EVE Online - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few
 
BottleRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Westchester, the best Chester
Posts: 7,278
EVE Online

Anyone still play? I was in it a couple years back and just got back into it a few months ago. Almost forgot how much better this is than WOW

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819



some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
BottleRocket is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Worship me
 
AL P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 34,345
I played the trial but found the learning curve to be pretty steep. Plus I didn't really see what the point was. It is very open ended of course but as a new player I kind of lacked any sort of direction. To me it was like Wow but without the quests to move you along to see the world.
AL P is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few
 
BottleRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Westchester, the best Chester
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
I played the trial but found the learning curve to be pretty steep. Plus I didn't really see what the point was. It is very open ended of course but as a new player I kind of lacked any sort of direction. To me it was like Wow but without the quests to move you along to see the world.
Its a very steep curve. I think the open ended-ness is what I enjoy most. I just got through with a war over some disputed territory, and now Im gonna move back up into some "safer" space to work on some production and NPC missions.

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819



some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
BottleRocket is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
fuckcanada
 
Roliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: fuckcanada
Posts: 5,325
Hey, since you play Eve and are familiar with it what did you think of Zero Punctuation's review on it?
link here

I've always wanted to play a "space sim," but just haven't looked hard enough it seems.

Roliath is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Which one's the clutch?
 
Craizie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: R1 love.
Posts: 2,313
Its exciting starting off, gets very boring if your by your self. the only thing that sucks, is no matter how hard, or how much you play you will "level" at the same rate as everyone else. it takes (literally) months, and YEARS to be able to fly some of larger ships correctly.

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
Craizie is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Lifer
 
dudeitstaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Drifting around North America
Posts: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie
Its exciting starting off, gets very boring if your by your self. the only thing that sucks, is no matter how hard, or how much you play you will "level" at the same rate as everyone else. it takes (literally) months, and YEARS to be able to fly some of larger ships correctly.
That sounds terrible..
dudeitstaylor is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
600 plus a few
 
BottleRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Westchester, the best Chester
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie
Its exciting starting off, gets very boring if your by your self. the only thing that sucks, is no matter how hard, or how much you play you will "level" at the same rate as everyone else. it takes (literally) months, and YEARS to be able to fly some of larger ships correctly.
Not true. Battleships are do-able in just over a month. Sure you'll get destroyed by a player who has been around for years, but thats true to most any RPG

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819



some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
BottleRocket is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 PM
fuckcanada
 
Roliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: fuckcanada
Posts: 5,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
Not true. Battleships are do-able in just over a month. Sure you'll get destroyed by a player who has been around for years, but thats true to most any RPG
so is there a monthly fee for this?

whats a corp, a guild?

Roliath is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Lifer
 
1994SilverGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 1,975
the game isnt bad, but as it has been said, it takes awhile to be able to have "fun" in the game. I have two or three buddies that play, i tried it out for free with the buddy sign up, and i think they said it would be close to two or three months before id actually be ready to think about flying around the parts they hang out in. Then i got bored and quit

95' Red Mustang GT.

Slow.
1994SilverGT is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:21 AM
fuckcanada
 
Roliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: fuckcanada
Posts: 5,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994SilverGT
the game isnt bad, but as it has been said, it takes awhile to be able to have "fun" in the game. I have two or three buddies that play, i tried it out for free with the buddy sign up, and i think they said it would be close to two or three months before id actually be ready to think about flying around the parts they hang out in. Then i got bored and quit
damn, that's some commitment.

but than again, so was wow.

grinding to 70, gearing up enough just to be helpful in raids. than gearing in raids..

no different than any mmo i guess.

Roliath is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few
 
BottleRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Westchester, the best Chester
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
damn, that's some commitment.

but than again, so was wow.

grinding to 70, gearing up enough just to be helpful in raids. than gearing in raids..

no different than any mmo i guess.
its quite different actually. no grinding which is nice

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819



some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
BottleRocket is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few
 
BottleRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Westchester, the best Chester
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
so is there a monthly fee for this?

whats a corp, a guild?
Corp = guild
Alliance = lots of guilds together (actually player owned, not like WOW)

yes there is a monthy fee

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819



some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
BottleRocket is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Which one's the clutch?
 
Craizie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: R1 love.
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
Not true. Battleships are do-able in just over a month. Sure you'll get destroyed by a player who has been around for years, but thats true to most any RPG

Battle ships are crap. you could train the skills to fly a battle ship in a month, but your weapons, hull/armor/sheild/targeting would suck balls.

I would say the best thing if you really want to start, is try and find a char with all his learning skills. I've seen them on Ebay for $50ish before. It will make all the other skills train faster, and if you do it your self your looking at a solid 1-2months of just training your learning skills.

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
Craizie is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few
 
BottleRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Westchester, the best Chester
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie
Battle ships are crap. you could train the skills to fly a battle ship in a month, but your weapons, hull/armor/sheild/targeting would suck balls.

I would say the best thing if you really want to start, is try and find a char with all his learning skills. I've seen them on Ebay for $50ish before. It will make all the other skills train faster, and if you do it your self your looking at a solid 1-2months of just training your learning skills.
They really arent crap. Dont expect to go solo in 0.0 space in 3 months and survive in a 1v1. But going on fleet ops or ratting you'll do just fine

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819



some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
BottleRocket is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lubbock
Posts: 660
I did the 2 week free trial thing. Holy learning curve batman! But it seems like a really interesting thing that they have going on with it. I like the open-endedness. I plan on reactivating the account here in another month or so when I have more time.


2004 GT - SOLD
03/04 Cobra...here I come
My Youtube videos
drwprtcht is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome