Verizon FIOS Actiontec router problems - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Question Verizon FIOS Actiontec router problems

I have FIOS and use the provided Actiontec MI424WR Router Revision D. Firmware Version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7

This is actually my 3rd router provided by Verizon in 2 1/2 years. The previous two lasted about a year and completely died.

Problem: I have the 20/5 plan and that's what my results usually are anytime I test my bandwidth when connected to the router using an Ethernet cable. However, after a specified amount of time after a rebooting my router my wireless laptop will stop pulling down 20/5 and it will max out at 10/2. However, to correct this all I have to do is reboot the router and the wireless laptop starts testing at 20/5 again from the same location in the house. It will stay 20/5 for a few hours and then revert to 10/2, BUT if you plug in the laptop to the router via cable it tests 20/5 all day long.

I called tech support and they said that I have the most up to date firmware and the latest revision of the Actiontec MI424. They basically could not explain why the wireless was choking down the bandwidth after a certain period of time, but the Ethernet port continues to work fine. I told them it's obviously a bug in the firmware or the router is bad brand new out of the box. I've had this particular router for just about a month. They also claim that nobody else has complained about this issue. I am basically stuck here because tech support can't do anything for me, but send me out yet another router.

Anybody else have a similar experience or have any helpful info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:12 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Are you supposed to get the same speed via wireless as you are when you are hardwired?

DFW Mustangs dot net
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 AM
duh...duh....duh

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

Make that site your new friend for awhile. That's the FIOS Internet (more or less) forum, there is a TV one as well. Take a search there see what you see.

In short, for such a good service the router they deployed looks great, has an decent interface but functionality is not all that great on it.

I personally bridged mine to my own firewall and run an AP. I have it setup so VOD/Guide work, but otherwise no other services are enabled on my "router." (Wireless is turned off) I just have a basic, 5 y/o AP running and my internal LAN gear. Recommend you consider bridging the device and just using your own crap.

Take care

My '03 Sold.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

Make that site your new friend for awhile. That's the FIOS Internet (more or less) forum, there is a TV one as well. Take a search there see what you see.

In short, for such a good service the router they deployed looks great, has an decent interface but functionality is not all that great on it.

I personally bridged mine to my own firewall and run an AP. I have it setup so VOD/Guide work, but otherwise no other services are enabled on my "router." (Wireless is turned off) I just have a basic, 5 y/o AP running and my internal LAN gear. Recommend you consider bridging the device and just using your own crap.

Take care
Thanks.

That forum has a plethora of info to look at regarding the Actiontec MI424. It looks like this router has big problems due to a small NAT table and gets overloaded with too many TCP/IP connections. I'll probably end up bridging this router with a Linksys or Netgear. I may not even have to bridge the Actiontec because my installer ran Ethernet and MoCA Coax inside the house off the ONT. It's my understanding that bridging is only necessary if you have Coax only.

Quote:
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM
duh...duh....duh

Where does the Ethernet currently run to? The router?

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
Where does the Ethernet currently run to? The router?
Yes, I have both Ethernet and Coax plugged into the Actiontec. Thetech installed a wall plate that has Ethernet and Coax plug. Ethernet is plugged into the router along with a Coax cable for Menu/VOD services. However, I don't even need the Coax hooked up anymore because I canceled my FIOS TV and switched to Dish. My Coax port on the ONT should be disabled at this point.

Therefore, it's my understanding that since I have Ethernet coming straight off the ONT that I should just be able to release the IP through the router and then plug in a different router and renew/release. I'm skeptical that it's going to be that easy, but that's what I've been reading.

Worse case scenario, I'll just bridge the Actiontec with a Linksys 54g wireless router. I'm almost 100% certain now that my intermittent bandwidth issue is related to the Actiontec firmware. Too many connections causes it to choke and it miraculously starts working at full bandwidth again when you reboot. Sucks that Verizon won't officially acknowledge this problem.

Quote:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Lifer

I had this same problem. Unfortunately, the router is just a pos. I searched for months for a solution and ended up just using a linksys router.

'07 350Z
'90 Firebird Formula
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Therefore, it's my understanding that since I have Ethernet coming straight off the ONT that I should just be able to release the IP through the router and then plug in a different router and renew/release. I'm skeptical that it's going to be that easy, but that's what I've been reading.
Absolutely - that'll work just fine for you. I still have TV and require the COAX connection. Like you did I may cancel the TV service and then I'll be in your boat. Even bridged the AT is a PITA, since any updates and/or power outages cause one of the (basically) VLANs to drop. Guide...etc dies until I bring it back up. Retarded.

Any way, you'll be set if you just release that IP and then swap hardware.

My '03 Sold.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzoro
I had this same problem. Unfortunately, the router is just a pos. I searched for months for a solution and ended up just using a linksys router.
Just out of curiosity. What model Linksys router did you use? And did you bridge it with the Actiontec or hook the Linksys directly up to the Ethernet?

Quote:
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
Are you supposed to get the same speed via wireless as you are when you are hardwired?
Cool, thanks. Glad I asked.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 10:58 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
It depends.

If running 802.11a, the theoretical max speed is 11Mbps. Which with FIOS you can have 20 meg down (or more) in that case now. With G the theoretical limit is 54Mbps, which would exceed most Internet circuits if a decent signal exists.

That's from an Internet connectivity point of view.

LAN traffic wired will always trump wireless.

My '03 Sold.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
In theory, no. Wireless should not achieve the same throughput as a wired connection. However, with my laptop, at 100% wireless signal strength it will test almost exactly the same as being connected to the router via Ethernet.

Wireless: I'll test right around 20 Mbps down and 4.5 Mbps up.

Ethernet: It'll test right around 20.5 Mbps down and 4.8 Mbps up.

There is always loss when broadcasting through the air, but it's not that much if you have proper placement, good router, and a good wireless network card.

It cracks me up when people complain about signal quality and connection issues when they put there wireless routers on the ground underneath their computer. It's just a fancy radio transceiver...put it as high as possible inside your house. My router is 8 ft. off the ground and it blankets most of our floorplan with a good -50 dBm or hotter signal w/booster antenna.

Quote:
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Problem solved.

Bought a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router Ver. 7.2. I threw the Actiontec in the bottom of my parts box where it belongs.

Just released the WAN IP under the Broadband Ethernet connection settings and unplugged it. Plugged in the Linksys, configured the wireless settings, and done.

It is faster and has better range. The Wi-Fi Monitor on all my computers are showing about 10% higher signal strength with the Linksys. No drops outs. And it solved the problem of choking down the bandwidth after a few hours requiring constant reboots.

The Linksys has been up for quite some time and it always pulls down 20/5 over the wireless. It doesn't revert to 10/2 after a couple of hours like the Actiontec was doing.

The Verizon FIOS supplied Actiontec MI424 router is a complete piece of junk. And they won't listen to the complaints of their customers either. I got lucky that the tech activated my Ethernet port and ran it into the wall plate along with the Coax. Saved me from being forced to bridge this POS.

Quote:
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 05:07 PM
duh...duh....duh

Yeah, if that actual FUNCTIONALITY of it was there it would be a slick device for a user router. Rather users be given the option of their own CPE or otherwise - regardless if FiOS TV is used. They could then just use the AT for the MOCA side and hook the customers up to their own CPE.

Hell, I'd even pay extra for that.

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement