Want to see the new version of Windows? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Want to see the new version of Windows?

Look at any computer running Vista. Seriously...I am posting from a fresh install of Windows 7 and it looks just like Vista. I don't have anything against Vista and personally I have never had a problem with Vista but I was expecting more.

From Windows 7 Screenshots

Last edited by usmcluke; 11-03-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
You a beta tester?

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 07:27 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcluke
Look at any computer running Vista. Seriously...I am posting from a fresh install of Windows 7 and it looks just like Vista. I don't have anything against Vista and personally I have never had a problem with Vista but I was expecting more.

Windows 7 is basically Vista with a few changes, Vista was the big jump, from XP. Windows 7 is like the difference between win98, and WinME - not substantial.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
You a beta tester?
In a way. I got a copy because of some of the Microsoft Programs I am part of.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
Windows 7 is basically Vista with a few changes, Vista was the big jump, from XP. Windows 7 is like the difference between win98, and WinME - not substantial.
I knew it wasn't a re-write but it really is anti-climatic. I am starting to see some things I am liking. The My Pictures/Music/Videos have been renamed as Libraries and you can include multiple folders under each library. Paint includes the Menu strip like Office 2007. I will update as I find more differences.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
In a way. I got a copy because of some of the Microsoft Programs I am part of.
That's pretty cool. If you don't mind my asking, what is it you do?

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's pretty cool. If you don't mind my asking, what is it you do?
IT Consulting. From Enterprise, SMB, and everything in between. Mostly focused on Microsoft Solutions.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
IT Consulting. From Enterprise, SMB, and everything in between. Mostly focused on Microsoft Solutions.
It's prolly late in life to try but I've been thinkin about goin to school to work in IT doing something.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's prolly late in life to try but I've been thinkin about goin to school to work in IT doing something.
It is never too late to learn. You will have to start out in an entry level position but if you show that you are willing to work hard you can move up fairly quickly.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

It's a thought. My employer offers tuition reimbursement and a job in the field i go to school for at least one year. You think a municipality is a decent place to get started? I've already worked on/disinfected... half of my departments personal(employee owned) computers.

I'm just afraid if I do it as a job then I won't enjoy doing it anymore.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's a thought. My employer offers tuition reimbursement and a job in the field i go to school for at least one year. You think a municipality is a decent place to get started? I've already worked on/disinfected... half of my departments personal(employee owned) computers.
IT is a broad field, desktop support is the bottom of the ladder. Working for a city is a challenge because usually they are budget challeneged. There are as many different directions to go as there are major applications (i.e. Exchange, SQL, .NET programmer, Java programmer, and so on) The first step would be getting a good basis in the broader part of what you think you will persue. Desktop support can lead to server support which leads to server applications, etc. Programming is typically established in school and then a few years sweating out code as an entry level programmer. You can train to go straight to servers and enterprise applications but you should have a good understanding of how things work at a desktop level and basic network understanding if you plan on attempting that.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
IT is a broad field, desktop support is the bottom of the ladder. Working for a city is a challenge because usually they are budget challeneged. There are as many different directions to go as there are major applications (i.e. Exchange, SQL, .NET programmer, Java programmer, and so on) The first step would be getting a good basis in the broader part of what you think you will persue. Desktop support can lead to server support which leads to server applications, etc. Programming is typically established in school and then a few years sweating out code as an entry level programmer. You can train to go straight to servers and enterprise applications but you should have a good understanding of how things work at a desktop level and basic network understanding if you plan on attempting that.
The main thing I was getting at w/ the city is that I'll be able to get some 'sperience under my belt w/out having to worry about competing w/ established/knowledgeabl folks like you,Hunt,Abecx and the list goes on. From there I can hunt for better pay while I have a job there.

I dunno. There's so many different things I'd like to do like overhead line work, for example. I've done it and enjoy it but I don't think it's necessarily the job to have w/ 2 chirrens.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Lifer

Can't really tell anything from those screen shots. I hope the hell that they fixed some of the file copying problems that Vista suffers from. Vista's receive window auto-tuning makes for some crappy performance in most cases. I disabled that almost immediately on my personal junk. And there are a lot of things I think that need to be improved upon with Vista UAC. And robocopy, which I use all the time has some bugs that need to be ironed out.

Instead of Microsoft just adding candy to their GUI, it would be nice for improved functionality and compatibility. Vista prior to SP1 treated almost everything as legacy software.

Not impressed any of their new OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 04:49 PM
fuckcanada

do you have the one with the taskbar improvements? what build do you have?

I got it running in a VM right now, and i'm happy with it as I was with vista.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Thats against the law Man

Quote:
Hey Luke, are you a certified partner? Just wondering at what level you are engaging these customers.

BTW - never heard back from you way back when on that IP phone solution.

69/70ish Mustang
Dedicated To The Hater Purists

70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rreemo
Hey Luke, are you a certified partner? Just wondering at what level you are engaging these customers.

Sorry about that, I passed on the info to the appropriate people. Fucking jackasses.

Yes I am a certified partner.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
do you have the one with the taskbar improvements? what build do you have?

I got it running in a VM right now, and i'm happy with it as I was with vista.
Tell me what you want to see and I will get you some screenshots.

Build 6801
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Can't really tell anything from those screen shots. I hope the hell that they fixed some of the file copying problems that Vista suffers from. Vista's receive window auto-tuning makes for some crappy performance in most cases. I disabled that almost immediately on my personal junk. And there are a lot of things I think that need to be improved upon with Vista UAC. And robocopy, which I use all the time has some bugs that need to be ironed out.

Instead of Microsoft just adding candy to their GUI, it would be nice for improved functionality and compatibility. Vista prior to SP1 treated almost everything as legacy software.

Not impressed any of their new OS.
There is a marked decrease in file copy times within 7. I am dual booting this box and power to 7 takes 33secs, power to Vista is 1min20secs. The more I use 7 the happier I am with it. Drag a window to the top and the window is maximized. Media Center has been cleaned up a little and displays better on my HD TV which is configured as a secondary display. I did a Passmark Benchmark in vista and scored a 680 and then booted over to 7 and scored a 800.

Mobo:MSI P7N SLI
CPU: Intel E7200 Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz
Memory: 4 Gb Kingston (not the extreme gamer shit, just standard Kingston)
GPU: nVidia 9800 GTX
HDD1: Maxtor 320Gb Sata 7200RPM
HDD2:Western Digital 320 Gb Sata 7200RPM
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Lifer

I will just wait until the service packs come out for windows 7 before I get it.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeski
I will just wait until the service packs come out for windows 7 before I get it.
It will be awhile before 7 is release. I am running a Pre-Beta version. It is however highly refined VERY early in developement which bodes well for the actual final release product. I would actually move to 7 today, so far I don't see any deal breakers and everything I use works well with 7.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Thats against the law Man

Quote:
Yes I am a certified partner.
Worthy - very good place to be.

If you ever run across those jackasses again, I'm still taking bids on a new phone system....tell them not to be skeerd - I've been doing business with Freedom-Voice for almost 5 years now....so really ready to make something happen.

69/70ish Mustang
Dedicated To The Hater Purists

70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:20 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:

IP Phone solution? What ya going to an MS Solutions guy for that stuff? (ya ya, I know about MS dabbling in it)

I work for a Cisco Gold Partner (Cisco Partner of the Year...etc...etc) and specialize in IP Telephony. Hit me up for what ya need and I'll let you know what options we can provide. (Or usmcluke, not trying to gank business from anyone - but we have good (excuse me, the best) solutions)

Take care

My '03 Sold.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Worthy - very good place to be.

If you ever run across those jackasses again, I'm still taking bids on a new phone system....tell them not to be skeerd - I've been doing business with Freedom-Voice for almost 5 years now....so really ready to make something happen.
I will pass that on. They are certified Nortel and Mitel partners. And if you want to get fancy we can work in some OCS integration .

Ceyko
Cisco's IP telephony has made leaps and bounds of late but the problem is if you aren't already using EVERYTHING Cisco they will blame any problem on the equipment that isn't Cisco. I have experienced this multiple times and I am also Cisco certified. I don't really give a shit about the IP Telephony business to be honest but that has been my personal experience.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:40 AM
Banned

IIRC, Windows 7 also doesn't dedicate memory (can't remember exactly which one) to minimized windows exactly as it would if they were maximized like Vista does.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 AM
duh...duh....duh

9 times out of 10 it is a problem with the non-Cisco equipment. However, all those potential problems need to be discovered ahead of time (during design/discovery phase of project). In my experience other gear either does not do QoS or does not do it well, has fucked up POE or a myriad of other problems. You get what you pay for, in short. A lot of other gear is OKAY at simple switching/routing but anything beyond that is iffy.

Now, some the proprietary shit that Cisco IPT gear can do with Cisco switching gear is a PITA to work around if you don't have Cisco switching gear. However, it CAN be setup that way and it would be no different that another decent phone system.

I can't argue much for the Nortel/Mitel side. I've worked for a Nortel Partner that focused 90% there and 10% Cisco and Nortel is downright pathetic. I've worked with Mitel partners and if it is small business it would be OK in comparison to Nortel.

My '03 Sold.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:16 AM
<Insert Title Here>

Quote:

Man...

I was REALLY hoping it would mimic Server 2008. I like how Server 2008 looks and it can support 16 cpus + 32 gb of memory.

Of course...that is server 2008...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement