesome for the past 5 years, not a single problem, been dropped a few times.

Fujitsu - Horrible, pixels go bad constantly, keyboards fall apart, cheap $$$ (trust me, would piss me off when someone would return on, commission hit).

Sony - Very good laptop, Pricey. No perticular problems, just pricey.

Hp and Compaq - Hit and miss laptops, sold alot of them and had alot of problems with misc bs from usb ports not working, pixels out, screen loose, touch pad inop. for the money they aren't bad but would buy other brand.

Acer - Cheap laptop, not alot of support. (did not sell at fry's, but I did have experiences in repair dept)

Great Quality (Also known as GQ, Fry's Special) - Hahahahaha, thats all.

Dell - ???? Never sold them, heard good and bad things (usual bs)

Good luck!

2001 Arctic White M6 SS - 2005 Iron 6.0, Comp 224 566 115, LS2 Chain, LS6 Pump, TR Pushrods, ARP Rod Bolts, LS6 Intake, Home Built Front Mount MP T-76 Q-Trim Turbo, 60lb Inj, TurboWerx Pump, Racetronix Kit, Spec 3+, - 9psi 545rwhp/542rwtq - More Boost to Come!

*SOLD* '91 Coupe, LS1/TH350, Heads 'n Cam, 6.72 @ 102 N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick96GT View Post
Also, 280lbs ain't a lady.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement