Call Of Duty: World at War - My Take - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
UFO Club Member

Call Of Duty: World at War - My Take

So I got the Beta COD5 Multiplayer e-mail last night for reserving the game at Gamestop. After the download (880mb) I sat down having no idea what exactly to expect.

My Review thus far:

It's different.....I play COD4 nearly everyday, consider myself one of the top 200k and climbing players in the world, and "It's different" is the best sum of what I felt.

GameTypes:
There is Domination, renamed as "WAR" with the difference there is only one flag up for grabs at a time. Think Shipment mayhem but still I liked it. The rest of the gametypes are the same, capture the flag (aka Sabotage), Team Deathmatch, Hardcore, Search and Destroy

Maps:
There is 3 maps to play, one circle stadium cluster fuck that I didnt like cause there is a freaking tank either team can get in and it gets completely one sided after that. There is a night map and I caught myself 3 times trying to turn on my Night Vision goggles i dont have since its WW2 So that was an adjustment being use to having that no available in night maps.

Guns:
Havent really gotten into the guns yet. I mean I have used them, but I can't really get a feel for them yet. Sniper seems harder to shoot, iron sights is tough, being a ninja in this game appears to be not as easy thus far.

Perks:
So far all the same, but u also have a vehicle perk if u get in a vehicle, Ive only seen a tank in the Beta so doesnt appear to be a useful perk until real launch.

MY 3 WTF's of the GAME THUS FAR:
1.Call In The Dogs:
This is my WTF of the game mostly. 3 kill streak gets UAV (a recon plane flys overhead) 5 kill streak is airstike (which sounds annoying when it drops) and 7 kill streak is a bunch of dogs come into map and chase players and bite/kill them. They are easy to kill as opposing team and rather annoying. I miss the chopper

2. Feel of game:
Again its different, I don't like the way peoples names show/score shows/kills show, I definelty dont like the layout of the screen when you are choosing perks/classes setup.

3. Sounds:
Though the sounds are more WW2ish the voice over is annoying as FUCK!! Keifer Sutherland voices the American commands and he sounds like Jack Baur yelling at you constantly "The enemy is taking our flag"!! I want to punch his face and tell him STFU Jack Bauer!!

Anyways, sorry long rewview/rant, wanted to give you guys idea of the game, I still overall will play it and will hope the actual game is a better.

Hit me up on XBOX Live if your on beta or COD4 - LiLNewc

"I Approve This Message"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 12:04 AM
PVC Racing

yea I have been playing it alittle. I just have played COD4 so much and like it I really didn;t want it to changed. I figured just add more maps, alittle better graphics, more perks and maybe a few other things and call it COD5 But I knew that was going to happen.

Same thing happen with Halo2 vs Halo3

oh i sent u a friends invite

"Less talkie talkie more ping pong"
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Time Served

played it and loved it. dorked out for about 5 hours on it only playing the 3 demo levels. sticky bombs, moltov cocktails and mustard gas are cool. artillery strikes and pack of dogs is cool to take place of air strike and helicopter. i see you can get a flame thrower to. 2 player tank is awesome as well. my friends got upto level 24 thus far. must buy in my opinion.

1994 Cobra
1996 Accord
2005 Suzuki Quadsport Z-400
2003 Arctic Cat ZL-600 SS EFI Its a snowmobile!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Eagles>Cowboys

I am still under the firm stance that they will never be able to beat COD2. That was the best..........

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Lifer

Nice summary. Did you like the people span killing and the people finding the clitches to get under the maps? I enjoyed that very much.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:19 PM
PVC Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1999
Nice summary. Did you like the people span killing and the people finding the clitches to get under the maps? I enjoyed that very much.

span killing will always be there on just about every game. And I think it was only one map that they could get under. But I'm sure they will fix that before selling the game. Heck we had a buddy go down there and just sit and wait. He would put a bouncing betty right where they fall. He got them everytime. Even got 2 people with one betty that was trying to get down there.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

nice review, ive bought my copy already, just waiting for it to get here...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Lifer

In my opinion it is gonna be hard as hell to follow up COD4 with this game.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 03:45 PM
老师

wtf is span killing?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiladin
wtf is span killing?
Spawn killing I think.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Retired Gun

COD4 was awesome.....The new beta release is growing on me.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 PM
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0x3.48
Spawn killing I think.
thats what i thought, but im not versed in the ways of cod. i was pretty good at 4 the few times i plkayed it, but this beta is kinda hard for me
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Lifer

I have started to notice that the knifing has gone to shit, and if you wear headphones you can notice that the sound isn't near as good as far as perspective goes.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
UFO Club Member

I just mother fucking went Ring Of Death!!!

WTF!!!

AND I have COD: 5 reserved for the 11th and took the day off from work.

I am sooooo pissed. G23$#@%#@%#$%#$%#$%#$

"I Approve This Message"
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Banned

If you ship your shit right now, you should be able to get a new box by that time. Or pretty close.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
UFO Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
If you ship your shit right now, you should be able to get a new box by that time. Or pretty close.
Yeah I just got back from dropping it off at the UPS Store.

All I can do is wait.......

"I Approve This Message"
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:40 AM
Lifer

well, i picked up the new call of duty. i got home and was so excited to play it. i played it for a little while and realized i like cod4 more. this new one i guess is made by a different company and it just looks to much like a cartoon to me. its not as realistic as cod4. plus i really dont like the tanks.

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 02:55 AM

my review is that cod4 is better, but i do like cod5 too and im sure i will like it just as much soon... the tank sucks, but the dogs are fucking badass...

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Lifer

Got the game yesterday, the game is pretty fun. I like the fact you can do a online private coop campaign and also a zombie match. The only grip I have is the guns sounds weak as shit, no boom to them and the bazookas sounds like its shooting out water and you can't see any trails from the missile you just shot out. I do like the exploding body parts when you blow a player up or shotgun there legs off. All in all not a bad game

Red and White 98R1...Look now cause in a second I'm gonna pass you

You can pass me now, sold the bike =(
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Time Served

I got it the 10th and I have already beat it. I played the co-op campaign mode and wasn't that impressed. I thought it kinda sucked and the only way you get XP points was off of challenges. I think the campaign mode was pretty bad ass but didn't take hardly anytime to beat. It should have been longer. At least as long as Gears of War. I enjoy the multiplayer in spite of the WWII settings and guns. I think compared to COD4 the graphics are weak, the sound effects are downright lame, and when people run? WTF. They look like a blind person with down syndrome trying to run. I am already ranked 30 I believe with just a few hours in the game. All in all I will continue to play it purely on the fact that after playing COD4 for a year I am a bit burned out on the levels and guns. But I do still play it. All and all 7 of 10.

D

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Big "foot"

I am totally torn on this one.

On one hand, I love WWII stuff. The era interests the hell out of me.

That said, I'm so spoiled by COD4. The weapons mostly. I think it'll be hard to go back in time to a Thompson or M1 or whatever.

I think I'm just going to play COD4 for the next year, lol. There'll probably always be people online to play with on that one.

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Lifer

i think i'll like it much more when i am finally able to play hardcore.

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 03:59 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE
I am totally torn on this one.

On one hand, I love WWII stuff. The era interests the hell out of me.

That said, I'm so spoiled by COD4. The weapons mostly. I think it'll be hard to go back in time to a Thompson or M1 or whatever.

I think I'm just going to play COD4 for the next year, lol. There'll probably always be people online to play with on that one.
I love WWII stuff, but i'm tired of WW2 shooter games. They're really reached the limits of what they can do with it.

I think they need to reach a happy medium somewhere with current and futuristic ideas.

BF: 2142 comes to mind.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 PM
PVC Racing

my review is, hmmmm it kicks ass. I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my review is that cod4 is better, but i do like cod5 too and im sure i will like it just as much soon... the tank sucks, but the dogs are fucking badass...

hell yea the dogs fucken rape when playing hardcore. We was playing the other night and the other team just started quitting out. So there was only 1 person left on the other team for alittle bit and we called in the dogs. Now that shit was funny that guys didn't know what hit him when 4-5 dogs attacked him

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 11:47 AM

once you hit level 35 i think, you get a much better gun, now i love the game...

that thompson just wasnt cutting it...

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Lifer

I just got my Zombie mode and that shit is pretty fun to play with friends online

Red and White 98R1...Look now cause in a second I'm gonna pass you

You can pass me now, sold the bike =(
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticX
I just got my Zombie mode and that shit is pretty fun to play with friends online
That Nazi Zombie shit is badass. Very challenging and take a shit load of communication and team work, my best is level 21....

D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement