Police Raid Massive Pirating Operation in Ft Worth - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Exclamation Police Raid Massive Pirating Operation in Ft Worth

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/16843902/detail.html

FORT WORTH, Texas -- One hundred thirteen burners capable of copying one disc per minute were confiscated in the largest such pirating operation police have found in the Fort Worth area, officials said.

Narcotics officers who initially went to a south Fort Worth house expecting to find drugs Tuesday afternoon ended up spending hours lugging out boxes of equipment used for the unauthorized copying of CDs and DVDs.

Officers seized about 3,800 blank CDs and 7,000 blank DVDs, a pistol and about $5,000 in cash, said police Lt. Robert Rangel of the narcotics division.

Police arrested Isaac Charles Houston, 36; Orlando Roscoe Houston, 41; and James Henry Washington, 48, all of Fort Worth.

"With over 100 (burners) going all night, you can crank out quite a bit of counterfeit product both in CDs and DVDs," Gil Torrez, an investigator with the Recording Industry Association of America who was at the scene, said in a story Thursday in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's online edition.

Officers usually seize fewer than 10 burners during a bust, Torrez said.

RIAA statistics indicate that the profit margin for unauthorized copying can be as high as 900 percent. Torrez said counterfeiters can convert 25 cents worth of raw material into a product they can sell for $5 to $10 on the street.

A neighbor had called police complaining of a suspicious amount of traffic at odd hours at the house, Torrez said.

One person at the house consented to the police request to do a search.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 06:04 PM
taco dealer

fuck !! now i cant get new released movies!!!

IN YOUR MOMS BUTT,TX

***WTB 6 LUG UNIVERSAL CHEVY/FORD 26" RIMS***

08 AVALANCHE---daily driver
06 SILVERADO Z71--->chillin under the carport
06 NAVIGATOR--->wkend pantie dropper-ON 26" RIMS
04 ESCALADE---->sold
89 MUSTANG GT---> collecting dust w/ a flat slick
06 HUMMER------>9.5 MPG weekend driver
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

sup.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x

sup.

lol they were not messing around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I'd fuck her and confess my love while using my wife as the mattress.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Lifer

wow...fort worth is now just THAT much safer...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 07:43 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Well fuck.

Now I have to re open my netflix account.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 PM
The Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgaijin
wow...fort worth is now just THAT much safer...
so you think what these guys were doing is a-okay? ripping off thousands and thousands of movies , music, and games?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
so you think what these guys were doing is a-okay? ripping off thousands and thousands of movies , music, and games?
im not gonna get in some dumbass pissing match with you over it but no, i don't think its ok. damn sure don't consider it some big bust though.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 02:58 AM

Sounds like a big black hole
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:47 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgaijin
im not gonna get in some dumbass pissing match with you over it but no, i don't think its ok. damn sure don't consider it some big bust though.
Wow... at least theives know where to go for support.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:48 AM
duh...duh....duh

Denny,
You buying movies from the Hajis over there? Or have you ever bought a movie from the stands? Not trying to point you out, but I've known a lot of people against it but they do it - knowingly or unknowingly. By "do it" buying pirated copies of movies..software..etc. Other than at a PX, not a single bit of software/movies...etc that I bought of flocal economies were official. (This was in most foreign countries that I've been to with US Bases nearby that were recently in a war/conflict) When you need something pronto though you don't have much choice.

I think what some people might be eluding to is resources put towards busting some geeks ripping off the recording industry - might be put to better use snatching killers, crackheads, and other people that actually create an unsafe living environment.

IMO, I'd agree 'cept for the article stated that it was reported by a neighbor. At that point they don't have much of a choice and it was probably an annoyance for just that 1 neighbor.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
Sounds like a big black hole

I think you mean "white hole"

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
Denny,
You buying movies from the Hajis over there? Or have you ever bought a movie from the stands? Not trying to point you out, but I've known a lot of people against it but they do it - knowingly or unknowingly. By "do it" buying pirated copies of movies..software..etc. Other than at a PX, not a single bit of software/movies...etc that I bought of flocal economies were official. (This was in most foreign countries that I've been to with US Bases nearby that were recently in a war/conflict) When you need something pronto though you don't have much choice.

I think what some people might be eluding to is resources put towards busting some geeks ripping off the recording industry - might be put to better use snatching killers, crackheads, and other people that actually create an unsafe living environment.

IMO, I'd agree 'cept for the article stated that it was reported by a neighbor. At that point they don't have much of a choice and it was probably an annoyance for just that 1 neighbor.

Take care,
Ya, but the difference is that I'm not the one bitching about the police making arrests. This base has to approve everything proir to selling it. So, out here, it's legal because the governing authority says it is. Just like going to Amsterdam, the wacky tobbacky is legal, so... when in Rome

BTW, I never purchase from a haji store. Only AAFES. I will not support an unknown source. I have watched other people's movies, though.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

lmfao @ black hole.

EXCUSE ME!

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Lifer

Quote:
One person at the house consented to the police request to do a search.
Morons...

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 AM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
Narcotics officers who initially went to a south Fort Worth house expecting to find drugs Tuesday afternoon ended up spending hours lugging out boxes of equipment used for the unauthorized copying of CDs and DVDs.
Sounds to me like it wasn't an intentional bust on the studios of Tron.

And as far as the neighbor could tell, how many vehicles must have been going through there daily to make all that equipment and electrical bill profitable?

Cops don't just "raid" a house. They watch it, and run plates of cars that visit it. Chances are, a decent amount of those people going to that house probably had some other types of charges/convictions that made the police make the same assumption. .. drug house.

It just ended up not being the right assumption, but there was still illegal activity going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06
Morons...
What's the other choice when getting raided? "Keep it real" and end up with a bullet in your ass. Warrant + Raid - consent = pain.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmagnus
What's the other choice when getting raided? "Keep it real" and end up with a bullet in your ass. Warrant + Raid - consent = pain.
Warrant = Fuck consent.

If I understand correctly, when they have a warrant they don't have to stop and ask for consent to search. I didn't read anything that said the police had a warrant. It sounds like someone let them in just because they asked?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:44 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Ya, but the difference is that I'm not the one bitching about the police making arrests. This base has to approve everything proir to selling it. So, out here, it's legal because the governing authority says it is. Just like going to Amsterdam, the wacky tobbacky is legal, so... when in Rome

BTW, I never purchase from a haji store. Only AAFES. I will not support an unknown source. I have watched other people's movies, though.
I could argue for the sake of arguing but we both "understand" the situation.

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement