Iphone 2 strikes... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Iphone 2 strikes...

I just got finished checking out Steve Job's keynote speech for WWDC'08.

The new iPhone will now sell for $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB model.

Available on July 11th.

Has 3G, GPS, Full Exchange support, Cisco VPN, alot of other things for corporate networks... battery life increases to 300 hours of standby, 8-10 hours of 2G talk, 5 hours of 3G talk, 7 hours of video and 24 hours of audio...

TONS of new applications, games, etc...

Looks like a winner, especially at the price they're selling it for..

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:06 PM

I wonder if they are giving rebates or anything to people that bought the first one? I have the first one but I want the new one now, I am going to see if they are doing any kind of exchange program.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:06 PM

only thing i dislike on mine is my battery always dies

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:06 PM
dead

i may upgrade.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Very Interesting

if only it was available for sprint

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Big "foot"

Sweet ass sweet. You wouldn't happen to be able to find a vid of that anywhere would you?

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Big "foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
Sprint sucks a bums ballsack anyway.

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE
Sweet ass sweet. You wouldn't happen to be able to find a vid of that anywhere would you?
Looks like they have video and information here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/

However the site is being hammered right now...

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:12 PM
"SHOW HIM THE BIRD!"

I hope t-mobile gets 3g by then.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Blake is right, Sprint sucks a sweaty nut sack.... I'm dumping them to get the iPhone.

The only problem I've had with the ATT is that it was pretty damn difficult for me to get a signal in the house. If I stepped outside of the house everything would be good. But the iPhone has 3G talk as well as 3G data, so I shouldn't have any signal issues.. (fingers crossed)

post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 PM
dead

anyone know if the picture mail shit is fixed?

how about turn phone sideways and text message?
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE
Sprint sucks a bums ballsack anyway.
same phone number, since i moved to Dallas in the late 90s.

Never had a major issue with Sprint, execpt in very small areas which I don't frequent.

I'm on the phone all day/night, 24/7 on call, with email, text, and phone usage. I pay 150 bucks a month for unlimited everything, and an unlimited broadband card.

Last Month I used 817 minutes, 16584KB of data on the phone, and 900 text messages.

If I could get anywhere comparable on ATT I would switch

post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

I second the Sprints sucks argument. I could type a full page with all the problems I had with them and on 5 different phones. As far as the Iphone is concerned, I really don't understand the hype. Then again I've never been a huge fan of touch screen only phones.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider5.0
I hope t-mobile gets 3g by then.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
KJ94GT

Quote:

Never had a major issue with Sprint, execpt in very small areas which I don't frequent.

I'm on the phone all day/night, 24/7 on call, with email, text, and phone usage. I pay 150 bucks a month for unlimited everything, and an unlimited broadband card.

Last Month I used 817 minutes, 16584KB of data on the phone, and 900 text messages.
Same boat here. I've been with Sprint since 1999 and have no complaints. I've had the occasional improper bill, but they rectify it promptly. Coverage has been a non-issue for me really. They give me what I want, at a fair price and have kept me happy. I don't really understand why everyone complains about them.

I'm fine with my HTC Mogul... no need for the iphone.
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

You do realize that as of a few years ago, you can take your number with you when you switch providers, right?
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
You do realize that as of a few years ago, you can take your number with you when you switch providers, right?
Yeah, that's not the issue. I'm saying I've been with them that long, with no issues. No one can offer me the same plan or price

post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's not the issue. I'm saying I've been with them that long, with no issues. No one can offer me the same plan or price
Att has a plan that will fit your needs, they are doing the unlimited plans now as well.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Lifer

i will more than likely pick one of those up when my plan can upgrade. I wonder if MMS is supported this go round?

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:22 PM
LUCIFER

Yea I saw this on yahoo:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/22479

I'll definitely be getting one now

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi G
Att has a plan that will fit your needs, they are doing the unlimited plans now as well.
99 bucks for strictly unlimited calling, you still have to add data and text to that, it's well over 150 bucks, and that's without a broadband card...

next

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Frequent Flyer

I just read an article on CNN about this as I am contempating the iPhone as well now that the Gen2 is out finally.... as far as I read, there are no groundbreaking new applications being offered for it.

Anyone have any info on the validity on this? Also curious about the picture mail thing as well that momo stallion mentioned.
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
I wonder if they are giving rebates or anything to people that bought the first one? I have the first one but I want the new one now, I am going to see if they are doing any kind of exchange program.
why the fuck would they do that?

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Time Served

I didn't believe the rumors until now, actually pisses me off that I have this need to have the latest and greatest technology - could've bought two 2nd gens for the price I paid for the 1st gen. I agree with awarding some sort of discount for buying the second generation iphone if you bought the first generation - Valentine 1 does it, would be pretty sweet if Apple did it to reward existing users . . . but people are going to buy it regardless so there's no reason Apple will sacrifice profit on these skyrocket demand phones

my regards
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
Well I just got off the phone with them and they will be giving existing iPhone owners a discount.

Also for existing iPhone owners if you upgrad to 2.0 software you will get most of the new features on your old one.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Well I just got off the phone with them and they will be giving existing iPhone owners a discount.

Also for existing iPhone owners if you upgrad to 2.0 software you will get most of the new features on your old one.

Hrmmm....how do we go about getting this discount? I'd like to go ahead and upgrade.

--wes
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Wow. That's an, uh, interesting decision on their behalf.

post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
99 bucks for strictly unlimited calling, you still have to add data and text to that, it's well over 150 bucks, and that's without a broadband card...

next

$99 unltd minutes. $49.99 unltd data.

True, it doesn't come with a broadband card, but those can't be that much more expensive. What do you care? You write that shit off anyways.
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman
Hrmmm....how do we go about getting this discount? I'd like to go ahead and upgrade.

--wes

You might want to wait until the new version actually comes out, before you upgrade.
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

Because they launched a phone that cost $500, and will be offering it for less than half that with a shit ton of new features in a few months? Because they know if they don't, they will piss off a lot of current iphone owners that would feel they got fucked and go elsewhere for their next phone?

Why the fuck WOULDN'T they do that? I mean, I know you're young and all, but look at the big picture here.
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman

--wes
The guy I talked to in the iPhone division had just found out about the whole thing this morning but he told me that they will be contacting existing owners with a rebate offer.
post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You might want to wait until the new version actually comes out, before you upgrade.

For sure...like mentioned before, the cost was substantial for the version I have, would certainly suck if they just said "F off" to those that paid big $$$ to make it as successful as it's been.

--wes
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Why the fuck WOULDN'T they do that? I mean, I know you're young and all, but look at the big picture here.
Technology advances quickly; big fucking whoop. You don't see every computer manufacturer giving out rebates to buy a new computer every year because they feel bad that the technology has advanced very quickly.

As long as Apple has the margin in the new iPhone to do this it's not a bad idea, but last I heard, they really didn't have a whole lot of margin in the phones themselves.

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Technology advances quickly; big fucking whoop. You don't see every computer manufacturer giving out rebates to buy a new computer every year because they feel bad that the technology has advanced very quickly.

The iphone was launched prematurely. It's no secret, and Apple knows this.

Quote:
As long as Apple has the margin in the new iPhone to do this it's not a bad idea, but last I heard, they really didn't have a whole lot of margin in the phones themselves.
First of all, if they can go from selling it for $500 to selling it for $200, I'd say you heard wrong on the profit margin. Second off, companies lose money to make money all day every day. That's the 'big picture' I'm talking about. I will lose money on a single sale, if I know it's going to gain me more/larger sales down the road. That's the cost of doing business. You get to write off the sale as a loss on your taxes, and it nets you more money in the long run. It's not rocket science.
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Time Served

What's the rebate offer? Turn in your old phone and get the new one half off, certain % discount on the new one, first dibs at the new ones at a discount, or what?

I want one but don't want to go thru the hoops of getting one if I have to wait a month or camp out standing in line for days . . . F that!

my regards
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
"SHOW HIM THE BIRD!"

if you own an iphone now there wont be much of a difference in the iphone 3g and iphone. Just gps, longer battery, 3g, and 2 megapixel camera. I dont think i will upgrade for a while.
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider5.0
if you own an iphone now there wont be much of a difference in the iphone 3g and iphone. Just gps, longer battery, 3g, and 2 megapixel camera. I dont think i will upgrade for a while.
True, but all those things sound like fun, along with the scientific calculator and being able to link your work stuff to the new iPhone, so I will be upgrading.
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
Quote:
The iphone was launched prematurely. It's no secret, and Apple knows this.

First of all, if they can go from selling it for $500 to selling it for $200, I'd say you heard wrong on the profit margin. Second off, companies lose money to make money all day every day. That's the 'big picture' I'm talking about. I will lose money on a single sale, if I know it's going to gain me more/larger sales down the road. That's the cost of doing business. You get to write off the sale as a loss on your taxes, and it nets you more money in the long run. It's not rocket science.
Maybe they negotiated more on the back end of the phone, i.e. the service? Maybe they had a lot of margin built in and see that in the near future not many people are going to have the money to pay $500 for a phone? I don't know. To me, it wasn't worth $400, but the 3G for $200 might just persuade me.

Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Worship me

I got no problem with the up front $200 or hell even $400 for it. But I'm not paying $100 a month for a god damned cell phone. That is what has stopped me from getting one all along.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Time Served

Glad I bought Apple stock while it was down, its gonna jump big time after the 3g releases! That price difference is gonna flood the market with 1st gen iPhones for cheap since the majority of owners will upgrade to 2nd gens - doubt you could get more than $100 for one . . .

my regards
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Lifer

Quote:

The margin for Apple on the phones is large, it's AT&T that has little/no margin in the phones themselves.

--wes
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:13 PM
"SHOW HIM THE BIRD!"

Quote:
True, but all those things sound like fun, along with the scientific calculator and being able to link your work stuff to the new iPhone, so I will be upgrading.
The Both of these will be with the upgrade on the iphone. As for the pushing of the work stuff it will eat you battery because it will be running in the background. Plus you have to have Apple ME (99$ and 16$ a year) to do it unless you have exchange.
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
$99 unltd minutes. $49.99 unltd data.

True, it doesn't come with a broadband card, but those can't be that much more expensive. What do you care? You write that shit off anyways.
Add unlimited Text to it as well. The broadband card is anther 60 bucks a month, so let's say it's 230/mo vs 150/mo

I do write it off, but the iphone has nothing really over my mogul, except a smoother OS, but I have a full keyboard

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ94GT
Same boat here. I've been with Sprint since 1999 and have no complaints. I've had the occasional improper bill, but they rectify it promptly. Coverage has been a non-issue for me really. They give me what I want, at a fair price and have kept me happy. I don't really understand why everyone complains about them.

I'm fine with my HTC Mogul... no need for the iphone.

I complain about them because:

Couldn't get a signal on the 14th floor of a building in uptown.
Couldn't get a signal in several places just north of uptown and the downtown area.
Couldn't get a signal in my apartment here in Addison or the last one.
Text messages showing up 12-15 hours later or never getting them at all.
Receiving voice mails 1-2 days late.
Improper billing.
Constant dropped calls.

and I know it wasn't the phones because between my own personal line and work, I went through 5. The Q and TREO 700wx being the two best phones I had with sprint.

I have not experienced any of the above problems with Att/Cingular with my Razr or Pantech Duo.
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
I complain about them because:

Couldn't get a signal on the 14th floor of a building in uptown.
Couldn't get a signal in several places just north of uptown and the downtown area.
Couldn't get a signal in my apartment here in Addison or the last one.
Text messages showing up 12-15 hours later or never getting them at all.
Receiving voice mails 1-2 days late.
Improper billing.
Constant dropped calls.

and I know it wasn't the phones because between my own personal line and work, I went through 5. The Q and TREO 700wx being the two best phones I had with sprint.

I have not experienced any of the above problems with Att/Cingular with my Razr or Pantech Duo.
There is definately a small signal hole in Uptown area, as well as Addison. I'll agree with that. But I think a lot of the major problems have to do with the low end phones. With the PDA phones, I've never missed a text, email, etc.. or even had it delayed. I don't check my voicemail, so I dunno
I've never had one billing issue. And never a dropped call on my end.

post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
There is definately a small signal hole in Uptown area, as well as Addison. I'll agree with that. But I think a lot of the major problems have to do with the low end phones. With the PDA phones, I've never missed a text, email, etc.. or even had it delayed. I don't check my voicemail, so I dunno
I had those problems with the PDA phones as well. On the Q, I never missed any text messages because I never used that function once I switched from the TREO 700wx.
post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Gunga galunga

I'm excited for the new firmware... I'm going to wait till they have a 30gig version so I can dump my iPod and just have an iphone. 30gig won't hold it all but its enough

The other cool thing/fix is having a flush headphone jack

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

lol @ all the idiots that bought iphones when they came out.

same with waiting in line for xbox, ps3, etc etc.
post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Quote:
huge deadspot in my house in bedford, from central down from 183 a little bit all the way down to hwy 10. Also have to go stand up in the 2nd level of our shop out back to get any sort of usable signal.

i offered to let them rectify it with a new phone and firmware update.. no dice.. so i cut the cord and went to ATT. We had been with sprint since 01 up until a few months ago.
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz
lol @ all the idiots that bought iphones when they came out.

same with waiting in line for xbox, ps3, etc etc.
ehh... I usually say the same, but the iphone is by far the best phone I've ever owned. Plus work paid for it so I wasn't out the $400

"Apres moi le deluge"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement