XP start up help? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

XP start up help?

I had a bunch of crap that I didn't use anymore on my PC so I got what I needed and reformatted the harddrive and reinstalled windows. Not sure why but now my computer just sits at the boot up screen (see below... and no, that's not my screen shot) and won't actually go to windows. It sat on that screen for over an hour last night when I finally got tired of waiting and just turned it off. Any ideas if this is a hardware or software related problem? I haven't had any sort of errors come about so I'm clueless as to what it could be. TIA

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Lifer

Are you able to boot into safemode?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Yeah I've been able to boot up in safe mode but don't know where to go from there. Any suggestions?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
Yeah I've been able to boot up in safe mode but don't know where to go from there. Any suggestions?
There should be an option to enable logging during boot. The you can look at the log file to see if there is a driver issue etc.

I've used this option a couple of times to debug xp boot issues
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by black90gt
There should be an option to enable logging during boot. The you can look at the log file to see if there is a driver issue etc.

I've used this option a couple of times to debug xp boot issues
Maybe Motherboard drivers? Raid, SATA etc...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco71
Maybe Motherboard drivers? Raid, SATA etc...

I'll try reinstalling those drivers. I didn't get any sort of error when I reinstalled windows.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Lifer

Did you try post #4?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by black90gt
Did you try post #4?
Not yet, I'm currently at work. I'll give it a shot when I'm at home.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Ok so after having no errors of any sort, no driver problems, no problems with my copy of XP I decided to open up the tower and take a look. Well the first thing I notice is that it's a little quieter then normal and I thought that was a little funny. Infact I didn't hear my video card at all, which I normally hear a little twirl of the fan. After a closer look the fans not running at all, so I take my hand and just hold it over my video card and it's hot.

So... with my fan being fried would that be enough to cause Windows to not want to start up?

Granted this is a very old system and the card that was in it is a nVidia 128mb GeForce4 4600 TI AGP card. My plans were to hand this computer down to someone as a gift... any recommendations on a card that could replace the current one but still be an upgrade to it?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Does the fan plug into the motherboard or into the video card? If it plugs into the video card then something is wrong with the card. Possibly the graphics acceleration processor. That is why you can get into safe mode which doesn't use graphics acceleration. So yes, a bad graphics card is very possible...

To nail it down with certainty, you can either buy a cheap 3d graphics card and try it out. Or you can enable boot logging from the same menu you use to get to safe mode. Once you've had a failed boot, reboot into safemode and look at the boot log in the root directory. That should show you the last driver that it tried to load before hanging. If that driver is in any way associated with the graphics card, then you've probably nailed down the problem.

But frankly I would just get another card and replace it. If that doesn't work, you can always take it back. I think the chances are rather high that you've got a hardware issue there.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
Ok so after having no errors of any sort, no driver problems, no problems with my copy of XP I decided to open up the tower and take a look. Well the first thing I notice is that it's a little quieter then normal and I thought that was a little funny. Infact I didn't hear my video card at all, which I normally hear a little twirl of the fan. After a closer look the fans not running at all, so I take my hand and just hold it over my video card and it's hot.

So... with my fan being fried would that be enough to cause Windows to not want to start up?

Granted this is a very old system and the card that was in it is a nVidia 128mb GeForce4 4600 TI AGP card. My plans were to hand this computer down to someone as a gift... any recommendations on a card that could replace the current one but still be an upgrade to it?
Most certainly.

Even if your computer is dead cold, your video card will get HOTT fast if i fan is not hooked up. It has a protection measure to 'turn off' if it reaches a certain temperature.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Does the fan plug into the motherboard or into the video card? If it plugs into the video card then something is wrong with the card. Possibly the graphics acceleration processor. That is why you can get into safe mode which doesn't use graphics acceleration. So yes, a bad graphics card is very possible...

Yeah the fan plugs into the video card.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement