What do I need to learn??? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Censored

What do I need to learn???

What do I need to learn to create a website that lets people login, set up appointments, and the site automatically round robins it to a tech in there area (maybe send a fax as well). Then the tech can confirm the appointment and tell the customer everything is ready to go. The database would need to hold at least 5000 techs and 10000 customers.

Doesn't need to be fancy looking, just easy to use, make appointments, and easy to upload a Access database to the new one.

Doors Done Rite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:26 PM
El Camino

hire a web developer. I don't think reading teach yourself html in 21 days is gonna cover that

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Time Served

Ask Jared. I hear he has mad skillz.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
hire a web developer. I don't think reading teach yourself html in 21 days is gonna cover that
I know a little, and time isnt a concern. I am a certified Webmaster apprentice. (4 years ago, lol).

Doors Done Rite
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

pm AbecX.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Censored

PM sent

Doors Done Rite
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_tiger
What do I need to learn to create a website that lets people login, set up appointments, and the site automatically round robins it to a tech in there area (maybe send a fax as well). Then the tech can confirm the appointment and tell the customer everything is ready to go. The database would need to hold at least 5000 techs and 10000 customers.

Doesn't need to be fancy looking, just easy to use, make appointments, and easy to upload a Access database to the new one.
PM usmcluke as well.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Censored

^done

Doors Done Rite
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Censored

Still waiting on PMs back, anyone else?

Doors Done Rite
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

pm hunt4m3x. i heard he is good at that shit.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_tiger

This isn't by any means "hard" for someone with experience but for a beginner to build something on this level will be a challenge. I will give you a few pointers based on what I have read.

1. Forget Access. You need a true database to handle the amount of data you are talking about. MySql or SQL....pick your poison.

2. There aren't really any out of the box web-apps that are going to accomplish this for you. You have two options for a jumping off point:
A. A CMS such as DotNetNuke (DNN), Mambo, Drupal, etc. (Google Content management system).
B. A free trouble ticket system such as OTRS, trouble ticket express, etc. Getting all your customer data and tech data in there is going to time consuming unless you already have a database with that info and you are good with SQL commands.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcluke
This isn't by any means "hard" for someone with experience but for a beginner to build something on this level will be a challenge. I will give you a few pointers based on what I have read.

1. Forget Access. You need a true database to handle the amount of data you are talking about. MySql or SQL....pick your poison.

2. There aren't really any out of the box web-apps that are going to accomplish this for you. You have two options for a jumping off point:
A. A CMS such as DotNetNuke (DNN), Mambo, Drupal, etc. (Google Content management system).
B. A free trouble ticket system such as OTRS, trouble ticket express, etc. Getting all your customer data and tech data in there is going to time consuming unless you already have a database with that info and you are good with SQL commands.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
1. I was going to convert the Access database to Mysql. I was just saying hopefully it is an easy convert.
2. I really see where you are going with the OTRS. It is a bitch to install anything on my computer at home (Ubuntu 8.10), so I need to find something different. Completely different story though.
With the look of OTRS, I don't need to change much to make it match what I want to do with it. I just need learn how to change it.

Doors Done Rite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement