Has anyone used a cell phone repeaters - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Has anyone used a cell phone repeater

My contract with Sprint is coming to an end next month and I'm planning to dump them because I've had too many problems with their customer service. Verizon is one carrier I'm considering but ATT is another.

The problem with ATT is that I have a hard time getting a signal in my house. TorchRedStang is my next door neighbor and he has absolutely no problems getting a signal. I had the same problems with a TMobile phone that I tried out last year, so the issue appears to be GSM. I had absolutely no problems with getting a signal from Sprint's network.

So I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried out a cell phone signal repeater? Do you know if they are any good? I know I would need to put an antenna on the outside of the house but I'm ok with that. Anyone know where to get a good deal on one?

Thx

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook

Last edited by Sgt Beavis; 08-11-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Licking the windows!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Lifer

I've never tried one before, but I have T-Mobile and I'll be damned if I can get a signal at work. A guy I work with has a sprint phone and he gets full bars and has no problems. Meanwhile when I leave work, I get flooded with voicemails and text messages that didn't go through due to not getting service.

I never thought about it, but maybe it DOES have something to do with GSM.

Regarding Slo3gt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Junk View Post
Whining about someone disclosing their salary on a message forum usually leads to said whiner being a broke dick. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Lifer

I have AT&T and almost always get a better signal than anyone else, especially indoors and even in elevators. I believe a lot has to do with the quality of phone also
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 AM
[x] original checkboxer

Exclamation

We have one here at the house, but it's in the attic and I'm unsure of the brand/model. My house is in a dead zone, but to be honest the repeater doesn't seem to help very much. I have AT&T and my roommates have Sprint. My reception on my basic camera phone still seems a lot better than their nicer Sprint phones, but it's been like the before and after the repeater. I'll go 2-3 weeks and never have a problem, then one day walk outside, or power my phone on and off, and suddenly 3-4 texts and a voicemail pops-up?! Sometimes it seems that when it's cloudy is when the reception is the worst, but I honestly don't know how the signal is affected by the weather.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco71
I have AT&T and almost always get a better signal than anyone else, especially indoors and even in elevators. I believe a lot has to do with the quality of phone also
That is absolutely correct. The device has everything in the world to due w/ Q.O.S.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
That is absolutely correct. The device has everything in the world to due w/ Q.O.S.
Yea, that is something to consider too. I tried ATT once and had a Palm Treo but ended up taking it back within a week because it was unusable.

Of course I'm thinking of an iPhone 3G when I mention ATT. However I've heard that some people are getting really lousy reception.

Another question is whether I would get better reception on the 3G network or the GSM network and does a repeater work on both of those...

I need to drag Matt over here and see what kind of reception he gets on his ATT phone.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Thumbs up

My experience w/ the 3G network was not good but that could have been the phone. Right now I'm using the Sony Ericsson W580i and absolutely LOVE it. If your a heavy text/IM'er I wouldn't recommend this phone as it has a rep. for the keypad buttons cracking under heavy use. Aside from that it's absolutely awesome.

Edit: it's a GSM(Edge) network phone FWIW.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Lifer

I use an older cingular (AT&T) 8525. It uses 3G most of the time and defaults to Edge when 3G is not available. I drive to either Lufkin, Belton, Longview, Sulphur Springs or sometimes Wichita Falls daily and rarely lose a signal. Internet works great too, has touch screen and also a slide out keyboard.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Time Served

I have an AT&T iphone 3g. I get about 2 bar inside my house on the south side of plano. I get about the same in my office in north dallas. Anytime I'm outside i get a full signal. I also get a full signal at my mom's house which is about 5 miles north of me, so it may just be my house or I'm in a bad spot.

I've heard since AT&T uses higher frequencies for their 3G network that it actually has trouble with indoor reception because of this. Of course, it will just fall back to using EDGE if I can't get a 3G signal.

If you really want an iphone and you don't have 3g in your area you could always just buy an older 1st generation iphone from craigslist and not be stuck in a long contract. you would just sign up for month to month service. if you don't like it you can just cancel your service and sell the phone on craigslist for pretty much the same price you paid.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:03 PM
duh...duh....duh

The repeaters work as advertised, at least the ones I've used from Compusa. We've done some testing with them and never had any real issues - assuming the ant gets a good signal.

My '03 Sold.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

I would stick with Sprint ATM. Verizon's network is a bit better cause they have more towers, but its not true bad ass digital. Sprint towers are all fiber. They are SLOWLY improving their CS, but I would stick it for the new HTC Diamond. It is going to rape all.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 PM
KJ94GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
I would stick with Sprint ATM. Verizon's network is a bit better cause they have more towers, but its not true bad ass digital. Sprint towers are all fiber. They are SLOWLY improving their CS, but I would stick it for the new HTC Diamond. It is going to rape all.
Sprint towers are all fiber? lol Who told you that?

The new stuff coming online soon (WiMax) is different. Most of the sites have a fiber backhaul, but some are still traditional T1s. It's going to be some crazy stuff with huge speed.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
Diamond is nice, but the Raphael looks to be the shit... Full Keyboard FTW!

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement