PS3 or 360? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

PS3 or 360?

Im wanting to finally get a new console for Christmas, but not sure what to look into. They both seem pretty equal as far as graphics go, but PS3 doesnt seem to break as often and also has Gran Turismo 5. Xbox has live and a larger selection. Any major points im missing? or what you guys would suggest?

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 PM
The Janitor

you could be just as happy with either of them, IMO.

I know you rock out a solid PC, so you already get the best gaming anyway
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:08 PM
duh...duh....duh

I'm an XBOX360 fan, but have no real experience with the PS3. However, I would not consider changing either since the XB360 is pretty awesome for me.

Don't forget about Netflix now for the XBOX.

Also, media sharing is a breeze on the XBOX. I primarly use it to play my MP3s via the home entertainment center and videos that are downlaoded by whatever means.

My '03 Sold.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Gunga galunga

First I would look at the games, are there any console specific games that you want? Do you want blu-ray?

I have a PS3 since it has the games that I like to play, and I really wanted a blu-ray player I also use it as a media server for the living room which is nice. Some things I like about the PS3: its quieter than the xbox, I don't play much online (just COD4) so I like that its free. The RROD on the xobx kinda sucks, but I wouldn't let it stop you from buying one if it has the games you like.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

PS3. You don't have to send it off for service every three months, you've got free online service, an awesome picture and a Blu-Ray player. Game selection really isn't as bad as most people make it out to be.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 01:27 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

If you don't mind super noisy fans, no Bluray ever possible and the very likelihood of a hardware failure every year then go for a 360.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

I have never been let down by my 360 well make that 360's all 8 of them

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

ive had them both, and i sold the 360 and kept the ps3, its hands down better...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 02:00 AM
PVC Racing

i have both

360 - I like the gaming from it mainly for the online playing. way more people online playing it than ps3. I hardly ever play the game for the story lines. Yes mine has messed up once. But once I got it back, very easy to get fix and doesnt take long, have had no problems with it since. And mine is on quite a bit.

Also another thing I like alot more is having the netflix streaming movies through it now. i love watching movies so this makes it even nicer. Plus coming in hd, even better.

now for the ps3. , for gaming it was alittle weird for me. I'm so use to the 360 controller it was hard for me to use the PS3 controller. I will amet the graphics seem better on the PS3. And then you have the blu-ray which just kicks ass for watching movies. I watch all movies through the PS3.

Now GT5 isn't out yet, just the prolong one. 360 has Forza2 which its been out for over year now and its still pretty fun to play.

I figured I should own both since I like both movies and games alot. My pick then would be based on what you want to do with it. gaming? movies? online playing? Me if I had to get rid of one I would keep the 360.

"Less talkie talkie more ping pong"
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Banned

They're both good. My roommate and I had a little debate last night. He's a ps3 nuthugger, but he also complains about every game that has a different button layout than Call of Duty, which makes me weary of his opinion.

I like everything for the PS3 except some of the load times. The blue ray player is awesome and the hard drive is large. Plus free online play is cool. The only real game available for the PS3 that's not on the 360 that's worth a damn in my opinion is Metal Gear Solid 4. Badass game/movie.

The Xbox plus's are that it's cheaper. Unfotunately, they do break down here and there. Just make sure you have as many vents possible, not being blocked off so it doesn't overheat. (PS3's overheat, too, just not as often.) Exclusive titles like the Halo series and Gears of War games are badass.

You'll be happy with either system. It really just comes down to how much you want to spend.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
you could be just as happy with either of them, IMO.

I know you rock out a solid PC, so you already get the best gaming anyway
true, but i am looking at it for the multiplayer aspect. something to play madden or a racing sim on.

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
true, but i am looking at it for the multiplayer aspect. something to play madden or a racing sim on.
The PS3 is probably better for you if that's what you'll be doing.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:35 PM
tha cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclestang89
i have both

360 - I like the gaming from it mainly for the online playing. way more people online playing it than ps3. I hardly ever play the game for the story lines. Yes mine has messed up once. But once I got it back, very easy to get fix and doesnt take long, have had no problems with it since. And mine is on quite a bit.

Also another thing I like alot more is having the netflix streaming movies through it now. i love watching movies so this makes it even nicer. Plus coming in hd, even better.

now for the ps3. , for gaming it was alittle weird for me. I'm so use to the 360 controller it was hard for me to use the PS3 controller. I will amet the graphics seem better on the PS3. And then you have the blu-ray which just kicks ass for watching movies. I watch all movies through the PS3.

Now GT5 isn't out yet, just the prolong one. 360 has Forza2 which its been out for over year now and its still pretty fun to play.

I figured I should own both since I like both movies and games alot. My pick then would be based on what you want to do with it. gaming? movies? online playing? Me if I had to get rid of one I would keep the 360.
people get so upset on the 360 for breaking. yeah the first few would mess up but they fixed it and the rest of them work fine. i promise musclestnag is on the 360 alo and it doesnt mess up. but yeah what do u like to do. movies online playing or story mode just depends its all up to u.

1999 Ford Mustang- Back in Black: under construction

2004 Honda Element- not so much racing goodies the daily driver
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 03:48 PM
duh...duh....duh

For the record, XB360 has a ton of a free online services as well. Just certain aspects are charged for though.

My '03 Sold.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Turn Your Swag On!

If you're just wanting to get a sports/racing console....I'd go with the 360. Forza in my mind has finally caught up with the GT series. If the rumors about Forza3 are somewhat on cue, it will blow GT5 out of the water.

I've had 4 360s now and this latest was a brand new one instead of a refurb. Haven't had any problems with it (yet). Their policy on fixing seems to be pretty fair though and a decent turn around time if you do need to send it back.

1955 F-100
2006 S2000
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
For the record, XB360 has a ton of a free online services as well. Just certain aspects are charged for though.
Like the most important one: online gameplay.

FWIW, my roommate just brought his 360 down for the first time this semester and it just got the ROD about 30 minutes ago. We've probably played it 4 or 5 times in 3 days. L-O-FUCKING-L!

XBOX 360? Looks like we're back to my fully functioning, non-overheating, Blu-Ray playing, free-online gameplay PS3.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 PM
yes, jluv

For me, the choice was simple. I don't game much, but the games I do play on the PS3 blow me away. I have around 20 games and they could last me forever. I'll get new ones as they come out if they seem interesting.

I have not bought a DVD in over a year. I doubt I ever will again. I rarely even go to the movies anymore. Bluray on a 1080p TV is the shit!!!

To have a badass game system and a great Bluray player in one unit? I just can't see where the Xbox compares unless you don't give a shit about Bluray and are really freaked out about certain Xbox-specific game titles.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
Like the most important one: online gameplay.
Important is releveant to the user. Important to me is streaming audio/video from my PC and their standard rentals...etc. Online games are done via PC for the most part.

Not like the PS3 online portion is massive anyway - but I understand your point.

My '03 Sold.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Time Served

i have both. my xbox 360 has a flashed firmware so that I can play backups. i still prefer the ps3.

it really comes down to which one has better games for you. check out the exclusives for each and make your decision. i wouldn't worry too much about the 360 reliability. i've never had a problem with mine, i've had it for over a year now.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:26 AM
que?

gaming only - 360

gaming & media - ps3
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Lifer

Seems like I might be the outcast in here...

My PS3 sits and collects dust except for that blu-ray movie every now and then. Where as my Xbox is used nearly every day.

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Boost is Good

the system that delivers which has had a history of overheating vs. the over priced, over promised, bottle necked movie/game player?
I'll choose the gaming machine that has the better games 360 FTW...

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM
phuk therd gier

i think "better" games is 100% a matter of opinion.. ive had both and ive found lots of good games for both

04 converted V8
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY04Mustang
i think "better" games is 100% a matter of opinion.. ive had both and ive found lots of good games for both
this whole thread is an opinion, but if you really want to get technical, go to IGN and look at which system has more games with a rating of 9-10. PS3 looses by quite a bit..

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement