xbox connection to Fios kicking my ass - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

xbox connection to Fios kicking my ass

Holy shit am i getting my ass kicked trying to hook up my xbox 360 to my verizon Fios so i can get xbox live. Can anybody possibly help me do what is necessary to get this working. My house is wired for ethernet so i have a ethernet cat5 cable connected to my xbox 360. My Verizon fios router is the Actiontec MI424WR Router. I just have no clue to where to even begin.

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

So fast, I make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:08 PM
duh...duh....duh

Do you get a link light when you plug the cable into the XB360?

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

where is the light link at? on the front or back of the xbox? Sucks i cant even upgrade to the new dashboard without connecting it to ethernet

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Lifer

On the front of you Actiontec router you will see a whole bunch of lights. Some with funny symbols and some with the numbers 1-4. The link lights are the ones with the numbers. When you connect your xbox to the actiontec in the back, make sure it is plugged into one of the ports with the numbers. Then when you turn your xbox on, the same numbered light should light up. If it does, then the link light is on.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:59 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Have you ran the xbox live test connection on you 360?

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

OK, ive had a chance to diagnose this stupid fucking problem. My connection to the room via hardwired ethernet is active and running. When i unplug the ethernet cable from the xbox and into my laptop, i can get a connection and the 2nd light on my router lights up. When i plug it back into my xbox, no light on the router and i cant auto find an IP addr for the xbox or really do anything. It fails the first test. How do you tell if the ethernet jack on the xbox might just be screwed?

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Lifer

That's too much trouble. Go ahead and switch ISP's.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Retired Gun

lmao......call your ISP......they will give you the pre-determined IP/Gateway/DNS so your xbox can be recognized. I had the same problem....now I dont.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spederman
OK, ive had a chance to diagnose this stupid fucking problem. My connection to the room via hardwired ethernet is active and running. When i unplug the ethernet cable from the xbox and into my laptop, i can get a connection and the 2nd light on my router lights up. When i plug it back into my xbox, no light on the router and i cant auto find an IP addr for the xbox or really do anything. It fails the first test. How do you tell if the ethernet jack on the xbox might just be screwed?
Remind me what the first test is...is dhcp failing, link failing?

My '03 Sold.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Time Served

Quote:
if it's not even lighting up it might be your xbox ethernet jack that is screwed (or some other internal component that it needs).

what is the name of the first test? i can't remember off the top of my head.

if you want, you could buy the wireless usb adapter and try that. I've never used one personally, my 360 is wiresd but it would help narrow down your problem. they are rediculously overpriced though ($100, i think).

i have fios also and my 360 works fine on it. oh, and the actiontec router is a piece of shit but if you have coax running to it from your ONT then it's pretty much your only option.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

the first test failing is network adapter.

I tried entering in the IP,sub,gateway addr manually and still nothing. And verizon tech support sucks, i tried them and they didnt help since hooking up an xbox isnt their prob or their hardware.

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Time Served

Quote:
the first test failing is network adapter.

I tried entering in the IP,sub,gateway addr manually and still nothing. And verizon tech support sucks, i tried them and they didnt help since hooking up an xbox isnt their prob or their hardware.
if that same cable is working in your laptop and then you plug it into the 360 and it doesn't light up at all then it sounds like the ethernet on your 360 is broken.

you can call microsoft and send it in for repairs or get a wireless adapter and try that. if you just bought it recently you could try taking it back to where you bought it and get an exchange.

verizon won't be able to do anything to help you with this. you'll have to call microsoft tech support.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54
if that same cable is working in your laptop and then you plug it into the 360 and it doesn't light up at all then it sounds like the ethernet on your 360 is broken.

you can call microsoft and send it in for repairs or get a wireless adapter and try that. if you just bought it recently you could try taking it back to where you bought it and get an exchange.

verizon won't be able to do anything to help you with this. you'll have to call microsoft tech support.
I had that exact problem with mine. They sent a call tag, shipped it off...3 days later I had a "new" one.

works great now..
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

yeah, thats what i was afraid of. stupid shit for xbox. sucks that its over the 1 yr warranty and they will charge me to fix it. I wonder how easy it is to take it apart my self and fix it. The beat down is that its been broke from day 1, but i never had xbox live and assumed it was my connection to the isp.

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
yeah, thats what i was afraid of. stupid shit for xbox. sucks that its over the 1 yr warranty and they will charge me to fix it. I wonder how easy it is to take it apart my self and fix it. The beat down is that its been broke from day 1, but i never had xbox live and assumed it was my connection to the isp.

I didn't read all your posts, but are you sure they will charge you? I bought mine used from a board member...I know for a fact it was older then a year, but without any problems they fixed it free of charge.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Time Served

i know they extended the warranty for xbox 360 from 1 year to 3 years, but i'm not sure if that covers everything or just the red ring of death.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Lifer

If they charge you, it might be cheaper to buy a wireless adapter for it off craigslist or something. You can find used wireless adapters for about $70.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

i called xbox support, they said the extended 3 yr is only for the red rings of death. My warranty was out ,but they said they would fix it for $99 and that also would add another year of regular warranty to it, so i sent it in. Hopefully i'll see it in 2-10 weeks

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

Sponsored Links
Advertisement