6 to 8 pin PCI-E molex power connector adapter - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
The Janitor

6 to 8 pin PCI-E molex power connector adapter

Anyone know where i can find one locally? First one to say Fry's gets pistol-whipped. Oh, and fuck EVGA. Their 9800GX2 does NOT come with the adapter, and their competitors XFX and BFG do. GAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Lifer

Altex Electronics in Carrollton has just about everything electrical you can imagine.

I was there today myself and bought a hard to find TNC male to RP-SMA male adapter for a new high gain antenna for my router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Fries Electronics

http://outpost.com

Altex will have it.

http://www.altex.com/locations.php?store=dfw

EDIT. I totally just ignored the post above. Altex has all that weird shit.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Last edited by Hunt4m3x; 06-13-2008 at 05:39 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
The Janitor

i had looked on altex's website earlier today, and they didnt look like they had anything even close to what i was looking for. however, i will call them tomorrow and see if they have it.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:01 PM
600 plus a few

Fuck EVGA? More like Fuck whatever cheap POS power supply you bought

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
i had looked on altex's website earlier today, and they didnt look like they had anything even close to what i was looking for. however, i will call them tomorrow and see if they have it.
there is 3x as much parts in their store than listed on their website. altex hasn't let me down yet on hard to find adapters or electrical components. they were the only one in the area that i could get a tnc male to rp-sma male adapter without having to order it on line.

fry's and radio shack thought i was speaking a different language when i asked them asking for that adapter. i called altex and the guy casually told me he had a box full of them and come on down.

that's the difference in altex vs. everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
there is 3x as much parts in their store than listed on their website. altex hasn't let me down yet on hard to find adapters or electrical components. they were the only one in the area that i could get a tnc male to rp-sma male adapter without having to order it on line.

fry's and radio shack thought i was speaking a different language when i asked them asking for that adapter. i called altex and the guy casually told me he had a box full of them and come on down.

that's the difference in altex vs. everyone else.

That is true. Ive never been to the one in dallas, but in San their warehouse had fucking EVERYTHING. Was like the size of a walmart. Could spend hours/thousands in that place...

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Microcenter

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
The Janitor

its a PC Power and Cooling 750W power supply. Not a cheap POS 450w .A TON of people are having this problem. Hell, nvidia has been forced to work with half the power supply companies that DO have 8-pin connectors because half of the connectors dont physically FIT onto the 98xx cards.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 11:00 AM
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
its a PC Power and Cooling 750W power supply. Not a cheap POS 450w .A TON of people are having this problem. Hell, nvidia has been forced to work with half the power supply companies that DO have 8-pin connectors because half of the connectors dont physically FIT onto the 98xx cards.
How old is it? My PC P&C 750 SLI model has 2x 8 pins and 2x 6 pins.

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
The Janitor

Microcenter and Alltex dont have it.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
The Janitor

Its about a year and a half since i bought it. No telling how old the actual unit manufacturing is, but it wasnt cheap when i bought it. Want to trade Power supplies?

EVGA is getting raked across the coals for this shit. Almost every review for the card i have read has mentioned the power problem. Unfortunately, the reviews i read before i got the card ordered were for PNY or BFG cards, which have the fucking connector in the box. I didnt know EVGA would be so ballsy as to not include it. Part of my "fuck EVGA" comes from the first tech i spoke to who first told me such connectors didnt exist and i would have to buy a new power supply. Well, after i called back and told them they exist, he was like Nvidia didnt allow for that in the design and it wont work. Increasingly angry, i pointed out BFGtech came with the connector in the fucking box. That point he switched his tune to "its not certified". The second tech support guy, charles, was cool, he knew this was a big issue and was aware of it. The last guy , john, who had a huge stutter that made me want to strangle him, was trying to tell me my card would catch fire the moment i tried to turn on my PC with another companies adapter in place. LOL! What a bunch of limp dicks.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Worship me

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
How old is it? My PC P&C 750 SLI model has 2x 8 pins and 2x 6 pins.
You have the quad, that's why.

The older 750 non quads (discontinued) only have two PCI-E 6pins.

I'm running two GX2's in quad sli (horrible, fucking driver support) with the quad version of the psu. EVGA is taking the "high road" and trying to cover their ass on something that could "potentially" cause a lawsuit.

Can't blame them..

hehe, anyone wanna buy two GX2's? or One? need at least one gone so I can get a GTX280

Last edited by Roliath; 06-16-2008 at 12:54 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:11 PM
600 plus a few

How much you selling it for?

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:07 PM
fuckcanada

Best offer i've gotten on hardforums is 400 shipped to D.C. (for one). If I can sell one i'll be cool, if not i'll give the other GX2 to my dad.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 07:32 PM
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
Best offer i've gotten on hardforums is 400 shipped to D.C. (for one). If I can sell one i'll be cool, if not i'll give the other GX2 to my dad.
Im trying to get rid of one of my 8800GT Superclocked cards right now and the trade up program will let me get a GX2 for $329

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 PM
fuckcanada

Not bad I guess, but considering add what you paid for the GT on top of that.
I got lucky with mine, as I was having issues with my GTX and buddy from EVGA hooked it up and was able to get a step for me. Paid 100 out of pocket :-) (for 2x GTX's -> GX2's)

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
The Janitor

well, got the system running......with a new power supply. Talking about the problem i found i could get a good deal on one from a friend. Also went ahead and got a new case as well.

Still had/having a bit of system instability. Found out that my RAM was not arranged properly in pairs, i hope to GOD thats all that was causing my STOP errors. It was arranged 11,22 rather than 12,12. if that makes sense.

Im a bit disappointed in the GX2 so far. Apparently you cant have dual-GPU support with dual monitors, even though my 8800GTX handled two monitors on one GPU just fine. Im trying to figure out exactly how the dual-GPU to dual-display works. I only use the other display for things like AIM, Xfire, ventrilo client, etc when gaming, and i will be highly annoyed to find out that this GX2 is using an entire GPU just for that, rather than delegating mostly to the primary display.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:25 PM
fuckcanada

Well you gotta keep in mind that SLI does not support dual monitors, and this card is ALWAYS in SLI mode. If you take apart the heatsink you'll even see the bridge between them. That is the MAIN reason I want to make the move to a GTX280 (dual displays).

There is no way to disable SLI on these cards either, so your stuck with a dual GPU solution that can drive one display. I feel your pain

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
The Janitor

super lame =(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement