THE BIGGEST and most important thing to remember is the industry has no standard for their specifications. At least everything I've read stated that and I do believe it is fact. Soooo, those specifications (I think specifically response times trying to find out the details) don't necessarily mean squat.
25" range the first one I'd research is....
...disregard. They don't have it online. The Costco along 75 has a sweat 25" Viewsonic on the shelf. Otherwise here is their online selection.
Here are my stupid tips.
1. Some monitors (like some model samsungs) look great with their shiney fronts and stuff and put off a nice picture, but the glare would be horrendous.
2. I do use the display models to determine which ones I like, but then I either do it or make them hook up the monitors I like directly to a PC. Split signals suck.
3. I try to make sure the lights for buttons on the front are not bright.
4. I do pay attention to the response times.
5. I try to find it on maximumpc.com - for reviews. I've found them to be pretty well aligned with what I think.
6. *I* would stay open minded with brand names. Scepter might make a better product one month than dell, gateway, samsung...etc.
My '03 Sold.