Cable Company or Modem? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Cable Company or Modem?

I play FFXI online and recently i've been getting disconnected while playing. Sometimes it will be ok and sometimes out of nowhere i'll get d/c'd. I get a Protocol Error w/e that means?? If anyone knows in General? Is it my Cable? I have Time Warner? Or is it the modem that causing the problems? Someone said something about opening up certain ports?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:37 PM
duh...duh....duh

Does anything else work internet wise when that happens?

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Censored

What kind of splitter is does your home have? Make sure the Cable modem's line uses the best output on the splitter.

Doors Done Rite

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well normally when I disconnect from the game our whole connection goes with it. If my brother is playing something online his dies as well. When i reconnect in like 5-10min it happens constantly till i totaly reset my connection. And i'm not really sure what a splitter is? And whats the best kind?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Lifer

What kind of modem/router do you have? From the sound of it, especially with it happening concurrently it's more likely to do with your router setting or the game's network settings.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
What kind of modem/router do you have? From the sound of it, especially with it happening concurrently it's more likely to do with your router setting or the game's network settings.
On my way home will post up the type of modem and router i have. I know the modem is a Motorola (sp maybe) and the Router is a Linksys but not sure what model. will post up when i get home.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Fabrique National Fan

It's probably a Linksys WRT54G or some such. They suck and will do that whole connection dropping thing when they are about to take a shit. I would recommend trying out a different router before you go mess with your settings. If your ports weren't forwarded properly it seems like it would be a constant lag...not a disconnect like described.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

My Modem is a Motorola SBV5220 Surfboard
My Router is a Linksys WRV200

Any ideas?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Lifer

Your cable modem is fine. Do you experience the same issues when you're connected directly into the cable modem alone? Are you hard-wired or wireless? I didn't look up the router to see.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Your cable modem is fine. Do you experience the same issues when you're connected directly into the cable modem alone? Are you hard-wired or wireless? I didn't look up the router to see.
I'm hard wired to my router i hate doing wireless. But when i hook up straight to my modem i dont really have any problems. Although i dont do it long enough to find out if i'll still d/c because of all the people that use the internet at my house. Someone mentioned allowing certain ports?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Found this information on the offical website.

PlayOnline(including all related software such as FINAL FANTASY XI) may use any of the following ports. If you are using a router, please configure it to allow packets to pass through these ports.

Port numbers that may be used by the PlayOnline server group.
TCP 25, 80, 110, 443 or 50000 - 65535
UDP 50000 - 65535

Port numbers that may be used by terminals such as the PlayStation(R)2.
TCP 1024 - 65535
UDP 50000 - 65535

*Your router may require that you use a PC to configure your network settings. For more information about how to configure your network settings, please refer to the instruction manual that came with your router or contact the manufacturer directly.

*If your Internet service provider (ISP) specifies a DNS server, you may need to configure your settings to allow packets to pass through UDP Port 53 as well. For more information, please refer to the instruction manual for your router or the information provided by your ISP.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 PM
duh...duh....duh

That crap means nothing assuming you don't have any firewall features turned up. By default all those ports will be allowed out. It does not mention PAT and indicates it only applies to your PC's egress traffic. Either way, your average joe would not know how to PAT all that traffic...

...for all intents and purposes your good to go from a PC configuration probably. I concur that it is one of the LAN devices. I personally am not a linksys basher since I never have problems with any of their gear. I'd be inclined to ask your carrier what's up and to see if they see a problem. (might as well jerk off while on crack or something though)

Logical troubleshooting indicates that since multiple users are affected at the same time you'd then check your router. During the next outage, check it. See if you can ping it/HTTP to it and manage it. If you can, verify the link between it and the modem. If everything seems fine up to and just past the router it is a carrier issue.

It is always a carrier issue.

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
That crap means nothing assuming you don't have any firewall features turned up. By default all those ports will be allowed out. It does not mention PAT and indicates it only applies to your PC's egress traffic. Either way, your average joe would not know how to PAT all that traffic...

...for all intents and purposes your good to go from a PC configuration probably. I concur that it is one of the LAN devices. I personally am not a linksys basher since I never have problems with any of their gear. I'd be inclined to ask your carrier what's up and to see if they see a problem. (might as well jerk off while on crack or something though)

Logical troubleshooting indicates that since multiple users are affected at the same time you'd then check your router. During the next outage, check it. See if you can ping it/HTTP to it and manage it. If you can, verify the link between it and the modem. If everything seems fine up to and just past the router it is a carrier issue.

It is always a carrier issue.
What exactly would you ask the carrier? He said when hooked directly to the cable modem he never noticed any problems - albeit he hasn't tried that for long.

Why would you be inclined to say it's a carrier issue? Based on what he's said, the ISP would be the last people I asked..
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:58 PM
duh...duh....duh

Ask them to look for drops or any other issues.

Typically when hardware/software is faulty (i.e. a linksys router) it does not just restore itself after 5 minutes. However, I did tell him to troubleshoot upto the router. if the router is cleared then it is an ISP issue.

There is clearly not enough to go by from what he said, hence me providing troubleshooting steps. We only know that everyone drops when the drops occur and they restore 5-10 minutes later.

We do not KNOW that the cable modem is fine during this time.
We do not know that the Linksys router is fine during this time.

That is what needs to be determined.

The only thing I could be wrong on is who owns the "cable modem" - if that is customer then it still could be that. I don't deal in residential crap.

Troubleshoot, but in the mean time it can't hurt to ask the carrier if they've seen something.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Lifer

If you do own the modem and that's the issue - TWC doesn't charge for their own modems, so there is no need to go out and buy a new one.

I would look at the router pretty thoroughly first. Do you notice any lights blinking on your cable modem while the issue happens?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
If you do own the modem and that's the issue - TWC doesn't charge for their own modems, so there is no need to go out and buy a new one.

I would look at the router pretty thoroughly first. Do you notice any lights blinking on your cable modem while the issue happens?
So should i just get a new router? I mean the first one i had did the same thing. And it was a Linksys but we got this one and then when that big storm came a couple months ago and knocked out our power we've been having a ton of problems since. Called the cable company and they brought us a new modem then did some line work came inside and said it was fixed. The cable guy was surfing on my laptop and it messed up on him. Then he said another line tech needed to come out. And now this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Lifer

PM sent.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 03:32 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRK5
So should i just get a new router? I mean the first one i had did the same thing. And it was a Linksys but we got this one and then when that big storm came a couple months ago and knocked out our power we've been having a ton of problems since. Called the cable company and they brought us a new modem then did some line work came inside and said it was fixed. The cable guy was surfing on my laptop and it messed up on him. Then he said another line tech needed to come out. And now this.
Was the cable guy surfing on your modem or router?

I'm not going to waste anymore time making suggestions if you're going to refuse to troubleshoot the problem. Regardless of what anyone tells you, you have to troubleshoot or you're just guessing.

My '03 Sold.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 04:14 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRK5
Try upgrading the firmware in your router. You can check the current version by going to the router's address in your web browser, which is typically http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 , logging in (if you have never set this up before the user id is usually blank and the password is admin if it works like a wrt54g), and then find the router status page; it should show you the current firmware version. Then check on linksys.com for firmware upgrades for your router. My own linksys wrt54g took a power hit and then it was goofy as hell until I flashed it with updated firmware; fixed it right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement