Updated mah puter. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Thumbs up Updated mah puter.

I had an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.21ghz. w/ 2x512meg L2 cache, 3 gigs DDR2 4200 memory and a 250gig-8meg cache drive and it ran fine but was on the verge of worthless when doing video encoding/converting. I now have an Athlon 64 X2 5600 2.93ghz. w/ 2x1meg L2 cache, 2gigs DDR2 6400 memory and a 500 gig-16meg cache drive and it's a completely different machine.

My wife hasn't used it much since the hardware upgrade was using it this AM to do something in Word '03 and said, "Dang, the computer is FAST, I can't keep up with it!".

SCORE!!!!!

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Nice, nothing like a solid upgrade to wake up a PC. Im almost done with my qx9650 crossfire setup, and my wife is getting my e8400 with sli 8800's. She has been using it lately and is way impressed. She is currently using a has a 2.4g P4 with a 6800gs, and since i told her she can have my sli rig, she doesn't hardly use hers.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Sounds like you got some money tied up in those things. I got a sweet deal on my upgrades. To have the hardware replaced, drive imaged, old drive swapped out w/ the drive that was in my external and the old external put in the pc, it was right at $200. My buddy in Sachse has a shop and did the work as well as bought the old proc($25) and memory($15 ea. stick). Can't beat that.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:54 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0x3.48
Nice, nothing like a solid upgrade to wake up a PC. Im almost done with my qx9650 crossfire setup, and my wife is getting my e8400 with sli 8800's. She has been using it lately and is way impressed. She is currently using a has a 2.4g P4 with a 6800gs, and since i told her she can have my sli rig, she doesn't hardly use hers.
good luck with your 8400, those fuckers clock like mad.
4ghz, with a slight bump in voltage

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
Sounds like you got some money tied up in those things. I got a sweet deal on my upgrades. To have the hardware replaced, drive imaged, old drive swapped out w/ the drive that was in my external and the old external put in the pc, it was right at $200. My buddy in Sachse has a shop and did the work as well as bought the old proc($25) and memory($15 ea. stick). Can't beat that.
Well, not as much as it sounds. My sli rig, I gathered parts for about 6 months as I found good deals on stuff. The most expensive parts were the gpu's. The new one, I'm still gathering the last few parts for, but I was lucky enough to win the cpu and one Asus 4870 in a cod4 tourny. Thats the only reason I'm building such a nice one. I look around for the lowest prices/ best rebates for what seems like forever before I buy anything. You got a sweet deal on your upgrades! Makes it that much sweeter.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
good luck with your 8400, those fuckers clock like mad.
4ghz, with a slight bump in voltage
Yea the 8400 is a beast. I'm running it at 3.8g, and it never gets over 35 degrees. I've been very impressed with it. I would have just put the qx9650 in my sli pc, but it is the evga 680i board, and it wont support the 45nm quads. So a new build around it and the crossfire setup it is!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

What GPU's are you getting for the new one? 4850,4870 or 4870X2?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 01:37 PM
fuckcanada

Hopefully X2's to do that cpu some justice!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
What GPU's are you getting for the new one? 4850,4870 or 4870X2?
I'd like to get a couple 4870x2's, but thats a chunk of $$$. I am leaning toward's getting one x2, selling the 4870 that I have, then getting the 2nd x2. Quad crossfire would sure be cool. I already have the psu, a PCPnC 1000w, so adding the 2nd x2 would be a snap. I was already planning to build another PC, to replace my wife's crappy single core Dell, but when the free QX came along, I kinda changed my goals for this build. A buddy and I have a longstanding "friendly" competition for the highest 3dmark score, and after I built my sli rig and scored over 17,000 he went and upgraded hiis way to a 19,000. So a quad core with a quad crossfire ought to raise the bar for him for a while.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0x3.48
I'd like to get a couple 4870x2's, but thats a chunk of $$$. I am leaning toward's getting one x2, selling the 4870 that I have, then getting the 2nd x2. Quad crossfire would sure be cool. I already have the psu, a PCPnC 1000w, so adding the 2nd x2 would be a snap. I was already planning to build another PC, to replace my wife's crappy single core Dell, but when the free QX came along, I kinda changed my goals for this build. A buddy and I have a longstanding "friendly" competition for the highest 3dmark score, and after I built my sli rig and scored over 17,000 he went and upgraded hiis way to a 19,000. So a quad core with a quad crossfire ought to raise the bar for him for a while.
Speaking of 3dmark, have you noticed that ALL the top scorers in the Futuremark ORB are using an ATI of sorts? There's one Nvidia and it's in the #8 spot.
http://service.futuremark.com/search...ingsystem=-100

Last edited by Tx Redneck; 10-18-2008 at 02:07 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I think ATI/AMD May have figured something out when it comes to graphics. I've built a few Nvidia sli PCs, but since the new 4xxx series ATI chip came out, I'm gonna try that. I've always though Nvidia cards were pretty solid, but I think they are gonna have to do something pretty big to catch up with the ATI card. Did you also notice that the top 3DMark score was with a C2D and not the big $$$ quad?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement