Web hosting and email question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn

Web hosting and email question

My fiance is wanting to start a website for her business. She wants to just have a basic site and wants to have an email address with the site. I know nothing about web hosting and all that, so I figured I'd ask here.

1. Where is the best place to have a site hosted? Do I just go to one of those generic hosting sites like GoDaddy or is there a better way to do it?

2. How am I able to get an email address with the same domain? Is that something that comes with the website or is it extra?

3. Does anyone here do web design? What's the average charge for a basic site?

Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn

Anyone?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I use Ipower, www.ipower.com. It's cheap, reliable and has relatively fast servers. Yes when you host it includes e-mail addresses of the same domain.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

www.dreamhost.com = VERY easy.

depending on what she wants, its pretty cheap/

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Boost is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
My fiance is wanting to start a website for her business. She wants to just have a basic site and wants to have an email address with the site. I know nothing about web hosting and all that, so I figured I'd ask here.

1. Where is the best place to have a site hosted? Do I just go to one of those generic hosting sites like GoDaddy or is there a better way to do it?
You can use GoDaddy or any of the other's out there. Just find the prices and figure out all the hidden details. Do they limit your bandwidth to a certain level every month? Do they charge extra for things other include? Etc.

Quote:
2. How am I able to get an email address with the same domain? Is that something that comes with the website or is it extra?
Depends on the provider. I think it's extra with GoDaddy.

Quote:
3. Does anyone here do web design? What's the average charge for a basic site?

Any advice would be great.
Basic sites aren't that hard to build, and I think most of the providers actually have templates for you. Obviously if it involves a storefront it's going to be a bit more difficult to setup, but I think they make it pretty easy for the layperson to figure out.

DamonH
2006 F150 SCrew
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 05:50 PM
dead

i like hostmonster.com. their cPanel is a pretty nice for configuration and options and is prett y similar to many others. pretty cheap too.

i looked at a site hosted by godaddy over the weekend and so far i dont like it. could justbe the package they went, but im not a fan.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Time Served

recently went through this myself...

basically all those others suck compared to either godaddy or one.com, these are the absolute cheapest of their kind... godaddy is limited bandwidth but more db's, one.com is unlimited bandwidth but lower amount of space, lower amount of db's...

i chose godaddy over one.com because it came down to there's no way in hell i'm going to be able to use 250GB of bandwidth a month and the fact that you can google up godaddy discount codes and knock off a good 20% your total order (at least thats the one i chose to use) ... this actually made it cheaper than going with one.com

godaddy came with 500 email accounts and 1 master email account seperate from your website bandwidth thing

one.com's servers feel a little slower to me, but maybe thats just me, oh and their toc or whatever looks a little more invasive

Last edited by buzntxn; 01-24-2008 at 12:36 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Time Served

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

There's some good advice on that ^^ forum. Read around on some of the threads and you can get a feel for what type of service you need. I've been looking into this recently and so far I think hostgator.com meets my needs.

It really just depends on the speed, reliability, space, transfer cap, etc that you need.

Also, you need to determine whether linux hosting will work for you (cheaper, uses php, mysql, perl, etc) or if you need windows hosting (a little more espensive, uses asp.net).

If it is for an e-commerce site check which hosts have virtual shopping carts and things like that. There's no easy answer, you need to shop around and find what fits your needs.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:11 PM
<Insert Title Here>

netfirms.com

Thats how I host my TexasStang.com account. I have up to 11 ****@texasstang.com email accounts. I pay $59.95/year for
- 10GB Remote Hard Disc Space
- 500 GB Bandwidth
- 11 Email accounts at your domain
- SQL database
- PHP
- Wordpress, Joomla, etc...

1 FTP account kinda sucks, because I like to share stuff with friends but don't want them to have drwxr rights on my only FTP account.

Auto-renews every year...its quite nice for only 60.00

But their online manager is slow but well laid out. Your email can be accessed via POP3 or via internet browser...I have it going to my PPC6700 so I can check my email via mobile outlook anywhere I have a cell signal.

And does your wife have HTML, ASP, ASPX experience? I wouldn't mind lending a *free* hand to get her started. I know this intarweb stuff can be intimidating.

I am the webmaster for the City of Duncanville and am in the process of getting rid of their old crappy website and rolling out my own, so i'd be helping only when I have the free time.

Last edited by Restomod66; 01-24-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement