Build a gaming system - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Build a gaming system

What would you put in one. Not looking super duper high end stuff. Would like to have 4g ram,GTX280,and maybe a 1100watt psu. What operating system would you put on one?

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:24 PM
fuckcanada

Not looking for super duper high end stuff, yet you list a 280 and 1100w psu?

K, well for starters go quad preferably a Penryn 45nm Intel one such as the Q9550.

Ever plan on going sli? if yes, go EVGA 790i if not, i'd go with Asus P5K3 LGA 775 P35
i'd go with a P35 chipset as its tried and true. OR you can go with a DFI X38/X48 chipset, you do the research on what you need.

Ram, pretty much stick to the "brand" names and go with the one with the better warranty. OCZ Plat. 2x2GB DDR3 @ 1333mhz comes to mind.

PSU, Tagan, Toughpower, PC Power and Cooling if you got the cash, or an Enermax Galaxy.
Make sure you choose one with an 6+2Pin PCI-Express connector

Vista Ult. 64 bit hands down, that's not up for discussion if you plan on gaming.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
Are those not the most important things? If going with a Raptor hd and sata what do you put the games on vs o/s? Or two Raptors?

93 Teal/Gray Cobra

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 AM
fuckcanada

Yes they are, however you can get by with less. I don't know your projected upgrade path, how long you plan to keep the system what games you are playing etc...

You can look into getting Raptors' but well the Raptor X hasn't been the king for awhile now. You could look into getting either the 640GB WD drives, or even a spinpoint f1 or something. 1TB drives are "cheap" and offer the same read/write performance as Raptor X's.

Raptors excel in Access times, there's always the Velicoraptor but at $300 for 300GB its not a budget friendly option.

If drive space isn't an issue, than I guess a Velicoraptor would suit you (but it is pricey).

I'd go with two drives, one for the OS (prolly split into two partitions so you could dual boot if you wanted to) and one drive for games.
Raptors excel in Access times, and the new velicoraptor blows away a ton of drives in terms of speed. But at $300 for 300GB its not a budget friendly choice.

If drive space isn't an issue, than I guess a Velicoraptor would suit you (but it is pricey).

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:

K, well for starters go quad preferably a Penryn 45nm Intel one such as the Q9550.

Ever plan on going sli? if yes, go EVGA 790i if not, i'd go with Asus P5K3 LGA 775 P35
i'd go with a P35 chipset as its tried and true. OR you can go with a DFI X38/X48 chipset, you do the research on what you need.

Ram, pretty much stick to the "brand" names and go with the one with the better warranty. OCZ Plat. 2x2GB DDR3 @ 1333mhz comes to mind.

PSU, Tagan, Toughpower, PC Power and Cooling if you got the cash, or an Enermax Galaxy.
Make sure you choose one with an 6+2Pin PCI-Express connector

Vista Ult. 64 bit hands down, that's not up for discussion if you plan on gaming.

Whats the price on that? Looking to spend about $700-800 on a gaming machine but not too expensive. Been looking at a quad core setup.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:52 AM

It used to be cheaper to build a high end system but now itís actually more expensive. If you want a nice cheap gaming machine then go check out Dellís Gaming machines, or Alienwareís. You can even build one there with your specification you want then compare from buying the parts separate and building it yourself and you will see its more expensive building one. But if you donít mind spending some dough, then by all means build one lol.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:21 AM
duh...duh....duh

In-line with CISCO's statements I bought from Costco.com. The machine I got - the parts were 1700 dollars w/ standard warranties. The machine from Costco will have 2 year warranty and cost me 1099.

If you want my opinion on Costco, do a search - you'll see it. I've saved so much money at that place it's retarded. (no, you're retarded)

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
In-line with CISCO's statements I bought from Costco.com. The machine I got - the parts were 1700 dollars w/ standard warranties. The machine from Costco will have 2 year warranty and cost me 1099.

If you want my opinion on Costco, do a search - you'll see it. I've saved so much money at that place it's retarded. (no, you're retarded)

Take care,
You arenít lying lol. I looked them up and yeah there are some good prices with warranty and all. lols costco
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:34 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CISCO
You arenít lying lol. I looked them up and yeah there are some good prices with warranty and all. lols costco
Here is a basic rundown of the place from my perspective...

With the business membership and costco amex you get 5% extra off on stuff.

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/show...ghlight=costco

Check your PMs.

My '03 Sold.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:11 PM
fuckcanada

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I had a couple of bad experiences with tigerdirect because they seem to sell you used stuff or if not that bad quality parts. I purchased about four items from them and all four times I was disappointed. Unless you have actually purchased something from these guys I wouldnít post their names here because after all we are trying to lead this dude into the right direction and not just throw names in the air. (Not trying to point fingers or talk down on peopleís posts. Just want to make sure people are not throwing random companies.)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 AM
fuckcanada

I have purchased from Tigerdirect, lots of times to be honest. Never had any bad/horrible experiences though.
But with ALL computer hardware purchases, YMMV.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 AM
duh...duh....duh

conflict. Resolve it DFWS way.

JITB, 15 minutes!!!!

My '03 Sold.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 AM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
conflict. Resolve it DFWS way.

JITB, 15 minutes!!!!
lol