Which is better? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
BANNED
 
mustangguy289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,098
Which is better?

Norton or McAfee for internet protection? They are both free after mail in rebate
mustangguy289 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Lifer
 
johnny1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Van Alstyne
Posts: 1,168
johnny1999 is offline  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
neither. AVG or Fsecure

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
 
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
BANNED
 
mustangguy289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,098
Is this the AVG y'all are talking about? What makes it better?
mustangguy289 is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,548
i run AVG and Avira both. Norton and Mcafee suck ass.

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jlyon is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
BANNED
 
mustangguy289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,098
Can you please state why these programs are better?
mustangguy289 is offline  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangguy289
Can you please state why these programs are better?
i have had virus's with Norton and never had one since using AVG. Mcafee has always slowed down the computer i was on, though i never used it on my personal computer. plus, there is no upfront fee for AVG and Avira

btw: AVG is one of the best on the market, even the free version


http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Vir...dlPid=10891365

http://www.download.com/Avira-AntiVi...dlPid=10901492

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jlyon is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Read up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon
i have had virus's with Norton and never had one since using AVG. Mcafee has always slowed down the computer i was on, though i never used it on my personal computer. plus, there is no upfront fee for AVG and Avira

btw: AVG is one of the best on the market, even the free version


http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Vir...dlPid=10891365

http://www.download.com/Avira-AntiVi...dlPid=10901492

You too.

https://dfwstangs.net/forums/showpost...93&postcount=8





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck

im too lazy to read all that
the first link i have to d/l and the second is a bad link. i know what has worked for me so far

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jlyon is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
BANNED
 
mustangguy289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,098
Reading through the 1st link... it seems that symantec( norton) is rated better then AVG on all aspects.

Both Mcafee and Symantec received advanced certificates and AVG only received Standard. Fsecure did not even receive a certificate.
mustangguy289 is offline  
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangguy289
Reading through the 1st link... it seems that symantec( norton) is rated better then AVG on all aspects.

Both Mcafee and Symantec received advanced certificates and AVG only received Standard. Fsecure did not even receive a certificate.
If you want a Suite, try the free trial of NIS 2009 from Symantec. It's very light and effective.

Here's the TWO whole processes it has running while in the background.






Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,548
my best friend paid for Norton and also used the free AVG. AVG would always catch stuff and Norton wouldn't catch anything. when it was time to renew his Norton he decided not to and paid for AVG

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jlyon is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon
my best friend paid for Norton and also used the free AVG. AVG would always catch stuff and Norton wouldn't catch anything. when it was time to renew his Norton he decided not to and paid for AVG
I just realized they only want direct links to the home page so go to av-comparatives.org and look at the August test report. AVG can be bad about false positives.

Edit: here ya go. http://av-comparatives.org/seiten/er...e/report19.pdf





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
I just realized they only want direct links to the home page so go to av-comparatives.org and look at the August test report. AVG can be bad about false positives.

Edit: here ya go. http://av-comparatives.org/seiten/er...e/report19.pdf

what is a "false positive"?

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jlyon is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
If you want a Suite, try the free trial of NIS 2009 from Symantec. It's very light and effective.

Here's the TWO whole processes it has running while in the background.


dont' know what that means, but pcpitstop.com is a great site

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jlyon is offline  
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
BANNED
 
mustangguy289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,098
Anyone familar with Kraspersky. It was rated really high on your links and was said to be one of the ones to not slow down your computer as much.( It and Norton only added 15secs to boot time where others added a minute or more)
mustangguy289 is offline  
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangguy289
Anyone familar with Kraspersky. It was rated really high on your links and was said to be one of the ones to not slow down your computer as much.( It and Norton only added 15secs to boot time where others added a minute or more)
I used it before going to Norton. Part of it's security is it scans ALL interweb traffic in and out. I couldn't take it, my 20/5 fios connection felt like 768k dsl.
I even tried their tech supports advice but it didn't help.

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.ph...post&p=1531268





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,548
here is all the stuff i use at this point. i havent' had any problems, and all have taken VERY good care of my stuff


FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jlyon is offline  
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon
dont' know what that means, but pcpitstop.com is a great site
It only runs two processes to keep you secure while you do your thing on the net thus having minimal effect on the performance of the pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon
what is a "false positive"?
It "finds" something that really isn't there. For instance it would say blah blah blah is infected when it's really not.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon
here is all the stuff i use at this point. i havent' had any problems, and all have taken VERY good care of my stuff

Please tell me you only run one of those AV's at a time.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
Please tell me you only run one of those AV's at a time.

no, they are running together

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jlyon; 05-03-2010 at 04:48 PM.
jlyon is offline  
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
That's a no no. Pick which you prefer of the two and stick to one running at a time. Having both of them going will not only slow down the puter but can be less secure. If you are curious and want to see if your main protection might have missed something, go to one of the many online scan sites and check it there but don't run two AV's @ the same time.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Holy shit, why do you have so much.

Do you surf porn all day long!? shit, just use firefox with adblocking and noscript.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,548
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
That's a no no. Pick which you prefer of the two and stick to one running at a time. Having both of them going will not only slow down the puter but can be less secure. If you are curious and want to see if your main protection might have missed something, go to one of the many online scan sites and check it there but don't run two AV's @ the same time.

oh ok, i haven't had any problems as of yet with it. i will prolly turn off AVG and use it as i want then

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jlyon is offline  
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
Holy shit, why do you have so much.

Do you surf porn all day long!? shit, just use firefox with adblocking and noscript.
im running the newest version of Firefox. i don't surf porn all day, i go to one site for that 2-3 times a week maybe, but not all day. i just want to make sure im protected

plus, doing it this way, i can't remember the last time i had a virus

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jlyon is offline  
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
firefox addons has all kinds of shit that prevents all kinds of shit. look into them. adblock plus is a major one.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
firefox addons has all kinds of shit that prevents all kinds of shit. look into them. adblock plus is a major one.
What do you make of this?

http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck

Just an another fanboy site. Its the same as pointing out IE holes. God knows how many a month get released and take months to fix.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:29 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
Nod32
CJ is offline  
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
BANNED
 
mustangguy289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,098
Well I ended up buying this.
http://shop4.frys.com/product/577809...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
I figured with the mail in rebates it was a great deal. I was going to go with AVG like all of you suggested until I did the research on the links provided in this thread and found that Norton was much better then AVG on all aspects ( From % of threats found to false alerts). Norton was also rated as the one that did not slow down your computer as much.

I was going to go with Kraspersky but was advised not to because it will make your internet run slow as shit. I have had McAfee before and it will kill a computers speed. It runs what seems to be at least 10 programs in the background and on my old computer it would pretty much stop you from being productive when it was scanning or downloading updates.
mustangguy289 is offline  
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:12 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
Generally, most people don't need anti-virus programs, what they need is a good anti-spyware program. Several fit this gap, but the best is knowing where not to go and what not to click on. This is something that is learned over years of experience, but to demonstrate how effective smart browsing can be, I haven't run any virus programs or anti-spyware programs in about 5 years, and I've never been infected or affected by anything - and I do visit some shady sites here and there for various solutions.

Most experienced users may only use spyware programs, most users in general are affected by spyware, actual viruses are very rare - I think I've only seen it happen a few times in a decade legitimately.
CJ is offline  
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangguy289
Well I ended up buying this.
http://shop4.frys.com/product/577809...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
I figured with the mail in rebates it was a great deal. I was going to go with AVG like all of you suggested until I did the research on the links provided in this thread and found that Norton was much better then AVG on all aspects ( From % of threats found to false alerts). Norton was also rated as the one that did not slow down your computer as much.

I was going to go with Kraspersky but was advised not to because it will make your internet run slow as shit. I have had McAfee before and it will kill a computers speed. It runs what seems to be at least 10 programs in the background and on my old computer it would pretty much stop you from being productive when it was scanning or downloading updates.
While I'm not familiar w/ Ghost or System Works, NIS 2009 works great. I'm sure you'll like it at least.

FWIW, if you want to save even more money,Macrium Reflect is a great(free) backup and disk imaging program and Advanced System Care(free as well) is great at keeping your pc running well.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:20 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
While I'm not familiar w/ Ghost or System Works, NIS 2009 works great. I'm sure you'll like it at least.
Ghost is a system imager - it saves an exact copy of your computer in time, and you can restore it if it explodes or bursts into flames, or whatever, as long as you have the image on a disc.

As for the OP asking which to use, getting recommendations and then ignoring them all, I can assure you that Norton and McAffee are no longer industry leaders. NOD32 is the best in my opinion, as I've seen it actually detect viruses I was aware were present, and remove them correctly. I don't like Norton or McAffee because they come with tons of shit and none of it you need.
CJ is offline  
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
Ghost is a system imager - it saves an exact copy of your computer in time, and you can restore it if it explodes or bursts into flames, or whatever, as long as you have the image on a disc.

As for the OP asking which to use, getting recommendations and then ignoring them all, I can assure you that Norton and McAffee are no longer industry leaders. NOD32 is the best in my opinion, as I've seen it actually detect viruses I was aware were present, and remove them correctly. I don't like Norton or McAffee because they come with tons of shit and none of it you need.
I knew what Ghost is but haven't used it and Norton AV used to have the bad rep for slowing pc's down and being ineffective at best but they just about got it right this year. Look at the comparison between Nod and Norton here.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
BANNED
 
mustangguy289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
Ghost is a system imager - it saves an exact copy of your computer in time, and you can restore it if it explodes or bursts into flames, or whatever, as long as you have the image on a disc.

As for the OP asking which to use, getting recommendations and then ignoring them all, I can assure you that Norton and McAffee are no longer industry leaders. NOD32 is the best in my opinion, as I've seen it actually detect viruses I was aware were present, and remove them correctly. I don't like Norton or McAffee because they come with tons of shit and none of it you need.
I did not ignore the recommendations. I looked into them and then did research and found that they really were not the best for my application.
mustangguy289 is offline  
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 136
If you need some real questions answered PM me, I work for one of the companies mentioned in this thread.

All I do all day is computer security.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/iamxero23.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
iamxero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome