EVE Online - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

EVE Online

Anyone still play? I was in it a couple years back and just got back into it a few months ago. Almost forgot how much better this is than WOW

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Worship me

I played the trial but found the learning curve to be pretty steep. Plus I didn't really see what the point was. It is very open ended of course but as a new player I kind of lacked any sort of direction. To me it was like Wow but without the quests to move you along to see the world.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
I played the trial but found the learning curve to be pretty steep. Plus I didn't really see what the point was. It is very open ended of course but as a new player I kind of lacked any sort of direction. To me it was like Wow but without the quests to move you along to see the world.
Its a very steep curve. I think the open ended-ness is what I enjoy most. I just got through with a war over some disputed territory, and now Im gonna move back up into some "safer" space to work on some production and NPC missions.

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
fuckcanada

Hey, since you play Eve and are familiar with it what did you think of Zero Punctuation's review on it?
link here

I've always wanted to play a "space sim," but just haven't looked hard enough it seems.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Which one's the clutch?

Its exciting starting off, gets very boring if your by your self. the only thing that sucks, is no matter how hard, or how much you play you will "level" at the same rate as everyone else. it takes (literally) months, and YEARS to be able to fly some of larger ships correctly.

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie
Its exciting starting off, gets very boring if your by your self. the only thing that sucks, is no matter how hard, or how much you play you will "level" at the same rate as everyone else. it takes (literally) months, and YEARS to be able to fly some of larger ships correctly.
That sounds terrible..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Quote:
Not true. Battleships are do-able in just over a month. Sure you'll get destroyed by a player who has been around for years, but thats true to most any RPG

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
Not true. Battleships are do-able in just over a month. Sure you'll get destroyed by a player who has been around for years, but thats true to most any RPG
so is there a monthly fee for this?

whats a corp, a guild?

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Lifer

the game isnt bad, but as it has been said, it takes awhile to be able to have "fun" in the game. I have two or three buddies that play, i tried it out for free with the buddy sign up, and i think they said it would be close to two or three months before id actually be ready to think about flying around the parts they hang out in. Then i got bored and quit

95' Red Mustang GT.

Slow.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:21 AM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994SilverGT
the game isnt bad, but as it has been said, it takes awhile to be able to have "fun" in the game. I have two or three buddies that play, i tried it out for free with the buddy sign up, and i think they said it would be close to two or three months before id actually be ready to think about flying around the parts they hang out in. Then i got bored and quit
damn, that's some commitment.

but than again, so was wow.

grinding to 70, gearing up enough just to be helpful in raids. than gearing in raids..

no different than any mmo i guess.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
damn, that's some commitment.

but than again, so was wow.

grinding to 70, gearing up enough just to be helpful in raids. than gearing in raids..

no different than any mmo i guess.
its quite different actually. no grinding which is nice

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
so is there a monthly fee for this?

whats a corp, a guild?
Corp = guild
Alliance = lots of guilds together (actually player owned, not like WOW)

yes there is a monthy fee

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Which one's the clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket

Battle ships are crap. you could train the skills to fly a battle ship in a month, but your weapons, hull/armor/sheild/targeting would suck balls.

I would say the best thing if you really want to start, is try and find a char with all his learning skills. I've seen them on Ebay for $50ish before. It will make all the other skills train faster, and if you do it your self your looking at a solid 1-2months of just training your learning skills.

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Quote:
Battle ships are crap. you could train the skills to fly a battle ship in a month, but your weapons, hull/armor/sheild/targeting would suck balls.

I would say the best thing if you really want to start, is try and find a char with all his learning skills. I've seen them on Ebay for $50ish before. It will make all the other skills train faster, and if you do it your self your looking at a solid 1-2months of just training your learning skills.
They really arent crap. Dont expect to go solo in 0.0 space in 3 months and survive in a 1v1. But going on fleet ops or ratting you'll do just fine

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Time Served

I did the 2 week free trial thing. Holy learning curve batman! But it seems like a really interesting thing that they have going on with it. I like the open-endedness. I plan on reactivating the account here in another month or so when I have more time.

2004 GT - SOLD
03/04 Cobra...here I come
My Youtube videos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement