Opinion...whats it worth? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Opinion...whats it worth?

Selling a custom home-built computer that I recently replaced with a newer Dual Core custom built system.

The computer is in a full size ATX case with removable sides, 450watt 24 pin ATX power supply, Flip down front door with 2 USB, 1 firewire port, 4 rear USB, Optical and coax digital out, 8 channel HD sound, ethernet. Asus K8N mobo with an AMD Sempron 2800+ running at 1.7ghz, 2gb ram, ATI Radeon 8500LE 128mb AGP video card, 1 DVD rom drive, 1 HP DVD burner, Floppy drive, front panel card reader, 30gb HD. I will install the following:

Windows XP home SP2
Office XP Pro 2003 with frontpage
Nero burning rom
Adobe Photoshop 5.0
AVG Anti-virus
DVD Shrink and DVD43 CSS remover
Quicktime
any other free programs they want that I can get.

I have all manuals and driver discs for the hardware.
I'm selling the tower complete to someone whose old Win98 desktop finally crashed and burned.
I was thinking along the lines of 200-250 delivered and setup.

Opinions?

FUCK Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Lifer

$150-$200 seems fair, setup. Much more than that, the PC's in a box become a little more economical.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:04 PM
duh...duh....duh

I'm sure for the right person that price will be okay.

Curious why not quad core? About to build one too, quad is not used heavily yet - but was curious what your reasoning is for not going that route.

My '03 Sold.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko

Curious why not quad core? About to build one too, quad is not used heavily yet - but was curious what your reasoning is for not going that route.
Cost was the main issue. For my use..ie (I dont play video games) a dual core Pentium D at 3ghz is considerably overkill for me...the only reason I upgraded was because I wanted an ATSC digital TV tuner to be able to watch HDTV in my office, and to transfer my few remaining Video tapes to DVD. According to the manufacturer of the tuner I bought it required at minimum a 2.4ghz P4, and for best results recommended 3.0 ghz or better. Just for kicks I installed it in my old computer and to my astonishment...it worked. It definitely slowed the PC down and dont even THINK about doing anything while watching TV...but nevertheless for watching HDTV it worked. I decided to just stick with what I already bought since I can always upgrade to dual or quad core with the board I bought (I planned for the future). Really sucks too because that ASUS board was great and did everything perfectly other than the TV tuner.

FUCK Canada
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Lifer

Most people don't even need to think about having a quad core CPU at the moment and it's pretty much a waste of money for anyone that isn't doing heavy A/V or programming. Hell, intel is coming out with new 45nm processors that should drop the prices of the conroe significantly...and most programs can't utilize parallel processing, the coding is rather difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:38 AM
El Camino

I sold off recently an amd 2800 athlon socket 754, 1gb ram, 80gb hd, cdrw, and a 64mb 9200 for $225

It all depends on what ppl will pay.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement