New Iphone - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Mach 1 | 32 V

New Iphone

ok, so I'm getting the new iphone and I need some help

I know there is all sorts of cool stuff to download, wheres the best place to get this stuff

also, I am notorious for throwing cell phones onto the concrete multiple times daily, what case/protection should I get, I do not want anything with a belt clip, it will be in my purse or hand

BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 PM
"SHOW HIM THE BIRD!"

First off if you are notorious for dropping you phones then the Iphone is not for you, no matter what case you get is will still eventually mess up.

Ive been through three iphones because of this, and had an extra thick gel case for all three

Your Iphone has to be unlocked as of right now to download 3rd party apps. Once the iphone 3g comes out you can download from the appstore but it cost per download.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Boss

I hope you plan on keeping your finger nails short, otherwise that touchscreen is gonna do a whole buncha nothing.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:12 AM
11-05-09

if you want to download and install apps for the iPhone, you have to Jailbreak it.

Best way to do it is with ZiPhone.

Visit iPodTouchfans for more info and help.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
dead

IMO iphone apps are worthless. mines jailbroken... other than summerboard (theme and background) i dont use shit that wasnt factory equiped.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Lifer

I thought they are unlocking all the iphones for 3rd party apps with the release of the 3g iphone over a firmware upgrade?

BTW, unless your up for a upgrade or starting new service dont count on the $199/299 price. I just found that out this weekend. The guy I talked to doesnt know the pricing without a new contract but he said it will be higher so I am returning my ATT tilt today that I upgraded to a couple weeks ago so I can get the cheaper price.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Lifer

Without a contract add another $400.00 to the price.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Lifer

w/o a new contract the phones will go up $100 each. When the new 3G iphones are released "App Store" will be released as well to go with the iphone. There are a ton of ways to jailbreak your phone to install 3rd party apps and its really easy. I don't like Zipone because it would lock up my phone.

As far as dropping it goes!?!??! I've only ever dropped mine twice and it killed me each time lol. I won't buy one for the old lady because i know she'll drop it and that's money down the drain. But then again what isn't these days.

The thick rubber cases are good if you don't plan to keep the phone in your pocket. I took mine off and now i only really carry it in my pocket. But also a must have is the screen protectors.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Why do you want an iphone anyways?

Over-rated pieces of junk IMO.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTbasher
I hope you plan on keeping your finger nails short, otherwise that touchscreen is gonna do a whole buncha nothing.
they have iphone stylus pens if you have hooker nails

my regards
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 AM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50
Why do you want an iphone anyways?

Over-rated pieces of junk IMO.
how are they pieces of junk? it does exactly what it needs to. it's internet in your pocket + an ipod + a phone.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Mach 1 | 32 V

I want it for internet. I don't have stripper nails, and I'm pretty sure I'll get the 199 price because I have the old old old ATT plan and I'm not under contract. It sucks that I'll be paying double per month and get half the minutes

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWtechie
Without a contract add another $400.00 to the price.

I HIGHLY doubt it will be $400 on top of the price of the phone. Mabey $400 for the 16gig model total which would be $299 + 100. The guy mentioned he thought it would be another $100 and if so I can handle that for the old ladys phone.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie
I want it for internet. I don't have stripper nails, and I'm pretty sure I'll get the 199 price because I have the old old old ATT plan and I'm not under contract. It sucks that I'll be paying double per month and get half the minutes

As long as you havent gotten a new phone in the last 18 months then you should be good to go. You can call and see if you elegible for an upgrade.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Mach 1 | 32 V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason
As long as you havent gotten a new phone in the last 18 months then you should be good to go. You can call and see if you elegible for an upgrade.
I checked the website and it said I am, I really am not worried about it

I haven't gotten a new phone in like 3 years, mine is totally crappy and falling apart lol

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:44 PM
LUCIFER

Quote:
I checked the website and it said I am, I really am not worried about it

I haven't gotten a new phone in like 3 years, mine is totally crappy and falling apart lol

I heard if you get the iphone it's the only phone AT&T will allow a new contract if you're still locked in one. I talked to a customer service rep about this not too long ago

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Lifer

If your currently locked in a plan they will allow you to cancel it and get a new one but not with the same price as you currently have. Now i'm not sure weather that will be bad or good? No one really knows till the new prices are released with the new phone. I also saw the new tutorial on the new 3g iphone. Looks really nice. With the release of the the app store it's only gonna get better. I'm getting a new one when it comes out.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Lifer

I still to this day do not understand why people don't instead of buying the flashiest new toy from Apple....DO A LITTLE RESEARCH on some alternatives. My Nokia E70 which I bought well over a year ago will do anything the Iphone will do...its smaller, lighter, more robust, actually HAS a keyboard, has better battery life (oh and if my battery goes bad I simply pull it out and replace it, its unlocked so I can use it on any network using SIM cards, has bluetooth, has an MP3 player, plays video, has a 2 megapixel phone, I can surf the internet ALL DAY LONG on it (any website, the real deal) and I dont have to mess with that stupid touch screen which sucks ass. Oh and you can get an unlocked E70 for about 2 hundred bucks if you search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTv0E2qzUWQ

FUCK Canada

Last edited by ram57ta; 07-04-2008 at 03:25 PM.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 03:29 PM
RedLilPony

I love the iPhone. I use the calendar, text, call, youtube, alarm, iPod, Internet. I use every feature on it. If you don't then I think it is a waste of money.

Anyways, if you get one then you need the film cover to reduce scratches. There's not many case options out there but my favorite is one from best buy. They have a leather fold over case with a removable clip so it fits better in your bag. Oh, and I've never had a problem with my nails and the touch screen.

This message was posted from my iPhone.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason
I HIGHLY doubt it will be $400 on top of the price of the phone. Mabey $400 for the 16gig model total which would be $299 + 100. The guy mentioned he thought it would be another $100 and if so I can handle that for the old ladys phone.

I got this in an email.

AT&T will offer a no-contract-required option for $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB).
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Lifer

Pretty impressive what they crammed into the new Iphone, but they still haven't addressed the whole issues with it, like the flaky touchscreen, the embedded battery which you cannot swap out....but the whole deal about only being available through ATT, and them saying you can only put apps on it that you buy from THEM only....thats a bunch of horseshit and Apple can lick my ass....not to mention its rediculously overpriced. FUCK the Iphone.

Oh....and since you felt it necessary to point out you sent that from your Iphone....DITTO...I sent this from my much smaller QWERTY keyboard on my 2 year old E70 using Its built in WiFi connection

FUCK Canada
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 04:01 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
I still to this day do not understand why people don't instead of buying the flashiest new toy from Apple....DO A LITTLE RESEARCH on some alternatives. My Nokia E70 which I bought well over a year ago will do anything the Iphone will do...its smaller, lighter, more robust, actually HAS a keyboard, has better battery life (oh and if my battery goes bad I simply pull it out and replace it, its unlocked so I can use it on any network using SIM cards, has bluetooth, has an MP3 player, plays video, has a 2 megapixel phone, I can surf the internet ALL DAY LONG on it (any website, the real deal) and I dont have to mess with that stupid touch screen which sucks ass. Oh and you can get an unlocked E70 for about 2 hundred bucks if you search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTv0E2qzUWQ

im sure your phone is wonderful, too bad it looks stupid.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
im sure your phone is wonderful, too bad it looks stupid.
wow...that was original. Wheres the love

FUCK Canada
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 04:30 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
wow...that was original. Wheres the love
im just giving you shit.

the iphone does have a lot of short comings, most of the as a phone... which is ok cause i dont like phones.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Mach 1 | 32 V

I ordered a full scratchproof film from invisible shield today, I'm also going to get a hard plastic case, haven't decided exactly which one yet but I like this one http://www.contourcase.com/showcase/showcaseiphone/

also I found a place that will sell accidental damage and warranty insurance for 3 yrs for 50 bucks. Squaretrade.com. There is a $50 detuctible for accidental damage.

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Gunga galunga

as far as scratches the iPhone is pretty damn tough... I meant to get a case/screen protectors when I bought mine since I always carry it in my pocket with keys etc. but never got around to it. After 3 months there are some minor nicks and scratches on the back, but the screen is flawless. I thought I had finally put a few nicks in the screen but it was just stuff on the surface that wiped off

My only real issues with the phone are:

-The email program is pretty weak, it works fine for personal use, but if your expecting a powerful email client walk away. (New firmware may help this though)

-No SMS picture messages, you can only email pics, and to receive picture messages sent to you, you have to go a website. Honestly this is my biggest gripe about the phone, but it didn't keep me from owning one

-Battery, I know alot of people bitch about this, but I have never kept extra batteries for my phones, and I tend to change phones often enough that replacement hasn't been a big issue. Also, a big plus to the iphone is that it uses the regular ipod cable, and all you need is a USB port to charge it if you don't have a power adapter. This was nice for me since I already had a 3 of the ipod cables and two power adapters before I even bought the phone

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 AM

I have dropped my iPhone off a 2nd story balcony onto concrete and slammed it a few times, and my phone is still kicking.

We're getting the new iPhone as well.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Mach 1 | 32 V

so does it not come with a wall charger at all? I ordered a car charger but do I need to get a wall charger too? I do not have any experience with ipods, I just downloaded itunes the other day. Can I put my CDs on my computer with itunes then put them into my iphone?

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Keep jocking

Quote:
so does it not come with a wall charger at all? I ordered a car charger but do I need to get a wall charger too? I do not have any experience with ipods, I just downloaded itunes the other day.
Yes, it will come with a wall charger but not a car charger.

Quote:
Can I put my CDs on my computer with itunes then put them into my iphone?
Yes.

<~~~~ 99MustangGT
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 12:34 PM
dead

Quote:
I ordered a full scratchproof film from invisible shield today, I'm also going to get a hard plastic case, haven't decided exactly which one yet but I like this one http://www.contourcase.com/showcase/showcaseiphone/

also I found a place that will sell accidental damage and warranty insurance for 3 yrs for 50 bucks. Squaretrade.com. There is a $50 detuctible for accidental damage.

i use the clear film on mine. i do believe the new one is different dimensions (just slightly) so you may want to hold off on your accessories till you get your phone.

most insurance companies offer a personal articles policy for stuff like laptops and pdas and phones too. not sure who would be cheaper
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Mach 1 | 32 V

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC
Yes, it will come with a wall charger but not a car charger.

Yes.

<~~~~ 99MustangGT

tell me how

Quote:
i use the clear film on mine. i do believe the new one is different dimensions (just slightly) so you may want to hold off on your accessories till you get your phone.

most insurance companies offer a personal articles policy for stuff like laptops and pdas and phones too. not sure who would be cheaper
the homeowners policy is in Mike's name and I have no clue what company it is. The new one is slightly different, the film I got is for the new one but the case I want isn't listed online for the new one. I really want that case but I'm not going to order one that doesn't say its for the 3g plus its 35 bucks +8 bucks to ship so I'm gonna wait and make sure it will fit

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Mach 1 | 32 V

I put my CD in and it said import using itunes, this is going to take f o r e v e r

I guess my cds are scratched because most of the songs sound like crap

Last edited by Barbie; 07-06-2008 at 09:26 PM.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Lifer

I'd have to say my touch screen is awesome?? I haven't had any "flakey" problems with it? For me its really really accurate and thats even with the screen protector. I also have a friend who doesn't have a screen protector and his screen still looks brand new.
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 AM
dead

Quote:
I put my CD in and it said import using itunes, this is going to take f o r e v e r

I guess my cds are scratched because most of the songs sound like crap
i take it you are ripping all your cds? personally i wouldnt use iTunes to rip them. iTunes rips the songs to a format called AAC by default which is an apple proprietary format (there maybe a way to turn them into an MP3, i just dont know).

I personally would rip the cds as MP3 format since its the most widespread format and put your bitrate (quality) as 320 kbps. scratches on the disc wouldnt hurt the sound quality. they can make it skip or clip in and out if thats what you mean but the parts that arent scratched should sound fine.

There are lots of free simple programs out there like "free cd to mp3 converter" you can download if you dont have one.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Lifer

Quote:
i take it you are ripping all your cds? personally i wouldnt use iTunes to rip them. iTunes rips the songs to a format called AAC by default which is an apple proprietary format (there maybe a way to turn them into an MP3, i just dont know).

I personally would rip the cds as MP3 format since its the most widespread format and put your bitrate (quality) as 320 kbps. scratches on the disc wouldnt hurt the sound quality. they can make it skip or clip in and out if thats what you mean but the parts that arent scratched should sound fine.

There are lots of free simple programs out there like "free cd to mp3 converter" you can download if you dont have one.
Unless you are using an Apple computer (which I don't know if you are)...Windows media player will rip your cd's and you can even set what bit-rate you want to lower the file size. I ripped all my CD's about 2 years ago and lowered them down to 128k so I could then put a lot of the music back onto CD-r as MP3 format so I could fit roughly 150 songs on 1 disc...and then I just have 1 or 2 discs I carry in my car (my Alpine plays MP3 and WMA). On my Nokia..the media player can read right off the 2gb microSD card and will play mp3 so I can easily put music on it.

FUCK Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement