IT and cable modem question. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Location: If I listened to you, i would have a mustang just like yours!
IT and cable modem question.

last year i ran multiple pc's on a home network using a motorola SB5120 modem and a netgear router with built in switch. since then i have only been using one PC and i set the modem up through USB interface. now i want to do the exact same network as before, however the modem will not talk to the router or a PC directly using the cat5 interface. i have the same IP And same service as before.

I have tried several cat5 cables, to no avail.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman85turbo
last year i ran multiple pc's on a home network using a motorola SB5120 modem and a netgear router with built in switch. since then i have only been using one PC and i set the modem up through USB interface. now i want to do the exact same network as before, however the modem will not talk to the router or a PC directly using the cat5 interface. i have the same IP And same service as before.

I have tried several cat5 cables, to no avail.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.
I setup a coworkers network a month or so ago. I actually had to call in to the service (AT&T) I believe and have them make some adjustment on their end to make it work. It was something about one of the router settings had to be changed and then configured on their end. You may want to call the ISP.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:46 AM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

yea, login to the router and put it all back to default settings.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:17 AM
duh...duh....duh

Do you get a link light between the two? Either way, what lowthreeohz said is a good start.

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:33 AM

This isnt on the ISP's end...
Gotta be a setting on your modem, seems odd to me that it wouldn't recognize a cat5 connection and default to that with no USB connection present.

Does your modem make the ppoe login connection or do you have some app on your pc that's using the usb connection to the modem then sending your login info from there? Maybe it's just not logging in. *shrug*

Your ISP may help in that configuration and setup over the phone...from india...but it's most likely not the ISP's router/modems causing it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Lifer

Depending on what type of modem it is, Does it give out DHCP to your computer with a address starting with 192, 172, or 10. Then your modem makes the connection to your ISP. Given this info.

Access the modem using the default router IP found in the network connection properties. Once in the modem determine what type of connection it is using (pppoe/DHCP). Go ahead and put your modem into bridge mode after you get this info. This will pass the connection for the next device to establish (router).

If it is a DHCP go ahead and Reset the Router (Hold reset button for about 15 seconds), this will put it into auto obtain on the WAN Side. Then turn everything off pull the cable from the modem and let sit all unplugged for about 5 min (ISP use MAC binding, this needs to be cleared from there intries so the router can make the connection). Next keep everything unplugged but hook everything back up cableline ---> Cable modem ---> Cat5 to WAN/Internet port on Router ---> Cat5 to Computer. After all is hooked up go ahead and power on each device starting with the modem then router then computer give 30 seconds in between each boot up.

If pppoe, You will have to access the router and make the connection entering a pppoe username and password. Before you call your ISP go ahead and try just your username of the masteraccount of the e-mail you get from your ISP ex... [email protected] use joe and then enter in the password for that e-mail. If you do not know them then you must call your ISP to get everything reset.

Some ISP's use open pppoe if this is the case with your just go ahead and enter in anything for the username and password.

I know this is choppy but if you have anymore ?'s ask

93 Mustang: Stock w/Vortech S-Trim
I drive a car that looks fast but seems to be slow...
But traction would help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement