If you have more than 4 computers at home - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

If you have more than 4 computers at home

get Windows Home Server! I have been using it myself for about 3 months now and I couldn't be happier. It will act as a central repository for all your Music, Videos, and Pictures that can be accessed by any of your PCs. It backsup all the PCs in your network and if your computer takes a shit, just boot from the restore CD and restore from a backup when the computer was working well. I built my own server or you can buy one from BestBuy, NewEgg, etc. You can pick up the OEM media at Frys and install it on any computer that will support Windows Server 2003. The only requirement is that you should have lots of storage space it doesn't need to be a very powerful machine (the HP server runs on a Celeron processor).

Again...I don't get shit if you do or don't buy this product just sharing the knowledge. I can post screenshots of whatever you want to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Lifer

Never used it but I haven't had any problem using XP with wireless cards to do the same thing. 4 computers here...desktop, garage, laptop, and one in the guest room.

FUCK Canada
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
Never used it but I haven't had any problem using XP with wireless cards to do the same thing. 4 computers here...desktop, garage, laptop, and one in the guest room.
How do you backup your computers?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 01:38 PM
duh...duh....duh

I run 8 or 9 PCs - I'm curious how the backup thing works. Also, does windows home server interact well/at all with the XBOX 360?

I would not mind some screenshots of the things you find cool.

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcluke
How do you backup your computers?
Well for my use I dont need to back up anything other than my primary desktop computer which is where I keep all my important docs, pics, music, etc. The other computers are networked simply so I can use my one printer, listen to music that I have saved on my desktop storage drive, or surf the internet. If I ever store anything important on my laptop or the other computers I can just save it to a USB jumpdrive or a blank DVD and transfer it that way. I backup my desktop computer using a 25gb BD-RE Blu-ray disc.

FUCK Canada
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 PM
El Camino

I tried it in beta and rc and never could get a damn client to connect back

For now I've been using ms synch toy or the vista backup util to dump to my win2k3 enterprise server with 1.5tb in raid 5

I may give it another try on my security lab segment. Does it work in a VM?

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
I run 8 or 9 PCs - I'm curious how the backup thing works. Also, does windows home server interact well/at all with the XBOX 360?

I would not mind some screenshots of the things you find cool.
You install the WHS Connector software and basically it is like a mini-domain. It creates a link on all users desktops that takes them to the Shared Folders on the server. Backup Retention is configurable (see screenshots).
http://picasaweb.google.com/lukeusmc/WindowsHomeServer#
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Is that a Fobra?

3 computers using xp. My important HDs are shared to the network works pretty well for me. Would be nice to have a backup only computer, next machine I build I will make it mirror my backup drive.

1994 Mustang Cobra Black
1995 Mustang Cobra Rio Red *RIP*
1999 Ford Ranger
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Lifer

Interesting, I have 2 terabyte external drives I back everything up on manually. Maybe I need to look into this.

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
I tried it in beta and rc and never could get a damn client to connect back

For now I've been using ms synch toy or the vista backup util to dump to my win2k3 enterprise server with 1.5tb in raid 5

I may give it another try on my security lab segment. Does it work in a VM?

no, it does not work on VMs. It doesn't like the VHD emulater. also. What the hell do you do to be able to buy Win2K03 ent? last I checked, $ was around $2,600 and thats without CALS.

as for my backup needs, I have 7 computers, #7 being my server running Win2K03 std with 2TB in RAID 10 (aka 1+0). It houses all my music, videos, pics, work files, school files, etc. as well as being my application server so I only have to buy one license . All my computers dump an image of their drive to it once a week. Backups are kept for a month, then at the start of the next month, the oldest of each pc is erased and again the following week, etc. I found Home Server to be a little flaky at times. had 2 crashs, but no data loss.

edit- Is WHS running just RAID 0, or can you configure it for 0 or 1 or even 0/1. Couldnt find info on it

Last edited by Red Shadow; 11-14-2008 at 10:05 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shadow
...as well as being my application server so I only have to buy one license .
Hahahah, that's a great idea/way to save some scratch.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 03:10 PM
El Camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shadow
no, it does not work on VMs. It doesn't like the VHD emulater. also. What the hell do you do to be able to buy Win2K03 ent? last I checked, $ was around $2,600 and thats without CALS.

as for my backup needs, I have 7 computers, #7 being my server running Win2K03 std with 2TB in RAID 10 (aka 1+0). It houses all my music, videos, pics, work files, school files, etc. as well as being my application server so I only have to buy one license . All my computers dump an image of their drive to it once a week. Backups are kept for a month, then at the start of the next month, the oldest of each pc is erased and again the following week, etc. I found Home Server to be a little flaky at times. had 2 crashs, but no data loss.

edit- Is WHS running just RAID 0, or can you configure it for 0 or 1 or even 0/1. Couldnt find info on it
I had a MS Sales Engineer put my name in a hat for a sales giveaway MS did a few years ago so I got a nice free technet + subscription.

I have one 2k3 ent 32bit box for my home server and use the 64bit version for my vm infosec lab server

My standard 2k3 license is on a honeypot box

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement