flash drives - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

flash drives

the new car i just bought has an ipod hook up and a USB spot. im thinking about getting a large jump/flash drive to put music on and keep that in my car. new egg has a 16gb drive for $19.99. how much music can i fit on that? i only have about 20 c.d.s here with me and thought it would be cool to put my whole collection on one drive and not have c.d.s all over the place. if the 16gb is too small, what should i look for? i do not want an ipod or mp3 player or anything like that.

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Merry HoHo

400-450 per GB depending on the bit rate you saved them at. so you could mostly likely put all 20 CD's on a 1gb flash drive.

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEAKY
400-450 per GB depending on the bit rate you saved them at. so you could mostly likely put all 20 CD's on a 1gb flash drive.

i have a 1gb at home, i will try to put them on there tonight. all im doin is ripping from WMP.

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

i would like to have room on the drive to add more music later too.

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Lifer

you can fit like 2500 (have 5k songs on my 30gb zune and its allmost full) songs on 16gb. i think radio shack is having a huge sale on the flash drives right now. fry's has them cheap also.

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon
i would like to have room on the drive to add more music later too.
Another option is to use multiple flash drives. Depending on your preference you could just make each on different types of music...etc.

My GPS plays MP3s, so I just have a few different SD cards that I swap out with mixed music. That way I don't get too tired of the same damned songs. Even at several hundred songs, it can get old over long road trips..etc.

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
Another option is to use multiple flash drives. Depending on your preference you could just make each on different types of music...etc.

My GPS plays MP3s, so I just have a few different SD cards that I swap out with mixed music. That way I don't get too tired of the same damned songs. Even at several hundred songs, it can get old over long road trips..etc.

i would just throw them all on one if i can. i don't listen to music that often, but when i do, i would like to just stick one thing in and cycle through the songs on it. better then looking for the c.d. and messing with all that.

my dad just gave me a 4gb drive to use. i also have a 4gb micro with adapter at home, i just need the USB adapter to use that.

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

would using WMP be ok for what i want to do? or should i find a program that condences the songs down?

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Lifer

personally i would convert to mp3. but if your deck supports wma then i guess thats fine.

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 AM
duh...duh....duh

K, so buy an external drive, 2.5" - USB Probably can get 250GB versions fairly cheap that would easy take a large collection. I'm assuming since it'll power a flash drive it'll power a 2.5" HDD. (might need to check on that.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822242001

That's an example. Get a longer USB cable and keep the drive under the seat...glove box..or hide it elsewhere. Recommend trying to make sure it get some airflow though.

My '03 Sold.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
K, so buy an external drive, 2.5" - USB Probably can get 250GB versions fairly cheap that would easy take a large collection. I'm assuming since it'll power a flash drive it'll power a 2.5" HDD. (might need to check on that.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822242001

That's an example. Get a longer USB cable and keep the drive under the seat...glove box..or hide it elsewhere. Recommend trying to make sure it get some airflow though.
i wouldn't need something like that. i would never come close to filling that up. just a little flash drive would work. i guess i will get home tonight, search for a program to convert to MP3 and see how many i can put on the 4gb and go from there

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Merry HoHo

WMA files are fine, don't mess with converting them IMHO.

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEAKY
WMA files are fine, don't mess with converting them IMHO.

i thought they would be. i just don't know alot about music storage. i would that if the car will play a c.d. of ripped songs from WMP then it would play them from a flash drive

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement