Call of Duty 4; Worth buying? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Call of Duty 4; Worth buying?

Been looking at Call of Duty 4; Modern Warfare and it looks badass... Just wanting some feedback from the community or maybe some tips to other badass FPS games... Thanks.

Taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:37 AM
phuk therd gier

you really havent heard anything about it?

if not- yeah its worth buying, great single player(difficult if you play it on a higher difficulty) and multiplayer is amazing- but buy it on PC

04 converted V8
post #3 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:41 AM
$uper $low

Buy it on any platform you fell like it, it's plays great on consoles, and your computer, well, i don't know it's specs, but if it'll make the game run like shit, then there isn't a reason to buy it for the computer.
Single player will keep you entertained, and the multiplayer will get you addicted.

post #4 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Time Served

worth the buy! The roomate got it and Im addicted!

]
post #5 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

thanks for the input guys. I found a demo online that I'm downloading to see how it runs on my laptop.
post #6 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:00 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitstaylor
thanks for the input guys. I found a demo online that I'm downloading to see how it runs on my laptop.
I swear, to go, if i end up playing you online, and you're some guy with juggernaut, shotty, and martyrdom, i'll cry.

post #7 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Packin' up...

I have it for my 360 and enjoy it. What I enjoy the most is you can upgrade your weapons and modify your character vs alot of other shooting games.
post #8 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark
I have it for my 360 and enjoy it. What I enjoy the most is you can upgrade your weapons and modify your character vs alot of other shooting games.
360 gamertag?
mine is x3valveGTx

Last edited by Godmagnus; 02-13-2008 at 12:17 PM.
post #9 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmagnus
360 gamertag?
mine is x3valvegtx
Ive seen you before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #10 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt66
Ive seen you before.
Is that good or bad?

post #11 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Is that good or bad?
Actually ive never seen that tag in my life, who are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #12 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Packin' up...

Quote:
360 gamertag?
mine is x3valveGTx
b00ty snatch3r

shoot me an inv! i'm lvl 32 right now, but i do kick some ass
post #13 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Time Served

is multiplayer only online or can you play co-op when i have buddies over?

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

So fast, I make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales
post #14 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by spederman
is multiplayer only online or can you play co-op when i have buddies over?

I've never tried co-op, but another board member says co-op sucks on COD4. Like, you're playing 1vs1 or some stupid shit. Hopefully jluv will chime in soon.

FWIW, fuck co-op in any game. Online is the only way I roll.
post #15 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Packin' up...

Online is 1 player only.. i haven't tried a co-op game, but i do not think you can do it.
post #16 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:39 PM
yes, jluv

Ya, there is no split-screen campaign mode like there is with Resistance. You can go around playing against each other 1 on 1 but that gets old quick.

I love both games, and I have still never played anything online.
post #17 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt66
Actually ive never seen that tag in my life, who are you?
Baby Jesus the Third.
I'm no one special, just a COD4 player who gets pissed at helicopters on shipment.

post #18 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

well i played through the demo for pc and had to set most of the graphics settings to low or off for maximum playability. It was a lot of fun and liked the dynamic objectives/fast pace. Although the main draw for me was the cutting edge graphics... with the settings how I had them they were only slightly better than what I've seen on my PS2... I guess in the end i need to just save up for a ps3 or 360.
post #19 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
well i played through the demo for pc and had to set most of the graphics settings to low or off for maximum playability. It was a lot of fun and liked the dynamic objectives/fast pace. Although the main draw for me was the cutting edge graphics... with the settings how I had them they were only slightly better than what I've seen on my PS2... I guess in the end i need to just save up for a ps3 or 360.

Thats why I only play on consoles....no worries if it will run on the computer or not

Red and White 98R1...Look now cause in a second I'm gonna pass you

You can pass me now, sold the bike =(
post #20 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:15 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
If you're buying it for games: 360
If you're buying it for media(bluray): ps3

If yo'ure really into FPS games, then the 360 is going to be the way to go. Not only are the games better (so far), but for a fps, the controller layout is much more accomodating.

post #21 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticX
Thats why I only play on consoles....no worries if it will run on the computer or not
I haven't played consoles in over 3 years since world of warcraft release... Since i quit the game i've been looking for something to somewhat fill the void that was left in my gaming experience on the PC but without buying an entirely new system and dropping a couple g's i cant do it... Looks like a ps3 is in my future
post #22 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
If you're buying it for games: 360
If you're buying it for media(bluray): ps3

If yo'ure really into FPS games, then the 360 is going to be the way to go. Not only are the games better (so far), but for a fps, the controller layout is much more accomodating.
I do enjoy the controller layout of the xbox, but from what I've seen the PS3 has superior graphics and seems like it will have better longevity in the market. Also from what I've heard from friends if you have an internet connection you can play the PS3 online for no additional charge, whereas the xbox requires you to pay a monthly fee to play online.. Granted, they both have their upsides and downsides, right now the PS3 seems the right choice for me.
post #23 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Big "foot"

That game fuckin' rocks. Played it a little last night at Jester's. Seriously great FPS and about as addictive as any I've ever played.

post #24 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:55 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
I do enjoy the controller layout of the xbox, but from what I've seen the PS3 has superior graphics and seems like it will have better longevity in the market. Also from what I've heard from friends if you have an internet connection you can play the PS3 online for no additional charge, whereas the xbox requires you to pay a monthly fee to play online.. Granted, they both have their upsides and downsides, right now the PS3 seems the right choice for me.
If $50 a year is going to break you, then blu-ray prices and game prices are going to hurt you a lot more.
As much as i've been a sony fan in the past, i have a little more faith in an online service that has revenue to perform upgrades and service repairs in a timely fashion.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/

Please do research on graphics.

I plan to add a ps3 to my collection, but it won't be for the games. game playing was more important to me, and thats why i bought the 360.

post #25 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:00 PM

I have it for PS3 and its bad ass! Especially on a 1080p tv with surround sound. Amazing.

Quote:
Been looking at Call of Duty 4; Modern Warfare and it looks badass... Just wanting some feedback from the community or maybe some tips to other badass FPS games... Thanks.

Taylor
post #26 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

See, I always hear people saying that. I just can't get used to the differences in the controller layout, to save my life.

I'll stick to the PS3.
post #27 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
See, I always hear people saying that. I just can't get used to the differences in the controller layout, to save my life.

I'll stick to the PS3.
You just have to get some hours of play in to get use to it.

I remember going from an old school Nintendo with the D pad to the N64 with the thumbstick. I was confused for a long while
post #28 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:29 PM
$uper $low

Quote:

I'll stick to the PS3.
You should have tried playing ps2 forever, then using a firstgen xbox controller. Those things could double as a shield, or a wrecking ball.

post #29 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Lifer

Hell Yeah COD4 is worth buying! I play online & LAN at work..
post #30 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Back To Normal

Is it worth buying....yeah I guess....is the single player fun...yeah.....does the multi player SUCK.....HELL YEAH...

I would bet that all of the people that really enjoy the multiplayer never spent any time on any of the battlefield series. If you did you would know what I'm talking about. More or less....COD is o...k... in small doses. Just the idea of putting 30 or so people on maps no bigger then 1 single solitary flag point in BF2 and then making it where you are safe from gun fire virtually NO WHERE (because almost all surfaces are penetrable) gets a little old. Then to add insult to injury there arenít any vehicles you could play in and because of that there isnít as much variety so its easier to get bored.

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
post #31 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 GT
Is it worth buying....yeah I guess....is the single player fun...yeah.....does the multi player SUCK.....HELL YEAH...

I would bet that all of the people that really enjoy the multiplayer never spent any time on any of the battlefeild series. If you did you would know what I'm talking about. More or less....COD is o...k... in small doses. Just the idea of putting 30 or so people on maps no bigger then 1 single solitary flag point in BF2 and then making it where you are safe from gun fire virtually NO WHERE gets a little old. Then to add insult to injury there arenít any vehicles you could play in and because of that there isnít as much variety so its easier to get bored.

<---Never played Battlefield. But yes, I do enjoy the multiplayer. There are a few things I don't care for such as random spawning, but you get used to it. The only other FPS online experience I have is the SOCOM series. I like SOCOM a little better, but I like the game modes in COD are better. I play that shit for hours on end. My wife hates it.
post #32 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I've never tried co-op, but another board member says co-op sucks on COD4. Like, you're playing 1vs1 or some stupid shit. Hopefully jluv will chime in soon.

Like I always say...I don't care if I can beat the computer or not, I just want to be able to beat you. haha
post #33 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:

I'll stick to the PS3.
I said the same thing originally. Now, I can't get used to the ps3 controller to save my life. It feels too light, the 360 controller feels much more comfortable in my hands.
post #34 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
I said the same thing originally. Now, I can't get used to the ps3 controller to save my life. It feels too light, the 360 controller feels much more comfortable in my hands.

That's why I bought the PS3 over the xbox360. Well, that and the ring of death that seems to be all too common.
post #35 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:57 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
That's why I bought the PS3 over the xbox360. Well, that and the ring of death that seems to be all too common.
Yep, i'm glad they fixed what was causing the issue.

Quote:

I would bet that all of the people that really enjoy the multiplayer never spent any time on any of the battlefield series. If you did you would know what I'm talking about. More or less....COD is o...k... in small doses. Just the idea of putting 30 or so people on maps no bigger then 1 single solitary flag point in BF2 and then making it where you are safe from gun fire virtually NO WHERE (because almost all surfaces are penetrable) gets a little old. Then to add insult to injury there arenít any vehicles you could play in and because of that there isnít as much variety so its easier to get bored.
i've played BF 2 and BF 2142. I like both. Liked bf214 more, but if i was to put bf2, bf2142, and cod4 all three side by side, and judge them on how much i liked them when i started playing them, how much they held my interest, and how much playability they have when i get bored, i'm going to hold COD4 above the other two.

I'm not a newbie to fps online games, and i can't begin to say how many school nights and summers were wasted on games like Counter Strike and Day of defeat (not the new source crap, back when those games were practically free.)

COD4 will not be a buy you'll regret, and if you have to get it for a console, then a 360 is what you'll want.
If $50 a year for online gaming will break you, then either console will be bad for you when you go to buy a game, or a blu-ray movie.

Do what all the big ballers do. . . buy both and cover all the bases.

post #36 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Great input guys... Can't wait to get my 360(I think) and get some head shots on some of you noobs >=)
post #37 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Can you play regular dvd's on the xbox without an adapter?
post #38 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Exactly.

People talk about the PS3 being so expensive, but it has free online, which saves you $60 a year, and that's another $60 to add to the price of a 360 which makes it more expensive than a PS3 at $399

post #39 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:41 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
Exactly.

People talk about the PS3 being so expensive, but it has free online, which saves you $60 a year, and that's another $60 to add to the price of a 360 which makes it more expensive than a PS3 at $399
$50, nontaxable.
$399 + tax would not fly as being the same or cheaper.

Not to mention the $399 has no backwards compatibility. $350 for a premium 360, that is not going to 3 ring on you, and has a larger fps category (that this person is obviously into), and, to date, has better graphics on released games.

If he's buying a game console, that he can network with his computer and play about any damn .wmv file or picture through his home network, there really is no argument on which system.

If he wants/needs a blu ray player, and isn't as concerned about the games, then the ps3 is the way to go for him.

post #40 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
Exactly.

Would you pay for PS3's online system as it stands right now? If Sony can charge for it, they will...and they have plans to do so, once they build their online system comparable to XBL.
post #41 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:57 PM
We lost one.....

Quote:
I'm still waiting to rent COD4. Bcoop let me know when you'll be on Resistance, I'm always in one of the sniper matches on the Manchester map.
post #42 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Time Served

Quote:

x2, can't wait for the new battlefield. But I play COD4 for now, then if SOCOM EVER comes out for PS3 I'll be back to it for months on end.
post #43 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Time Served

Quote:
If he's buying a game console, that he can network with his computer and play about any damn .wmv file or picture through his home network, there really is no argument on which system.
wasn't sure if you were arguing for or against PS3 here, but PS3 does all of this. I don't have a 360.
post #44 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Can you play regular dvd's on the xbox without an adapter?
Yes, you can play regular DVDs on the 360. You can also use the controller for a remote.
post #45 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:40 AM
DFWStangs Member

Thumbs up

I have it on PS3 and it's awesome. Well worth the $$$.
post #46 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:14 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Yep, i'm glad they fixed what was causing the issue.
Haha, uh, no they didn't, my friend's elite shit out a few weeks ago, the people on the microsoft hotline haven't said they've fixed shit, they're just giving him a brand new one instead.

post #47 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:31 AM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50
Haha, uh, no they didn't, my friend's elite shit out a few weeks ago, the people on the microsoft hotline haven't said they've fixed shit, they're just giving him a brand new one instead.
How old was his Elite?
Just because it was an Elite doesn't mean it had the third motherboard rollout.

post #48 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:34 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
How old was his Elite?
Just because it was an Elite doesn't mean it had the third motherboard rollout.
He got it in december.

post #49 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:34 AM

Anybody who says the graphics are better on 360 doesnt know what the fuck they are talking about. I have both hooked up to a samsung 1080p tv using hdmi and cod4 on the ps3 is better than on the xbox. period. It is smoother graphically and much more crisp. In the end the ps3 will come out on top as Sony game products always do.

Quote:
$50, nontaxable.
$399 + tax would not fly as being the same or cheaper.

Not to mention the $399 has no backwards compatibility. $350 for a premium 360, that is not going to 3 ring on you, and has a larger fps category (that this person is obviously into), and, to date, has better graphics on released games.

If he wants/needs a blu ray player, and isn't as concerned about the games, then the ps3 is the way to go for him.
post #50 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:42 AM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03venom
Anybody who says the graphics are better on 360 doesnt know what the fuck they are talking about. I have both hooked up to a samsung 1080p tv using hdmi and cod4 on the ps3 is better than on the xbox. period. It is smoother graphically and much more crisp. In the end the ps3 will come out on top as Sony game products always do.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/

Go tell them you're a pro and you know what's better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement