PS3 connecting to PC for Media (pics and music) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'

PS3 connecting to PC for Media (pics and music)

I've done a search but didn't find anything. I would like to access my pics and music from my PC from the PS3. Do I need to do anything to the PC to get this to work? The PC has a wireless card and that is how it connects to the router / internet and the PS3 is connected to the same.

I am a technology retard, please help.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
I've done a search but didn't find anything. I would like to access my pics and music from my PC from the PS3. Do I need to do anything to the PC to get this to work? The PC has a wireless card and that is how it connects to the router / internet and the PS3 is connected to the same.

I am a technology retard, please help.

The easiest possible way to do it, is to load the pics or other media to a usb drive, and load it on to the ps3.

I haven't played around with that aspect of it enough to know how to connect to another pc on the network, though.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
The easiest possible way to do it, is to load the pics or other media to a usb drive, and load it on to the ps3.

I haven't played around with that aspect of it enough to know how to connect to another pc on the network, though.
I tried that with music in MP3 format but when I put it in the PS3 it recognized the jump drive but said "no files"..

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
I tried that with music in MP3 format but when I put it in the PS3 it recognized the jump drive but said "no files"..

gotta be the flux capacitor.

I have no clue, man. I'm about to take PS3 #2 back and exchange it. Mine doesn't do a lot of shit for some reason. The last one worked flawlessly, and just stopped reading discs one day.

Let me do some digging and see what I can find out.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Lifer

just search for media server and your computer should show up. It is as easy as that.

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:30 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93powerranger
just search for media server and your computer should show up. It is as easy as that.
It depends on how your network is set up, I haven't fucked with it yet though, havent seen a point of having a shit load of files on my ps3.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50
It depends on how your network is set up, I haven't fucked with it yet though, havent seen a point of having a shit load of files on my ps3.
I don't see it either. The only plus side I can see is downloading movies and playing them on your TV via the PS3 or for some other multimedia purpose, but I have a badass homemade speaker system to run my music from my computer through, so I don't need to run my stuff from my computer to my PS3 and then out to nice speakers.

Regardless, I wish I could help, but quite honestly, the media player on the PS3 is worthless, and I'd just install linux and get an open source media player and run my music through there.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:34 PM
R.E.N.G.

windows media player - library - media sharing, then search for media server on the PS3
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 07:18 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Slightly off subject but if if you want to do this on a Mac, just get Medialink.

http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/medialink

I'm using version 1.2 and it runs like a champ.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93powerranger
I tried that already.. I am sure it is something I have toi set up on the PC..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50
That's why I want them to link up, so I don't have to put files on the PS3. I wanto to be able to access what is on my PC from there without transferring them. Primarily I want to do it so I can play music from my PC through the PS3 into my surround sound system. Showing pics would be cool too.

That said, I was able to get my iPod hooked directly into the surround sound last night via RCA adapters, so that will suffice for now.

90 Bronco

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd
windows media player - library - media sharing, then search for media server on the PS3
I'll try that, thanks.

90 Bronco

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Lifer

I tried to do this once before but haven't tried the windows media way yet. I will try when i get home but i always have a hard time playing .avi videos on my windows media player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement