Wireless Router shutting off problem help! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Wireless Router shutting off problem help!

Ok I'm just about fedup with this problem and I need an computer experianced individuals help.

I have a Netgear wireless router running at 54mbps. It is set up in the living room connected to Time Warners cable line. The modem is 128bit encrypted. Any time I turn on my PS3 and want to play online, as soon as my friend sends me an invite for a room hes already playing in my modem will shut off as if I unplugged it, re start and turn back on. Why is it doing this???

I had Time Warner come out and put a new router in thinking my old router had a power connection issue. Well thats not the issue because it stays on until I log on to play COD4. I have tried everything I can think off from changing the channel on my router to having Time Warner comeout and see if they can fix it knowing they can't do shit cause they suck. I have the wireless setting turned of on the PS3 so its hard wired to the router. Please help or I'm going to sell the PS3 if I'm going to always have this issue

Red and White 98R1...Look now cause in a second I'm gonna pass you

You can pass me now, sold the bike =(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:24 PM
is chilaxing

Mine netgear died on me last week. I ended up getting a linksys. Pretty awesome. Have you updated the firmware on it. After that, if it still doesn't work, try pushing that little reset button on there and redo your settings. That's my expertise right there.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa
Mine netgear died on me last week. I ended up getting a linksys. Pretty awesome. Have you updated the firmware on it. After that, if it still doesn't work, try pushing that little reset button on there and redo your settings. That's my expertise right there.
How do you update the firmware? I go to the Netgear site and click on downloads but it says to contact the owner of the router blah blah but gives me no option to download any updates

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Pushed to the limit

So Time warner is handing out wireless routers now?

I updated the firmware on my netgear a few weeks ago. I just went to the downloads link off of the support page and found my model number on the drop-down box. It was pretty easy. Which model is your netgear?

Buying dogs kills.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Time Served

http://kbserver.netgear.com/downloads_support.asp

Select your router and correct version ( listed on your router) and the firmware is on the left. What is the model of your router?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS
So Time warner is handing out wireless routers now?

I updated the firmware on my netgear a few weeks ago. I just went to the downloads link off of the support page and found my model number on the drop-down box. It was pretty easy. Which model is your netgear?
Its model #CG814WG

This is what it says when I go to the download page

"For support and information, contact the company you purchased the product from. After you have done that, other potentially useful information is below.

* These models must use the firmware from the vendor. Do not use other firmware.

If you are not the original owner and cannot get support from the vendor, the NETGEAR product on this site closest in function is CG814M."

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Time Served

According to Netgear, its a wireless modem. The modem and Router built into 1. Are you sure thats right? I have TWC with using their supplied modem and I am using a Netgear WPN824 v2 and have never had a problem with my PS3 or 360.

edit-- i recomend asking TWC for just a Cable modem and go buy a newer Wireless Router. The one you have was made between 00-01. anything 05-newer will support PS3,360, wii, etc much better
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:47 PM
fox bodies rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shadow
According to Netgear, its a wireless modem. The modem and Router built into 1. Are you sure thats right? I have TWC with using their supplied modem and I am using a Netgear WPN824 v2 and have never had a problem with my PS3 or 360.
Yes that is right. I install them daily. So if you are trying to use a router on it, that is wrong. It is a router. And if it needs firmware, which it shouldn't call customer service and tell them. Where do you live?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM
fox bodies rule

That was intended for Staticx
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shadow

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't understand the question when you ask am I sure thats right? Are you asking about the part # or the problem I'm having?

I know the part number is correct as I've had to look at it a million times to get to the netgear site downloads with no aval. On the problem I don't think its a wireless problem because both routers I had that were the exact same, both have shut down on me exactly the same way...only when I play online and a friend invites me does it power off then power back on. Otherwise the router is fine when I use my laptop or desktop comp. The Router never shuts off

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0393GT
Yes that is right. I install them daily. So if you are trying to use a router on it, that is wrong. It is a router. And if it needs firmware, which it shouldn't call customer service and tell them. Where do you live?

I live in Bedford. So if its the router how can I fix this issue?

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:09 PM
fox bodies rule

Are you using a router on it? Is is a white netgear with a coaxial input on it?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Are you using a router on it? Is is a white netgear with a coaxial input on it?

This is my router

My router

But it is the white one

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:21 PM
fox bodies rule

That's all you need to use. Were you using another router after that? If not, then it's the gaming part.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
That's all you need to use. Were you using another router after that? If not, then it's the gaming part.

No, the one that Time Warner first installed 6 months ago was the exact same. That one was shutting off also. If its the gaming part how come my brother in law and my best friends dont have the router problem when they get online?

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 12:49 PM
fox bodies rule

You can buy your own router/modem/gateway if you think that would help.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
You can buy your own router/modem/gateway if you think that would help.
I know, I just hate doing that because if your not computer savy its a pain in the ass to get a new router online

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 05:51 PM
fox bodies rule

It's not hard, just follow the instructions. Maybe your problem has to do with a wireless reciever or adapter on your computers/consone.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticX
Ok I'm just about fedup with this problem and I need an computer experianced individuals help.

I have a Netgear wireless router running at 54mbps. It is set up in the living room connected to Time Warners cable line. The modem is 128bit encrypted. Any time I turn on my PS3 and want to play online, as soon as my friend sends me an invite for a room hes already playing in my modem will shut off as if I unplugged it, re start and turn back on. Why is it doing this???

I had Time Warner come out and put a new router in thinking my old router had a power connection issue. Well thats not the issue because it stays on until I log on to play COD4. I have tried everything I can think off from changing the channel on my router to having Time Warner comeout and see if they can fix it knowing they can't do shit cause they suck. I have the wireless setting turned of on the PS3 so its hard wired to the router. Please help or I'm going to sell the PS3 if I'm going to always have this issue
Did you ever get this resolved staticX? I have the same router and the same problem and are desperate to get it fixed as I really want to play me some COD4. Everything else works perfectly and it's just this one game that seems to be problematic.

Thanks!!!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Buy a good router.

WRT54GL

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:25 AM

Why? Is there something wrong with mine?
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

100.00% of the time, the shit from the isp is junk.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:29 AM

Thank You! I called Time Warner and are going to pay them a visit after work to see if they have anything better and/or more up-to-date.

I'd buy one myself but mine was provided by TWC as part of my subscription to Roadrunner premium.

I'm also considering going for a Nat1 connection bypassing the router all together but that would also require additional equipment from TWC (currently have a modem/router combo unit).
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVESPOT
Thank You! I called Time Warner and are going to pay them a visit after work to see if they have anything better and/or more up-to-date.

I'd buy one myself but mine was provided by TWC as part of my subscription to Roadrunner premium.

I'm also considering going for a Nat1 connection bypassing the router all together but that would also require additional equipment from TWC (currently have a modem/router combo unit).

I would just get a modem from them and buy yourself a wrt54gl, they are the best router on hte market.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement