Let's talk monitors - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Let's talk monitors

Ok where do you get your monitors from now and what are the features you look for?

I really haven't bought a monitor in years and I am starting to get the itch for something in the 25in range and accepts digital inputs. What are you suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

I love viewsonic and Samsung. My company used to buy only hp monitors intill I bought my 22in samsungs. now we supply the samsung. I have a 245bw at home. Love it.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Lifer

I like the Dell flat panels. They have a great picture and are reliable.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:11 PM
BANNED

I got mine off of woot. It sells for like 500 at best buy. Is the HPw2408h

It is badass. 24" all the inputs you want. HDMI and VGA. 1920 x 1200 res. S video hook up. Integrated rear facing speakers. 2 usb hook ups on the side. Adjusts the screen lighting based on the light in the room( you can shut a blind and actually see the screen adjust). It rotates vertical for picture viewing or anything thing else. Its awesome. Makes spreadsheets very easy.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Lifer

you need to look for a good refresh rate, high resolution, and a high contrast ratio. I have a samsung syncmaster 2693 HM

By the way DELL sucks!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeski
you need to look for a good refresh rate, high resolution, and a high contrast ratio. I have a samsung syncmaster 2693 HM

By the way DELL sucks!
So nVidia sucks, Dell sucks, etc. Why don't you try and qualify your statements with information as to why a product is inferior instead of just "yelling" your opinion.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 07:12 AM
duh...duh....duh

THE BIGGEST and most important thing to remember is the industry has no standard for their specifications. At least everything I've read stated that and I do believe it is fact. Soooo, those specifications (I think specifically response times trying to find out the details) don't necessarily mean squat.

25" range the first one I'd research is....

...disregard. They don't have it online. The Costco along 75 has a sweat 25" Viewsonic on the shelf. Otherwise here is their online selection.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?ec=BC-EC12116-Cat1680&pos=0&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=62021&eCat=BC|84|1680|62021&lang=en-US

Here are my stupid tips.

1. Some monitors (like some model samsungs) look great with their shiney fronts and stuff and put off a nice picture, but the glare would be horrendous.
2. I do use the display models to determine which ones I like, but then I either do it or make them hook up the monitors I like directly to a PC. Split signals suck.
3. I try to make sure the lights for buttons on the front are not bright.
4. I do pay attention to the response times.
5. I try to find it on maximumpc.com - for reviews. I've found them to be pretty well aligned with what I think.
6. *I* would stay open minded with brand names. Scepter might make a better product one month than dell, gateway, samsung...etc.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Lifer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcluke
So nVidia sucks, Dell sucks, etc. Why don't you try and qualify your statements with information as to why a product is inferior instead of just "yelling" your opinion.
NVIDIA sucks because they are over-rated, and DELL sucks because it's DELL...LOL nah the specs on the DELL moniters are horrible.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 12:00 PM
duh...duh....duh

Nvidia right now is the best choice bang for buck and has been for a little while now. I buy what's best, not the name. Study benchmarks vs game performance vs cost and you'll see.

My '03 Sold.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeski
NVIDIA sucks because they are over-rated, and DELL sucks because it's DELL...LOL nah the specs on the DELL moniters are horrible.
"NVIDIA sucks because they are over-rated"
Wow, that's some detailed insight

"the specs on the DELL moniters are horrible"
Any data to back up your claims? and JESUS, ever fucking heard of spell check? WTF is a "moniter"?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcluke
Ok where do you get your monitors from now and what are the features you look for?

I really haven't bought a monitor in years and I am starting to get the itch for something in the 25in range and accepts digital inputs. What are you suggestions?
Acer doesn't get much love for their monitors, but they are one of the best bang-for-the-buck when it comes to large LCD monitors nowadays.
I trust NewEgg reviews (for the most part) because most buyers are fellow geeks and IT people, not mall shopping idiots who say "X product sucked because they couldn't figure it out" (again, for the most part... it's not entirely free of idiots).

Check out this 24" (1920x1200) with glossy screen for $339 with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009125

If you don't like the glossy screen, save $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009152

The glossy screen is nice IF you have a room/office where light can be controlled, it helps add depth to the picture... but glare is a downside if you don't have a light controlled environment.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmarin
Acer doesn't get much love for their monitors, but they are one of the best bang-for-the-buck when it comes to large LCD monitors nowadays.
I trust NewEgg reviews (for the most part) because most buyers are fellow geeks and IT people, not mall shopping idiots who say "X product sucked because they couldn't figure it out" (again, for the most part... it's not entirely free of idiots).

Check out this 24" (1920x1200) with glossy screen for $339 with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009125

If you don't like the glossy screen, save $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009152

The glossy screen is nice IF you have a room/office where light can be controlled, it helps add depth to the picture... but glare is a downside if you don't have a light controlled environment.
Thanks for the tip. I know someone who is looking for a large monitor.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 10:06 PM
KJ94GT

I use twin Samsung 245BWs. The resolution is tight. I've never had a Samsung with any dead pixels or anything. The refresh rate is 5ms. They're really nice and have a resolution up to 1920x1200. I think some of the 25.5" screens out there offer the same resolution so you're getting the larger screen but the same resolution of the 24" screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement