Mini laptop/Netbook question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Mini laptop/Netbook question

Anybody using one?
After lugging around my 17" XPS around for work
I am looking at a Acer Aspire One 8.9" 8GB SSD, 512k RAM, 3 USBs, 2 SD slots for extra storage. Running Linpus Linux Lite, but I have a copy of XP, so I may dual boot if there is enough space.

For most of the newer systems I am working on I really only need Ethernet or wi-fi to communicate. I'd also rather carry a $350 laptop around rather than my $3000 XPS.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Well, I went down and bought one - The Linux/8GB SSD/512MB RAM unit is $338 and I would have had to order it and wait. This one was in stock for $348 and it has a 120GB HDD/1GB RAM and is running Windows XP. Plus my little sister works at Wally World, so 10% discount.
The reviews I read are all good and for what I bought it for it is perfect - probably gonna get some strange looks from people(I'm 6'3 250lbs and this laptop is tiny).
Here's the comparison(size wise) between the Acer and my XPS.

Sorry, no Dr. Pepper can for reference, the closest thing I have
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:33 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

That Acer is pretty much the same thing as the Dell. Same motherboard and everything.

There is an ISO floating around that lets you install Apple OSX on it. I wouldn't mind having one like that. Heck I wouldn't mind having one just like yours.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Lifer

I had the EEE PC forever and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Acer one next, however I want to get this version of it. It has the 6 cell battery, 160GB HD and XP Pro:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11312482&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|84|78453|78454&N=4033872&Mo=4&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=78454&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=84*78453*78454*&topnav=
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:24 PM
2girls1cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
I had the EEE PC forever and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Acer one next, however I want to get this version of it. It has the 6 cell battery, 160GB HD and XP Pro:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11312482&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|84|78453|78454&N=4033872&Mo=4&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=78454&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=84*78453*78454*&topnav=
That one only comes with XP Home..

Operating System:

* Microsoft Windows XP® Home
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:25 PM
2girls1cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn
Well, I went down and bought one - The Linux/8GB SSD/512MB RAM unit is $338 and I would have had to order it and wait. This one was in stock for $348 and it has a 120GB HDD/1GB RAM and is running Windows XP. Plus my little sister works at Wally World, so 10% discount.
The reviews I read are all good and for what I bought it for it is perfect - probably gonna get some strange looks from people(I'm 6'3 250lbs and this laptop is tiny).
Here's the comparison(size wise) between the Acer and my XPS.

Sorry, no Dr. Pepper can for reference, the closest thing I have

There was only a $10 difference between the 2?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue5spd
There was only a $10 difference between the 2?
The linux box was $338 here and up until 2 days ago it was in Circuit City's system for $299, today it was out of their system(I had our local manager searching other stores to see if they still had any left).

I really wanted the Linux with the SSD(flash) hard drive because it is going to be a service laptop. The 8GB SSD Drive seems small but it is more than what as normally will use it to access the networking equipment I work with. Also, the unique thing with these is there is a second SD slot that is strictly for expansion of the main drive, so if you want to add whatever size SD it is all seen by the PC as the C Drive. The other plus to the SSD is that it is more efficient with the battery life.

Linux would have been fun to play with, but not necessary.

The XP one I bought is here and it was only $348. I paid $339 out the door after using my sisters employee discount.

Boot time -35 seconds to the login page
1minute to be fully into XP and able to start opening programs
The Linux box smoked the XP in that area - 17 seconds from pushing power and you are up and running!!

The biggest thing from this small laptop is that I can leave the monster(XPS) at home and not worry as much about somebody stealing this. I don't plan on keeping any personal data on it, just some music/movies for trips. Any work data I need I carry on a thumb drive already.

I NEVER thought I would buy a computer at wal-mart. Since I was little my dad had me putting together computers and teaching me how they operate, the mindset use to be "you can build it cheaper and just to your liking". My how times have changed!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:18 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue5spd
That one only comes with XP Home..

Operating System:

* Microsoft Windows XP® Home

It's supposed to be professional, based on my talks with Acer.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:19 AM
Lifer

If you wanted to get the Linux with the SSD, why not get the EEE PC? I've had one for awhile now and it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn
The linux box was $338 here and up until 2 days ago it was in Circuit City's system for $299, today it was out of their system(I had our local manager searching other stores to see if they still had any left).

I really wanted the Linux with the SSD(flash) hard drive because it is going to be a service laptop. The 8GB SSD Drive seems small but it is more than what as normally will use it to access the networking equipment I work with. Also, the unique thing with these is there is a second SD slot that is strictly for expansion of the main drive, so if you want to add whatever size SD it is all seen by the PC as the C Drive. The other plus to the SSD is that it is more efficient with the battery life.

Linux would have been fun to play with, but not necessary.

The XP one I bought is here and it was only $348. I paid $339 out the door after using my sisters employee discount.

Boot time -35 seconds to the login page
1minute to be fully into XP and able to start opening programs
The Linux box smoked the XP in that area - 17 seconds from pushing power and you are up and running!!

The biggest thing from this small laptop is that I can leave the monster(XPS) at home and not worry as much about somebody stealing this. I don't plan on keeping any personal data on it, just some music/movies for trips. Any work data I need I carry on a thumb drive already.

I NEVER thought I would buy a computer at wal-mart. Since I was little my dad had me putting together computers and teaching me how they operate, the mindset use to be "you can build it cheaper and just to your liking". My how times have changed!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:29 AM
DERP DERP DERP

I kinda want one now, heh

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Quote:
If you wanted to get the Linux with the SSD, why not get the EEE PC? I've had one for awhile now and it works great.
Reviews I saw showed the Aspire and the EEE to be pretty similar. A lot of folks seemed to like the keyboard more on the Acer and the trackpad more on the EEE. Linux was just gonna be something to play with(I may Dual boot it if I feel froggy). The SSD would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Plus it was sort of an impulse buy, cash in hand / no-waiting.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 08:45 AM
Lifer

Thats pretty damn cool. I was looking at mini's recently for the sole purpose of keeping in my Datsun for tuning and such.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

ASUS announced that they expect to offer a $200 Eee PC next year.

http://gizmodo.com/5072098/ooohhhh-2...-pcs-next-year
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Lifer

Fuck the laptop. I love me some shinner black. When do they pull it off the shelves I just finished my last one last night.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Lifer

www.woot.com has what you were looking for..
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Quote:
www.woot.com has what you were looking for..

2 days too late

It's all good though, I like what I got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement