Securing my internet - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Texan

Securing my internet

My roommate just took the password off our internet so his buddy down stairs can get on in, but our whole f*ing apartment building is using it right now. All I am trying to do is take the cord from the original internet box that normally plugs into the wireless router and plug that cat 5 cable directly into my computer, but when I do it doesn't work. The lights come on where it plugs into my computer (1 green, 1 orange) showing activity, but when I go to load a page online it gives me the generic "this page cannot be displayed" screen.

Sorry if this is something really, really basic but I'm clueless when it comes to stuff like this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I really hope all information is included because I started loading the Post New Thread screen at 10:54, thanks in advance.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Whoops. Read the post wrong, gave the wrong answer. Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 03:04 AM
Banned

For your average run of the mill dumbass a WEP key should be more than enough. You should be able to set it up through your routers interface. Just make sure you remember what it is so that you can give it out to those who need it. Better yet, don't give it out, have them bring their machine to you for you to input the key.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:30 AM
duh...duh....duh

Sooo, makes MUCH more sense to just secure it up and do what racrguy suggested.

Now, it could just be that 1 person is sucking up all your bandwidth anyway.

Man, wireless networks that are not secured - bad news.

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Licking the windows!

Okay, I have a dumb question... How can you tell if someone in fact is using your wireless router? I have wireless set up in my apt. and have no WEP or security turned on and have never had a problem, but how can I know for sure if someone is bogarting my bandwidth?

Thanks

David
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0
Okay, I have a dumb question... How can you tell if someone in fact is using your wireless router? I have wireless set up in my apt. and have no WEP or security turned on and have never had a problem, but how can I know for sure if someone is bogarting my bandwidth?

Thanks

David
Depending on what brand of router you have it will have a section in the interface that shows connected devices.

Finally got a Cobra
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Fuck all these ideas.

Sniff all their packets and reset their passwords. That will teach em a lesson.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
Fuck all these ideas.

go on...
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

lol

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fakesnake
Depending on what brand of router you have it will have a section in the interface that shows connected devices.
Standard Linksys WRT54G

I don't think I have ever even gone into the setup.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Fuck all these ideas.

lol...he's having trouble connecting directly to his router and you think he's going to start watching traffic and hack someones network???

--wes
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fakesnake

Where exactly is this interface? Does it come on the supplied disc? I have never bothered to look at it and you got me interested to see if there is anyone out there. Probly not though.

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
Where exactly is this interface? Does it come on the supplied disc? I have never bothered to look at it and you got me interested to see if there is anyone out there. Probly not though.
In your address bar type 192.168.1.1. This will typically get you to the router, you then need to login. Try admin for username and password for password or admin1-password or admin-password1 or some combination of them will likely get you in.

Hunt will likely know the default username and password for the WRT54G

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
In your address bar type 192.168.1.1. This will typically get you to the router, you then need to login. Try admin for username and password for password or admin1-password or admin-password1 or some combination of them will likely get you in.

Hunt will likely know the default username and password for the WRT54G

It will actually have all the info you need on the back of the router itself.

--wes
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Lifer

wrt54g no username and the password is admin.

In the status section click on wireless or local network and then DHCP clients table, this will give the pc name and ip that is connected.
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWtechie
wrt54g no username and the password is admin.

In the status section click on wireless or local network and then DHCP clients table, this will give the pc name and ip that is connected.

Sweet... thanks, I found someone's Lenovo lappie stealing my shit. There is a checkbox and a delete button, so I did that on his IP, I assume all he will have to do is reboot or just reconnect to my network and he will be back on. Is there a way to refuse access to his IP address, or do I have to enable WEP?

Thanks

David
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Sweet... thanks, I found someone's Lenovo lappie stealing my shit. There is a checkbox and a delete button, so I did that on his IP, I assume all he will have to do is reboot or just reconnect to my network and he will be back on. Is there a way to refuse access to his IP address, or do I have to enable WEP?

Thanks

David
WEP would be the simplest for you and also assumes he's not savvy enough to "discover" the WEP Key.

post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Thanks

David
Yes, you need to enable at least WEP or WPA Personal (ideally) over wireless.

You can also just block his MAC address and he's dead in the water. Once you're logged into the Linksys router. Status > Local Networks > DHCP Clients Table > See list of IP addresses and MAC addresses for every machine running on your network.

Enter the offending MAC address into the router. Wireless > Wireless MAC Filter > Enable filter > Prevent PCs > Edit MAC Filter list > enter MAC & save.

Game over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Just click wireless and enable WEP.

post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Just click wireless and enable WEP.

I have two Ethernet Bridges on my network also that are providing access for my RePlayTV's and I don't want to phuq those up...thats why I have never enabled any security. I haven't ever had a problem, my shit has always worked...just wonder how to do it if I choose to.
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I have two Ethernet Bridges on my network also that are providing access for my RePlayTV's and I don't want to phuq those up...thats why I have never enabled any security. I haven't ever had a problem, my shit has always worked...just wonder how to do it if I choose to.
Then take my advice. You don't have to enable wireless security if you enable MAC filtering.

Next time he's online just take note of his MAC address and enter it into the filter. You can keep your network wide open and the bandwidth thief can't log into it. And you can just do that on a case by case basis.

The instructions are in my previous post.

Quote:
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Then take my advice. You don't have to enable wireless security if you enable MAC filtering.

Next time he's online just take note of his MAC address and enter it into the filter. You can keep your network wide open and the bandwidth thief can't log into it. And you can just do that on a case by case basis.

Cool, I'll do it. When I pull up the list of DHCP clients, there are 4...should be 3 if I am correct. My laptop and my two bridges...however the description/name area is blank on all but my laptop. Does this only show wireless connected MAC's or all? I wonder if my Xbox360 is one or my box for my Charter cable phone service is one, they are both hardwired with ethernet cables though.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Lifer

I dont use WEP. Seems sometimes I have to re-enter the network info to get a computer to connect. I've always just used mac address filtering... It allows ONLY MY computers to connect. Sure you have to put each MAC address in that u want to have access... but it blocks anything NOT on the list and I've never had a problem.

Daniel's RV-7:

Empenage - Done
Wings - 98.5% Done
Fuselage - Bulkheads...

http://www.danielhv.com
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Cool, I'll do it. When I pull up the list of DHCP clients, there are 4...should be 3 if I am correct. My laptop and my two bridges...however the description/name area is blank on all but my laptop. Does this only show wireless connected MAC's or all? I wonder if my Xbox360 is one or my box for my Charter cable phone service is one, they are both hardwired with ethernet cables though.
The DHCP Clients Table will show everything that is connected to your network wired or wireless. For example, I can see my Vonage phone adapter IP/MAC and it's plugged in via Ethernet. And I also see my two wireless computers and one wireless printer.

To determine what belongs to what...All network capable devices will have a MAC address stamped or stenciled somewhere on the device or operators manual.

Quote:
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Just make it where only your MAC's can connect.

post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Licking the windows!

Just for the hell of it, I checked again...now some MF'ers iPhone is attached and another laptop. MAC's copied and pasted... CLICK...GONE.

They want to use my bandwidth...come knock on my door and we can work a dealio out.. $10 a month...unlimited use.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Just for the hell of it, I checked again...now some MF'ers iPhone is attached and another laptop. MAC's copied and pasted... CLICK...GONE.

They want to use my bandwidth...come knock on my door and we can work a dealio out.. $10 a month...unlimited use.

In the iPhone guys defense those damn things will connect to damn near anything that broadcasts. How about you turn off radio broadcasts once you have your connections established ??

--wes
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:

So I entered the MAC address of the guys iPhone and denied it. Well it was back about two hours later, how can that happen? Exact same MAC

David
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
So I entered the MAC address of the guys iPhone and denied it. Well it was back about two hours later, how can that happen? Exact same MAC

David
after you added it, did you make sure and save it at the bottom of the page
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay's96cobra
after you added it, did you make sure and save it at the bottom of the page
Yeah, I saved on the list box and the bottom of the access page.
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Lifer

Can't you set it to only allow certain MAC addresses instead of playing whack-a-mole with every one that pops up or does that require the key/password bit?
post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bard
Can't you set it to only allow certain MAC addresses instead of playing whack-a-mole with every one that pops up or does that require the key/password bit?

Looks like you can do it either way.
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Licking the windows!

Okay ....new question for you gurus. Since I have these people's IP's and MAC's, is there a protocol I can use to send them a message or an IM-like popup that is either built into Vista or easily D/L'able? They are using my bandwidth, I should be able to screw with them I think..

David
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Looks like you can do it either way.
So why not set to allow only and enter the one's you want to grant access to? Too easy?
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bard
So why not set to allow only and enter the one's you want to grant access to? Too easy?
No, I could do that (and probably will end up doing it if this doesn't work) but I do like continually kicking them offline. But I really want to be able to send them an IM-like message somehow, I bet there is a way....just have to find the right person.

David
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Talking

Quote:
No, I could do that (and probably will end up doing it if this doesn't work) but I do like continually kicking them offline. But I really want to be able to send them an IM-like message somehow, I bet there is a way....just have to find the right person.

David
If you feel comfortable trying something and you REALY wanna mess w/ them... clicky

post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

change your router firmware to ddwrt.

post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Why don't you just remote in and hook a brutha up?

post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
If you feel comfortable trying something and you REALY wanna mess w/ them... clicky

That shit is funny as hell....but greek to me also.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:

What is that? I did just so happen to upgrade the firmware to the latest patch last night...man I was like 4 versions behind.
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:

I wonder if that's against the law? It almost sounds like it would be but you never know. Not that i would care, but just curious.

Quote:

Quote:
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
I wonder if that's against the law? It almost sounds like it would be but you never know. Not that i would care, but just curious.

It is.

http://news.cnet.com/FAQ-Wi-Fi-mooch...3-5778822.html

That doesn't make much sense. Is there a specific law that regulates Wi-Fi access?
Sort of. The primary law is the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

You can read it for yourself, but the important part (check out paragraph (a)(2)) covers anyone who "intentionally accesses a computer without authorization or exceeds authorized access." Nobody knows exactly what that means in terms of wireless connections. The law was written in 1986 to punish computer hacking--and nobody contemplated 802.1x wireless links back then.

post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Licking the windows!

Damn.... Per Charter

Customer may set up one (1) web page per service account for personal use of the Service, but Customer may not establish a web page using a server located at Customerís home. Customer will not use, or allow others to use, Customerís home computer as a web server, FTP server, file server or game server or to run any other server applications or to provide network or host services to others via Charterís network. Customer will not use, or allow others to use, the Service to operate any type of business or commercial enterprise, including but not limited to, IP address translation or similar facilities intended to provide additional access. Customer will not advertise that the Service is available for use by third parties or unauthorized users. Customer will not resell or redistribute, or allow others to resell or redistribute, access to the Service in any manner, including but not limited to wireless technology.
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:

David
Arrgh... he's back...same MAC address again even though it is already "blocked"

How is that?

David
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Arrgh... he's back...same MAC address again even though it is already "blocked"

How is that?

David
Sounds like you're not doing something right. I use MAC filtering on a Linksys WRT54GS and it works. They cannot log onto the network. I've even tested by putting my wireless printer MAC into the filter. And it stops working and is unable to get an IP address from the router.

I have a feeling you aren't using the filter correctly. It might be easier for you to go to option #2. And that is only allowing your own device MACs to access the network and block all other MACs by default.

You can use the filter one of two ways.

Quote:
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Sounds like you're not doing something right. I use MAC filtering on a Linksys WRT54GS and it works. They cannot log onto the network. I've even tested by putting my wireless printer MAC into the filter. And it stops working and is unable to get an IP address from the router.

I have a feeling you aren't using the filter correctly. It might be easier for you to go to option #2. And that is only allowing your own device MACs to access the network and block all other MACs by default.

You can use the filter one of two ways.
It is likely connecting, but not routing. He will be able to connect to the network, but he wont get an IP.

--wes
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman
It is likely connecting, but not routing. He will be able to connect to the network, but he wont get an IP.

--wes
This last time it assigned him an IP...I made note of it and ALSO put the IP in as a blocked IP....
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Licking the windows!

Okay someone that knows Linksys routers check me...

This time instead of putting the offending MAC's in the Access Restrictions>edit list of PCs list

I put them in - Wireless>Wireless MAC Filter

Will this make the difference? If so... what in the world is the first list I was using for, if not to grant or take away rights of MACs?

Thanks

David
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Lifer

Are you being serious?

Take another look at Post #18. I gave you detailed instructions on how to do it and so has others. I have the same firmware and GUI.

49 posts later you're still asking how to do it. Not trying to be a prick, but come on. It shouldn't take 50 posts to tell you how to use your MAC filter.

Post #18 has detailed instructions and it works perfectly.

Quote:

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 11-21-2008 at 06:24 PM.
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Are you being serious?

Take another look at Post #18. I gave you detailed instructions on how to do it and so has others. I have the same firmware and GUI.

49 posts later you're still asking how to do it. Not trying to be a prick, but come on. It shouldn't take 50 posts to tell you how to use your MAC filter.

Post #18 has detailed instructions and it works perfectly.
I guess I read it wrong back on post 18.... I saw a list where you could enter MAC's and it said MAC filter so I have been using it. Can you explain what that is for, if not to prevent people from attaching to your router?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement