Damn 360 locks up when playing GTA4 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Damn 360 locks up when playing GTA4

Every time i try to play Grand Theft Auto 4, i get to play for 15-20 min before the damn Xbox locks up and just freezes me right there where i am at. Sometimes i think it happens when i am diving to fast on the game. But other times I really dont know why it does it. Anyone else having this problem? It is very annoying.

Another thing wrong with this game is that every time you restart the game you have to replay the last 2 missions you did just to get to where you should be, even if you made it a point to go and save at your house before you turned off the game. Not to mention that it is always saying "autosaving" so it shouldn't be a problem anyway. The same thing used to happen to me on a couple of the other GTA games though but you would think they would have fixed this by now.

After reading up on this a little more, a lot of people say it's heat. Ok i can see that happening. Then, they recommend these aftermarket intercoolers that stick to the back of the 360. All of these coolers have horrible reviews, some even claim they ruined their xbox. Microsoft says that no cooler is needed, but that you just need to keep it up off the carpet and out of an entertainment center or TV stand. WTF? i can see keeping it off the carpet but you cant put it in an entertainment center? They fucking suck. Where the hell do you think 99% of people want to put their consoles? On the damn coffe table or something? /rant off

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

Last edited by justinsn95; 06-22-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 AM
duh...duh....duh

Well, just to test the theory remove it from the entertainment center/whatever and see what happens.

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Yeah i'll be doing that, but i dont think that i should have to. I dont have it in a small confined space or anything. Not like the things that they have em in at gamestop so the little kids cant fuck with em. The space it is in is probly a foot high, 1.5 feet wide and probly 2.5 feet deep with an open front. I dont think thats unreasonable for heat. How irritating.

But i found out that since i have purchased mine, they have upgraded the cooling system in the 360's. Go figure.

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 12:09 PM
duh...duh....duh

Well, before getting your panties in a wad - just make sure that's the problem.

I have mine in the open and the damned thing puts off a ton of heat so I'd suspect your on the right track. My friend has had the Nyko one for years on his with no problems - but that's probably hit or miss too. What are they saying sucks about the coolers?

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Time Served

before you tear it appart, call microsoft, mostlikely you have the Red ring of death. mine did it not to long ago and MS repaied it for free. the external fans are ok but i would call first and get it fixed.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Some of the nyko coolers supposedly melt the power cord and somehow ruin the xbox. Microsoft says that if you use one of these, any warranty you ever had will be voided, and they will not fix it. If you go to newegg you can read some of the reviews on it and they do not look good at all. But who knows it is probly hit and miss with it, may end up with a good one. I heard that Nyko redesigned it a little bit, but that there have still been reports of it happening some. Also people say that Nyko is completely unwilling to help anyone in any way with an xbox that their product killed. So i would probly try it, but that kinda stuff has scared me off of it.

Quote:

Quote:
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Lifer

Sounds like your box is about to die. Mine started that and then it decided to finally give me the 3 red lights.. You should still be in warranty, and can get it fixed for free.

I'd advise against the coolers that use the 360's power supply. Bad idea. I've been using just a 80mm fan set to pull air out of the back of the 360. It is on it's own power supply, and I just turn it on when I turn on the 360. It keeps the 360 cooler, and I don't hear it kick the internal fans on high anymore.

Chambers
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Boost is Good

don't put the cooler on it. Your system is going through pre-phase of RRoD... You should just go ahead and call it and get it replaced through warranty.

And one more thing, gaming consoles now days are just like computers. They can overheat if smothered. That is why they want you to put it in a place it can breath. Most entertainment systems have a glass cover on the front and small openings in the back. It leaves very little room for the heat to escape. Just like any computer, it has to be able to get rid of the heat or you will have problems
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Resident Epicurean

Interesting. Don't have any of those problems on my PS3.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
You also don't have any games that are worth buying that are not better than the 360's version other than MG4 which is a PS3 exclusive.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Punisher
You also don't have any games that are worth buying that are not better than the 360's version other than MG4 which is a PS3 exclusive.

Yeah, get back to me when you learn how to make sense.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Lifer

Heat=bad
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Yeah, get back to me when you learn how to make sense.
get back to me when you get tired of watching blu-rays and want to game...
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Punisher
get back to me when you get tired of watching blu-rays and want to game...

Pretty much all I do with mine is game. I've watched maybe 4 movies on it since I bought it in December....
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Pretty much all I do with mine is game. I've watched maybe 4 movies on it since I bought it in December....
same here, just on the better gaming system..
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:20 PM
11-05-09

Damn dude, you're even having problems with your consoles?
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris
Damn dude, you're even having problems with your consoles?

Someone should stop playing shade tree computer tech, and stop fucking with shit. LOL!
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:36 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
I do.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
I do.

What the hell is wrong with yours? Need me to come look at it?
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Time Served

its a problem with the consol, I played that and kept mine on for days on end... Never had a problem but twice, and I think the only reason that happened, was my xbox sits on my floor speaker and I had my surround sound turned up pretty good....

1990 Coupe Sold 2/10/10
V6 auto ( daily ) Traded in 6/14/10
2010 GT
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:31 PM
duh...duh....duh

So, I now play more movies on mine via streaming from my PC and playing mp3 via my PC then I do game on it. Between...

-Being a MCE extender
-Streaming audio/video from PCs (different then MCE extender)
-Xbox LIVE (movies...etc)
-Great gaming console

XB360 rules

My '03 Sold.
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:48 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
What the hell is wrong with yours? Need me to come look at it?

It locks up randomly. No way it's getting too hot, either.

Sometimes it just stops responding to the remote.

The on/off/reset button on the front only wakes the system up if it's off, but it never resets or turns it off after that.

It acts up most of the time when I put a regular DVD in it. Bluray does fine.

The menu screen makes popping noises. You remember that from when you saw it, right? Still does it.

I can't get it to download shit. A couple of my games aren't even playable because of this. It says they need an update, I click "okay" or whatever, and it just won't do it.

No luck getting online. That may be a problem with my shitty ass computer. I dunno.

For Bluray, it's awesome. For most games, it's great. But it still gives me shit, and to be honest, I've heard nightmares about trying to get them warrantied through Sony. I've just been putting that off.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 06:42 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
Some of the nyko coolers supposedly melt the power cord and somehow ruin the xbox. Microsoft says that if you use one of these, any warranty you ever had will be voided, and they will not fix it. If you go to newegg you can read some of the reviews on it and they do not look good at all. But who knows it is probly hit and miss with it, may end up with a good one. I heard that Nyko redesigned it a little bit, but that there have still been reports of it happening some. Also people say that Nyko is completely unwilling to help anyone in any way with an xbox that their product killed. So i would probly try it, but that kinda stuff has scared me off of it.

I have that intercooler and mine works fine. The air coming out is colder after putting it on the xbox. Had it for nearly 6-7 months with no problems. Plus I'm the 3rd owner of the 360.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Fabrique National Fan

One of the programmers here at work told me that putting a cooler on after running it for a while without it is bad for the board for some reason. I want to say he said it could possibly warp the board or some such. Just what I was told...I don't even own one.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Someone should stop playing shade tree computer tech, and stop fucking with shit. LOL!
Have you read any of the other people's posts in this thread?...

Have you read my post? geeze dude.

Quote:

Quote:
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon-K
One of the programmers here at work told me that putting a cooler on after running it for a while without it is bad for the board for some reason. I want to say he said it could possibly warp the board or some such. Just what I was told...I don't even own one.
I think the problem is not the extra cooling the intercoolers give, but the place where they plug in. Some of them plug into the main power spot on the back of the 360. What was happening is the connections between the power supply --> intercooler --> xbox (Somewhere in between there the connections were overheating and frying the power source into the 360)
They were saying the fan that runs off the USB spot on the back is a better route to go.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 AM
duh...duh....duh

If it runs off the USB port, you'd think it would be safer. I'm a XB360 fan, but I admit it is ashame when people can't use the XB to power something that'll cool it off.

My '03 Sold.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
If it runs off the USB port, you'd think it would be safer. I'm a XB360 fan, but I admit it is ashame when people can't use the XB to power something that'll cool it off.
its the intercoolers problem. Its like the they didn't use the right type of guage wires and connectors. Its like pushing 24 volts through a 12 volt wire, it overheats and goes up in smoke! I think they have fixed that problem though on the new intercoolers, truthfully I don't think you need one if you keep your system from getting smothered. USB port should be the safer route to go, it doesn't directly affect the system power.
<--- elite and never needed one, no problems so farl
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Semi-Banned

Quote:
I do.

sucks.

I don't have issues with either.

<----knocks on wood!

my bros however, after 3 weeks, his 360 scratched a perfect circle around the gta4 cd. Is it true microsoft will replace your game if that happens??
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

I had one carve a ring into Oblivion, and it was because i moved it while the dvd was in there spinning. Many people assume it was like any other DVD player and have done the same thing. Its not lol. I just resurfaced the game and it fixed it well enough for it to work but it taught me a lesson thats for sure.

As for smothering it, i knew it had issues so i thought the dimensions i put it in would be fin. I guess not. Again, no glass door like all those other entertainment centers. And plenty of room behind. Maybe i will carve out some of the back. Wouldnt be noticeable anyways. As for all the trolls in here, i guess you are just well... dumbasses.

Quote:

Quote:
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
It locks up randomly. No way it's getting too hot, either.

Sometimes it just stops responding to the remote.

The on/off/reset button on the front only wakes the system up if it's off, but it never resets or turns it off after that.

It acts up most of the time when I put a regular DVD in it. Bluray does fine.

The menu screen makes popping noises. You remember that from when you saw it, right? Still does it.

I can't get it to download shit. A couple of my games aren't even playable because of this. It says they need an update, I click "okay" or whatever, and it just won't do it.

No luck getting online. That may be a problem with my shitty ass computer. I dunno.

For Bluray, it's awesome. For most games, it's great. But it still gives me shit, and to be honest, I've heard nightmares about trying to get them warrantied through Sony. I've just been putting that off.

The update isn't why it's popping, or why the remotes don't work. There is another problem there. You better get that shit exchanged before your warranty runs out. Try taking it back to the place you bought it at.

As for the internet, it has nothing to do with your pc. Your internet just sucks. You have DSL, right? That's a slower connection than cable/FIOs, so you will most likely lag a little bit. I do know, however, that your router sends out a shitty signal. You were getting like 50% signal, which I don't think is enough to game on line. The other option is to hardwire through your router. Run CAT5 cable up through the attic from the PS3 to the router.

My router just took a shit. Had to get a new one. The new one, sucks terribly. I was only getting 37% signal from no more than 20 feet away. Wasn't enough, so I ran a temp cat5 cable. I need to get someone to come over and run it through the attic and fishtape through the walls. I don't want to mess with it myself.
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:22 AM
duh...duh....duh

For what it's worth, I plan to throw a cooler on my XB360 as soon as I get a hold of my friend that's had 1 for a long time now.

My '03 Sold.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
The update isn't why it's popping, or why the remotes don't work. There is another problem there. You better get that shit exchanged before your warranty runs out. Try taking it back to the place you bought it at. .
By update, I was talking about the updates for individual games when I put them in. I know the problems it is having are due to the hardware. Taking it back to Fry's will do me no good. I have spoken to Sony, and I just have to jump through some hoops for them before they will take it back. I'll do it before the one year warranty is up. I have read about a lot of people who have had to fight with Sony to get shit done though, and some that didn't get anywhere. Hopefully I won't have to deal with that.

Quote:
As for the internet, it has nothing to do with your pc. Your internet just sucks. You have DSL, right? That's a slower connection than cable/FIOs, so you will most likely lag a little bit. I do know, however, that your router sends out a shitty signal. You were getting like 50% signal, which I don't think is enough to game on line. The other option is to hardwire through your router. Run CAT5 cable up through the attic from the PS3 to the router.

My router just took a shit. Had to get a new one. The new one, sucks terribly. I was only getting 37% signal from no more than 20 feet away. Wasn't enough, so I ran a temp cat5 cable. I need to get someone to come over and run it through the attic and fishtape through the walls. I don't want to mess with it myself.
I'm not going to mess with any of that considering I don't play anything online. I like the campaign modes on the games I play.

I watched a regular DVD the other day and it actually played all the way through without any issues. It's just hit or miss.

I think I'm going to buy another one anyway and put this one in my truck.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Boost is Good

Guess I'll say it since Sony boys always like to chime in

when a 360 owner has issues...

Should of bought a 360
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:

i do the opposite, use it for blue rays other than that not much...i have a few games only one i finished was heavenly sword cause it takes like 4 hours or less lol...
still badass lookin game on a 50" tho
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Well just an update, but i bought that intec intercooler and the problem would seem to be solved. It has not locked up or had any problems since i began using it. It has its own external power source, so if wont fry the xbox much like the nyko version of the intercoler. I can put my hand behind it and feel hot ass air coming out of the back that was not there before. Well, at least i could not feel it flowing before, i could only feel heat. I also tried the tissue paper test, and it passed that one too. Thats where you get a piece of tissue paper and stick it to one of the vents that air would be flowing through. Not a vent on the intercooler itself. A side vent. The paper sticks to the vent and has to be peeled off, so you know that it is moving cool air through the Xbox. I would recommend this to anyone having heat problems.

http://www.buy.com/prod/xbox-360-tur...205808568.html

As you can see it has its own power supply which is the flaw of the other intercoolers that do not, but there is still one small disadvantage. You have to turn it on yourself every time you play. And you can not forget either. If you do, you are screwed as without it running the xbox has no ventilation whatsoever. And its not loud. I would say the fans on the xbox are louder.

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by justinsn95; 06-29-2008 at 03:55 PM.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Time Served

Mines freezed on GTA4 a few times already usually while driving also. No other game I ever play has it ever freezed. I refuse to believe the RRoD is happening to me at this point.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 PM
I. Am. God.

wtf is MG4?

1994 Cobra Pace Car For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56482
only on DFWstangs...
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot To Kill
wtf is MG4?
Metal Gear Solid 4

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

AAGGH!! Well cancel my last post about that cooler fixing it. I mean i guess it did fix it, temporarily. It would freeze after 15 min of gameplay every time i used it before i bought the cooler. Then i put the cooler on and i could play it for hours if i wanted to. Now as of today, it is back to its old tricks. So i guess i am sending it in. To the guys that have sent theirs in: 1. Does it have to be the red ring of death? Mine still plays, it just freezes up in GTA4. 2. Is it a pain in the ass to send one in? What all do you have to do? Do you know what they actually fix on the xbox itself? How long does it take to get it back?

I had relocated it to a seemingly cooler spot as well. Tried that before i actually put the cooler on but it didnt work. I dont even know if it will lock up in other games. But it is enough that it even locks up in 1 game. I have also heard that you can take your 360 to gamestop, give them 40 bucks and your 360, and they will hand you a working refurbished 360. Anyone know if thats true?

Quote:

Quote:
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Time Served

why don't you stop and listen to some people, if the box is less than 3yrs old, MS will fix the stupid thing for free and pay for shipping both ways. i sent mine off and got it back in 2 weeks, and they gave me a month free of live.

or you can waste your time and money and still have a busted ass xbox.
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Why dont you stop and listen to my post, where i did not ask if they will fix it. I asked how big of a pain in the ass it was to have them do so.

Quote:

Quote:
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 04:54 PM
duh...duh....duh

Both of yall...JITB 15 minutes.

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement