Iphone help needed - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Iphone help needed

My niece gave me a first gen 8 GB Iphone. With my Att sim card the phone works but a lot of the other features do not. What do I need to do to get the other features working? I know I will need a to upgrade my account to have internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 07:09 PM
RedLilPony

I have an iPhone and I was told that I had to update the sim card that came with the phone and not to put my old on in. I could be wrong but that's what the att dude told me.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:04 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Different data plan, go to att and tell them you bought an iphone.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Go Texas Tech!

Did you try to activate the 2G iPhone with your exisiting sim through iTunes? You can choose "replace a phone on my account with this iPhone". You will probably have to upgrade your account then.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Lifer

The guy at the AT&T store told me that the sim cards are different but they looked the same to me. Probably just have to register the phone with At&t.

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:56 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

The SIM cards for the iPhone 3G are different (though they look the same)

The SIM cards on the 1st gen iPhone are normal ATT SIM cards. I think Teddy98Z28M6 suggestion should work. However, if all else fails, go to an ATT store. They'll square you away.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Time Served

The sim cards are the same. Take the sim card from your current phone and put it into the iphone (if you haven't already) and then plug the phone into itunes. If that doesn't work, call customer care and have them add the imei of the phone (accessible through the settings menu or on the sim card tray) and the data plan to the number you want to use the phone on. If you've been using the iphone without the data plan, and accessing the internet, be ready for a huge next bill.

And don't go to an AT&T store. They will tell you to take the phone home and plug it into itunes.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Time Served

jailbreak it, .......

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin
The sim cards are the same. Take the sim card from your current phone and put it into the iphone (if you haven't already) and then plug the phone into itunes. If that doesn't work, call customer care and have them add the imei of the phone (accessible through the settings menu or on the sim card tray) and the data plan to the number you want to use the phone on. If you've been using the iphone without the data plan, and accessing the internet, be ready for a huge next bill.

And don't go to an AT&T store. They will tell you to take the phone home and plug it into itunes.
Just been using phone. That is why I am asking, don't want a huge bill or a 2 year contract.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteracer
Just been using phone. That is why I am asking, don't want a huge bill or a 2 year contract.
You're going to get the 2 year contract if you activate the phone. It won't change your upgrade eligibility though. If you have accessed the internet, and you don't have the data plan, you will get a huge bill. I had one in the other day in the five digits.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustangLove
jailbreak it, .......
I have been told that or to unlock it, but it seems the people telling me this don't know how to do this or what the advantages are.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteracer
I have been told that or to unlock it, but it seems the people telling me this don't know how to do this or what the advantages are.
If you don't want to pay for the data plan, and you don't want the contract, just sell it. You can get between 2-400 for it on ebay.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin
If you don't want to pay for the data plan, and you don't want the contract, just sell it. You can get between 2-400 for it on ebay.
Don't mind paying for data plan. Don't want 2 yr contract.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement