Laptop to play games... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Laptop to play games...

I'm about to purchase this laptop and was wondering if it would perform well with newer games.

2.0GHz AMD Turion X2 dual-core mobile processor RM-70 with HyperTransport 3 technology
AMD M780V chipset
3072MB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM
200GB SATA hard drive
ATI Radeon 3100 graphics with 256MB-1406MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

no.

any video card that shares memory is a piece of shit. esp the intel ones.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:44 PM
fuckcanada

What hunt said...

What's your budget?
Model: P-7811FX | SKU: 8892825
I sold my XPS 1710, and got the Gateway I linked. Its a beast of a laptop and plays every game out now

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Really not interested in spending more then $850 for a laptop, especially since the primary use is NOT going to be for gaming. I know the said model is plenty of laptop to do everything else I need it to, just was curious how well it'd keep up with new games.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

just wait for a slickdeal. slickdeals.net

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
just wait for a slickdeal. slickdeals.net
Unfortunately time isn't something that I have on myside. Need a laptop for the new position im starting next week .

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Banned

I have a Gateway M-6862 that's got a 2.0 GHz C2D with 4 gigs of RAM and an ATi Mobility Radeon HD 2600 that's got 512 dedicated that I picked up at BestBuy on sale for $550. I can't find it on their website so I guess they stopped carrying it. I haven't tried any hardcore games, but it does just fine IMO.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy
I have a Gateway M-6862 that's got a 2.0 GHz C2D with 4 gigs of RAM and an ATi Mobility Radeon HD 2600 that's got 512 dedicated that I picked up at BestBuy on sale for $550. I can't find it on their website so I guess they stopped carrying it. I haven't tried any hardcore games, but it does just fine IMO.
See I was thinking that even though this laptop I'm looking at will come with shared graphics memory, it's still 256MB-1406MB of it, and along with 3gig of RAM I'd think it'd run pretty decent.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned

Shared memory blows donkey dick. Intel based graphics card blows a massive donkey dick. Go to your local BB and see if you can find one of these, a buddy of mine just picked up an ASUS laptop with similar specs and spent like 1200.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Shared memory blows donkey dick. Intel based graphics card blows a massive donkey dick. Go to your local BB and see if you can find one of these, a buddy of mine just picked up an ASUS laptop with similar specs and spent like 1200.

Its not the intel chip doing it, its Vista. All versions of Vista do that shit to improove the looks of the Aero interface if the video card in the system needs a little boost. The more system ram you have, the more it will cut off for "dynamically shared memory"

Motoman, that laptop will perform fine with newer games fine, just be aware that you may sometimes notice the system being sluggish. Its the OS trying to move ram back to the system and away from the video card so you can open program xxyy. Thats why I got rid of Vista and went back to XP 64-bit and why I kept my server running Win2K03 instead of going to 2008.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 AM
duh...duh....duh

You're a complete fool if you buy a laptop with a graphics card that uses shared memory for gaming.

Frankly, you're a fool or a newb for recommending it as well. I've never seen a laptop without dedicated graphics perform worth a shit. Especially to place "newer games fine." Not to mention that you don't want to "notice the system being sluggish" when playing a game.

Dig up some OLDER games if you want smoking performance on a shared mem laptop.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
As stated before, I have no need to blow $1200 on a laptop especially when it's primary use is NOT going to be for gaming. I'll have some down time when I travel and without wanted to see how well it would perform with some new games. I'm not looking for any superduper specialty laptop with a bajillion HP to play games with settings turned all the way up.

Is the laptop I'm looking at a gaming laptop? NO, not by any means.

Why am I considering that particular laptop? Because I'll be getting it at a killer price.

Would I EVER by a laptop strictly for gaming? NO, I could build a desktop 10x's better for less money.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
As stated before, I have no need to blow $1200 on a laptop especially when it's primary use is NOT going to be for gaming. I'll have some down time when I travel and without wanted to see how well it would perform with some new games. I'm not looking for any superduper specialty laptop with a bajillion HP to play games with settings turned all the way up.

Why am I considering that particular laptop? Because I'll be getting it at a killer price.

Would I EVER by a laptop strictly for gaming? NO, I could build a desktop 10x's better for less money.

Whats the price of that laptop

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

$600

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
$600

Brand?

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Banned

Quote:

Jebus man, read my first post, the Gateway M-6862, exactly like I bought costs $550. A buddy of mine who bought a comparable laptop (has an nVidia card) spent 1200.

Reading comprehension > you

Edit: It won't be on display, you have to check their cage to see if they've got one.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:28 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:

Maybe in the future explain what you really want to do with the laptop.

Quote:
I'm about to purchase this laptop and was wondering if it would perform well with newer games.
Indicates you mainly want it for games, which that laptop won't be very good for modern games - as already covered.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Reading comprehension > you
I read what you said, but the fact that it's not on display more then likely means they no longer carry them. Any they have in stock will just be what hasn't sold, it's not something they'll continue to stock. I don't have the time to be calling every BB in the DFW area trying to hunt one down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
Indicates you mainly want it for games
That's your own assumption

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
I read what you said, but the fact that it's not on display more then likely means they no longer carry them. Any they have in stock will just be what hasn't sold, it's not something they'll continue to stock. I don't have the time to be calling every BB in the DFW area trying to hunt one down.
I'm sorry... I was wrong, that first laptop you posted about will run Crysis maxed out, at 100 FPS too! What does them not carrying it anymore have to do with the price of tea in china? If they've got one, and it's $50 cheaper than that MONSTER of a laptop you posted, the choice pretty much made itself. I guess I can't use the "L" word around you. I gave you an option as well as my opinion, you don't want to take the 15-30m to find out where it's at, have fun with your craptastic new laptop.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Lifer

Yeah Im also gonna have to say pass that offer up, thats a old hunk of junk your about to buy.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:00 PM
$uper $low

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
Thanks for the link bro, I'd really prefer something with a warranty.

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:54 AM
Time Served

Quote:
You're a complete fool if you buy a laptop with a graphics card that uses shared memory for gaming.

Frankly, you're a fool or a newb for recommending it as well. I've never seen a laptop without dedicated graphics perform worth a shit. Especially to place "newer games fine." Not to mention that you don't want to "notice the system being sluggish" when playing a game.

Dig up some OLDER games if you want smoking performance on a shared mem laptop.

Take care,

Its windows vista doing this shit. no way around as to yet. If you buy a new laptop OR a desktop that has ANY version of Vista on it, you will have a video card in it with its own deticated memory, plus shared system memory. most laptops that have vista have usually 256 or 512 of DETICATED memory on board the video controller. but VISTA cuts some system memory and adds it to a virtual pool of memory so that video intensive programs can run a little better at the cost of a slightly slower system response. Most laptops will "run newer games fine" with a chip with 512 deticated and whatever the system chops off. Before you start ranting, know what your talking about. newb? I don't consider myself a "new person" ( yes, I think that's what you were trying to say there ; dictionary) when my cheapest software that I use probably costs as much or close to what you paid for your computer.

Last edited by Red Shadow; 10-10-2008 at 03:02 AM.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:12 AM
duh...duh....duh

lol, I know you did not just pull the money game with me. I'm not even going to go there...

1. I'll stand corrected (to an extent) if the card mentioned by the OP (Not "most laptops") has 256 dedicated, on the graphics card.

2. However, the specs stated above read as if it is all "dynamically allocated" but at the moment I can not find the exact specs.

3. Lets assume you are 100% on the ball, any decent modern game will likely become sluggish when it gets into the "dynamically allocated" portion - which would occur quickly with a lot of modern games. Also, the laptop that the OP is looking at does not have 512 dedicated - hell it does not even state it is 256 dedicated.

Anxiously waiting for more responses on how much more expensive your shit is than mine and grammar corrections. Yawn.

My '03 Sold.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 10:32 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:

That's your own assumption

You sure made it clear what you wanted to do with it then.

Here are some benchmarks, assuming the 3100 listed there is similar to the one included on the laptop that you've bought or are buying...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...ist.844.0.html

http://service.futuremark.com/hardwa...ti_radeon_3100

That thing will whoop up on newer games for sure.

Take care

My '03 Sold.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 06:54 AM
Time Served

Quote:
lol, I know you did not just pull the money game with me. I'm not even going to go there...

1. I'll stand corrected (to an extent) if the card mentioned by the OP (Not "most laptops") has 256 dedicated, on the graphics card.

2. However, the specs stated above read as if it is all "dynamically allocated" but at the moment I can not find the exact specs.

3. Lets assume you are 100% on the ball, any decent modern game will likely become sluggish when it gets into the "dynamically allocated" portion - which would occur quickly with a lot of modern games. Also, the laptop that the OP is looking at does not have 512 dedicated - hell it does not even state it is 256 dedicated.

Anxiously waiting for more responses on how much more expensive your shit is than mine and grammar corrections. Yawn.
1. I'm not trying to "pull the money game". Im just stating that the money invested in my computer ( which is mainly for work, but since its my own i do have games on it) That I am not a new person to computers. Hell. I'll stand corrected. I don't know how much your computer cost. Its just the majority of the time, AutoCAD 2009 (non LT version) cost more than the average computer.

2. you are correct that most laptops that cost close to the 1K line do have a 256 chip, but there is usually an option for a 512, with a higher price tag. My laptop would have been about $1,100 when I bought it, but I wanted more memory and 512 memory deticated video which kicked it up to $1,600. A co-worker got the same laptop I did, except he got the 256mb chip instead. His plays COD4,Crysis pretty good with settings medium/high. although, both of our systems are running Vista ( ) , I'm about to tear it out of mine it pisses me off so much.

3. he might have edited it later, but now it states that it is ATI Radeon 3100 graphics with 256MB-1406MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory. Which sounds like a 1K area laptop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement