Microsoft stays mum on Blu-ray Disc support - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Microsoft stays mum on Blu-ray Disc support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonPost.com
Microsoft shrugged off HD DVD's demise on Tuesday, declining to say if or when it would support Blu-ray Disc for the Xbox.

Microsoft steadfastly backed HD DVD, selling an external drive for the Xbox for US$129.99. That offer was still on the U.S. Xbox Web site as of Tuesday, despite the news that Toshiba will scuttle the format. Toshiba had been the lead electronics manufacturer in a coalition of companies pushing that format but content producers have thrown their support to Blu-ray.

Microsoft's decision to make the HD DVD drive external rather than within the console "was quite a strategic move on their part," said Paul O'Donovan, principal analyst with Gartner.

However, it's inevitable that future Xbox versions, as well as other gaming systems aimed at tighter integration with entertainment systems, will incorporate Blu-ray Disc drives, said O'Donovan. The Xbox currently has a standard DVD drive.

Sony gained momentum for its Blu-ray player by putting it in its PlayStation 3 console, according to research company IDC.

The PS3's "dual roles as a gaming console and a next-generation DVD player have made it an important part of the format war," according to the report.

Prior to Toshiba's announcement, Microsoft downplayed the rumors of HD DVD's death, contending buyers are more interested in gaming functions.

"We do not believe the recent reports about HD DVD will have any material impact on the Xbox 360 platform or our position in the marketplace," the company said in a statement. "It is premature to speculate but we do know from market data that HD movie playback is not a primary purchase driver for consumers buying video game consoles."

Microsoft, which started selling the external drive for $199 in late 2006, has dropped the price twice, to $179 last August finally to its current price, which varies by region.

O'Donovan agreed the company likely won't face declining sales of its Xbox gaming console. But Microsoft's greater problem may be getting rid of the external HD DVD drives in its inventory.

HD DVD is "dead and gone" now, O'Donovan said.
Honestly? Toshiba, the single biggest manufacturer of HD-DVD hardware has backed out, and Microsoft still won't say anything? Do they not realize it's over? I understand that just because they're not saying anything doesn't mean that they're still supporting it, but wouldn't the logical move be to immediately make a venture towards Blu-Ray.

And getting rid of those hard drives in their inventory is gonna be a bitch If you're looking for a good deal if you still have hd-dvd's, you should have your chance pretty soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Lifer

I thought I remember people saying something about Microsoft was only backing HD-DVD to pull sales from Blu-ray/Sony until Microsoft was able to build some kind of direct downloading archive for movies or something...

Oh well, format war is over, I was rooting for blu-ray but didn't want to buy anything until now
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 AM

Yet another reason I bought the PS3 instead of the XBOX, I knew Blu-rays would be the winner.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Lifer

Blu-ray is such a cool name.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Texas Rangers #1

I'm guessing they aren't saying much as they are waiting to strike a deal with Sony for inclusion of Blu-Ray into new Xbox systems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement