How do you turn down the res on a MAC? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

How do you turn down the res on a MAC?

Despite my warnings, my grandparents bought one of those new iMacs, the G4 or whatever. One of those silly things that is like a laptop, but in the form of a desktop. Just a screen, no tower. Well anyway, some smart guy at mac i guess thought it was a good idea to max the resolution out so far you can even read the screen. At least not without leaning in close to it. Anyone know how to set the res on a mac? I dont cause i dont like Apple computers so i never really mess with Mac OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Lifer

If this doesn't work, continue the google search 'change imac resolution'.

Apple Monitors: How To Change Resolution

* Last Modified on: September 11, 2003

* Article: 15432

This article explains how to change screen resolutions on Apple monitors when running Mac OS version 8 or later.

You can change the resolution of your monitor to zoom in for detail work or to zoom out and see a whole page or more at a time. To change your screen resolution, follow these steps:

1. Select the Monitors control panel from the Apple menu, it may also be called Monitors and Sound.

Note: If you have more that one monitor, a separate Monitors control panel will appear on each display.

2. Click on the resolution you desire in the Resolution section of the control panel.

3. The new resolution will be displayed after you select it.

4. Close the Monitors control panel by clicking the close box in the upper-left corner.

5. If the image is distorted, adjust the video controls in the Monitors control panel or on the monitor itself.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Thank you sir. Anyone else here have a general distaste for apple computers?

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
Thank you sir. Anyone else here have a general distaste for apple computers?
I don't dislike Apple computers, per se. But I can't stand the Apple fanboys, fucking retards. "ooh, you guys have patches, lol!" Yeah, and Apple just comes out with a new version of their OS, 10.5, heh, it's just OSX sp5...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:07 AM
I. Am. God.

i don't dislike them. but for beginners i find them very user-UN-friendly for some reason.

i'm familiar with them since we had to use them in school for our video editing.

but i would take XP over any mac OS ANY day.

1994 Cobra Pace Car For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56482
only on DFWstangs...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 03:23 PM
duh...duh....duh

I thought MACs were so great if you just thought it, it would do "it".

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Hell, you cant upgrade them at all. So when they get old and need upgrading, they just become a shitbox. The reason my grandparents just got a new one was cause the MB on the old one crapped out. That could happen to any computer but they run a business so it was really important for me to be able to get to the hard drive. I could not. Not without destroying the rest of the computer. I heard someone say apple does not even make towers anymore. Is this true? if so... ROFL

Quote:

Quote:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:08 PM
I. Am. God.

Quote:
Hell, you cant upgrade them at all. So when they get old and need upgrading, they just become a shitbox. The reason my grandparents just got a new one was cause the MB on the old one crapped out. That could happen to any computer but they run a business so it was really important for me to be able to get to the hard drive. I could not. Not without destroying the rest of the computer. I heard someone say apple does not even make towers anymore. Is this true? if so... ROFL
wrong. they still make the G5. (or whatever it is called now)

macs are good for digital graphics. but as far as running a business, i'd say XP pro will be the best bet.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ro?mco=MTE3MDQ

edit: assuming you were saying "towers" in the context of "desktop"

1994 Cobra Pace Car For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56482
only on DFWstangs...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

hipsters.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 08:31 AM

owned macs since 98 (both still running fine, never crashed) best out there.

hold down key with "apple" icon on it next to space bar and press "+" to increase font size. press "-" to reduce font size. if you give the mac a chance for a little bit, you'll never go back to a pc. I have to use windows at work and it drives me fucking nuts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:16 AM
You never go full retard

Quote:

We've had a MAC since the first iMac came out, never had a problem with them. Oh and yes they are upgradeable, most dont need to be because you can order them with exactly what you need.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Custom Title

That's easy, turn the resolution knob counter clockwise.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Turn Your Swag On!

I've had my MacBook Pro for a while now and I absolutely love it compared to my old Windows laptop and desktop. Haven't had a single problem with it and I like the MAC OS a lot more too

1955 F-100
2006 S2000
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

I have had four of those crappy imacs die on me. (belonged to family and friends) I am talking about the old ones that had the tube screen all in one type of deal. You know, the multi colored ones. They got so slow that they would eventually just lock up and do nothing. Then this 1 newer one that i mentioned above just died due to motherboard. And as for upgrading, one day what you "ordered" will get old. With a PC, you just get some $20-40 RAM and maybe a $50 CPU upgrade (by that time they are cheap) and you might be able to squeeze out a 2 or3 more years. As opposed to $400-1000 for a new one. At least you have an option. With an imac, well time to buy a new one. No options.

Yeah i will agree that Mac OS is probly better than anything windows has. It's apple computers i have a problem with. But my complaints about macOS are...there is no directX 10, therefore there is no games. At least not the way us gamers like to play them. And the new one that my grandparents bought doesnt even have IE on it. WTF? Some sites will not even function without IE.

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by justinsn95; 06-29-2008 at 07:01 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Small Fry

When having used Windows all your life, there is a learning curve when switching to a Mac, but it's not that substantial. And once you've unlearned most of the windows operations, and learned the Mac operations (that is if you can't hold how to operate two different OS's in your head) you'll see that Macs are much simpler, and actually more intuitive. Not to mention they are 10x more stable. I've had my Mac Pro (what they call their towers now) for over a year and a half and it's never crashed once.

1993 Coupe
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
I have had four of those crappy imacs die on me. (belonged to family and friends) I am talking about the old ones that had the tube screen all in one type of deal. You know, the multi colored ones. They got so slow that they would eventually just lock up and do nothing. Then this 1 newer one that i mentioned above just died due to motherboard.
Those iMacs are 6-10 years old. I'd call that longevity, and pretty damn reliable.

Quote:
And as for upgrading, one day what you "ordered" will get old. With a PC, you just get some $20-40 RAM and maybe a $50 CPU upgrade (by that time they are cheap) and you might be able to squeeze out a 2 or3 more years. As opposed to $400-1000 for a new one. At least you have an option. With an imac, well time to buy a new one. No options.
The cpu isn't soldered in, so as long as the new cpu fits in the socket you can upgrade. Same with the gpu, though you can't just go buy them off the shelf.

The hdd is a standard sata drive, ready to be upgraded if you need. And ram is easily accessible via a compartment that's as easy to upgraded/replace as it is to change batteries.

Just because it lacks a tower doesn't mean it's not upgradable. About the only thing you can't upgrade is the motherboard, but I'd say even that's debatable. As long as the form factor doesn't drastically change, I see no reason a newer model's motherboard can't be swapped in later on.

Quote:
But my complaints about macOS are...there is no directX 10, therefore there is no games. At least not the way us gamers like to play them.
Honestly, I'm actually more disappointed in the developers that almost unanimously chose DirectX, instead of OpenGL. OpenGL is currently near feature parity with DX9, and I suspect it won't be long before it's near or at parity with DX10. Don't believe me? Unreal Tournament 3.

Had developers supported OGL, porting their games to different OS's would be cake (for example, iirc UT3 included the Linux client in the retail box, so you could install it on either Linux or Windows. It's also coming to OSX). Instead, DirectX locks them into Windows only. While granted, Windows has the largest market share, why impose any limits on how much of the total market your games can reach? Why not cater to 100% of the market instead of ~90%?

Quote:
And the new one that my grandparents bought doesnt even have IE on it. WTF? Some sites will not even function without IE.
Yeah, good on that! Safari is there by default, and far better than IE. Of course you could always grab FireFox, Opera, or Camino if you don't like Safari. I personally prefer FireFox for the extensions, but Safari is definitely snappier and much less resource hungry.

And thank god FireFox is here to finally challenge IE's dominance. Sites are more often being geared towards open standards, no longer IE only. Hell, even IE is breaking it's own sites. IE7 and the upcoming IE8 are gasping for breath while FireFox is skyrocketing.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement