Beginning of the end? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Beginning of the end?

Fuck. First gas prices go up and now this shit How many of us would this affect? I wonder how much bandwidth I use gaming? I'm not going to even think about how much is used for my Torrent downloading.

http://news.wired.com/dynamic/storie...01-17-07-42-17

Quote:
Time Warner Links Web Prices With Usage
NEW YORK (AP) -- Time Warner Cable will experiment with a new pricing structure for high-speed Internet access later this year, charging customers based on how much data they download, a company spokesman said Wednesday.

The company, the second-largest cable provider in the United States, will start a trial in Beaumont, Texas, in which it will sell new Internet customers tiered levels of service based on how much data they download per month, rather than the usual fixed-price packages with unlimited downloads.

Company spokesman Alex Dudley said the trial was aimed at improving the network performance by making it more costly for heavy users of large downloads. Dudley said that a small group of super-heavy users of downloads, around 5 percent of the customer base, can account for up to 50 percent of network capacity.

Dudley said he did not know what the pricing tiers would be nor the download limits. He said the heavy users were likely using the network to download large amounts of video, most likely in high definition.

It was not clear when exactly the trial would begin, but Dudley said it would likely be around the second quarter. The tiered pricing would only affect new customers in Beaumont, not existing ones.

Time Warner Cable is a subsidiary of Time Warner Inc., the world's largest media company.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
http://gizmodo.com/346043/all+you+ca...ge-by-the-byte

Quote:
Reason number 149 I won't move to Texas: Time Warner confirmed it'll be testing a new pricing plan in Beaumont that's based on how much bandwidth you eat up. That's right, hard caps. Totally made-up example, since they haven't released details on the package tiers: Pay $50 a month for 500 gigs, and if you consume more, get slapped with probably obscene overage fees.

Supposedly, consumption-based billing is aimed at all you assholes downloading movies from BitTorrent—"heavy users of large downloads," the purported 5 percent that swallows "up to 50 percent of network capacity" in order to improve network performance. But this is, at least partially, BS.

Everybody is using more bandwidth than ever, and that is going to continue ramping up with services like Netflix and iTunes that keep pushing these "large downloads" into the mainstream. So, it might only hit a small percentage of users really hard right now, but soon enough it'll be hitting everybody, which is the real point.

At the same time, ISPs and telcos are lobbying hard against network neutrality, largely so they can slap the content providers themselves with higher costs for equal priority on the network with the ISP's own services. In other words, they're reaching into the cookie jar with both hands—from the top, and a hole they're trying to cut into the bottom.

For now, Time Warner's plan will only affect new users starting sometime in the next couple of months, and they actually give you tools to monitor your data diet, but if there isn't a total revolt and pillaging of their home office, expect them to roll it out nationally and other providers to follow suit.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

TWC...evil.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

There is only one way to put a stop to it quickly. Drop their service immediately. Don't even wait for it to go into effect. Just get rid of them.

Something like that sends a message but only if a large group does it. If Charter ever does it, I'll drop them like a bad habit in less than 24 hours.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Time Served

I don't even know who our provider is anymore, we keep getting passed around. I guess video renting over the net is going to be a no go or limited go only...

Longtime lurker, short lived poster....
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 PM
IA2

That'll be the one thing that will make me switch to uverse, but I suspect uverse will implement something similar as well. Hard caps are incompatible with the way the internet is evolving; especially with streaming video, teleconferencing, and new services starting to download HD movies. It is a cost saving measure to keep TW from having to spend money to upgrade their network guised in the form of "shrinking bandwidth" hysteria.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
At some level it's fair. How would you like your meager service to be compromised because a few people are running large file sharing operations?

Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Time Served

Sadly, TWC is the only broadband provider in my area. This sucks. If I move somewhere, I iwll probably be getting a new provider.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 02:45 PM
11-05-09

Fios ftW!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
At some level it's fair. How would you like your meager service to be compromised because a few people are running large file sharing operations?

TWC is looking for the cheap way out of thier future problems. Or at least stall it for awhile.

Newbies, please watch THIS before posting.
www.Lewisvillefishing.net
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 02:52 PM
11-05-09

I'm glad I dropped TWC when they first switched over from Comcast.

They tried to raise my rates out $75 a month right off the bat. I dropped them immediately.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 04:55 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
I have twc and like it.

Digital phone, unlimited long distance, caller id, 3-way etc etc
7.0 meg dl 512 up internet (tested)
Digital Tier package tv with on demand...

$86 a month.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHornet
Fios ftW!
what he said...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 05:00 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
I have twc and like it.

Digital phone, unlimited long distance, caller id, 3-way etc etc
7.0 meg dl 512 up internet (tested)
Digital Tier package tv with on demand...

$86 a month.
Until your promotional period is over and you get a bill in the mail for $250 and wonder what the fuck happened.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
Fuck. First gas prices go up and now this shit How many of us would this affect? I wonder how much bandwidth I use gaming? I'm not going to even think about how much is used for my Torrent downloading.
Hope these fuggen providers don't start doing that shit, i'd a broke sob, 1 just looking at my account/ratio at 1 torrent site i use 1.68 TB up/down<---LOL shitload , thats just 1 site, i use several trackers and alot lately from newsgroups.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Mavs Fan For Life!

Fuck Time Warner Cable...that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Gifs at Giftube.com
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 06:01 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Until your promotional period is over and you get a bill in the mail for $250 and wonder what the fuck happened.
Yeah this is true, I do need to figure out when that ends. If they try to change it on me, I'll just threaten to change to direct tv.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 07:30 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
Yeah this is true, I do need to figure out when that ends. If they try to change it on me, I'll just threaten to change to direct tv.
And they'll say, " see ya"
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Bond Company Stooge

Damn, hurry up Fios. I get the advertisement in the mail, contact them, "sorry we are not servicing your area yet". Wtf? Damn, get on it.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 PM
IA2

Quote:
Quit promoting it as "unlimited" then. Bandwidth is not a resource that can be saved up and used later, allow users to use all they want until there is a network congestion problem, and then implement technology to throttle bandwidth intensive apps at that time.

This is a ploy to avoid having to invest in infrastructure, and to maximize revenue potential by implementing tiered levels of services after years of promoting and selling "unlimited" internet access. Tiers allow for the possibility of charging extra fees for people that happen to run over their allocation, just like cell phone companies do.

ISPs only want you to surf the web and use e-mail, because then they can oversell their capacity (which has already happened and is becoming evident). As I said caps are incompatible with the media rich future of the interweb. There is a shit ton of dark fiber in the ground, left over from the .com boom. We need to be using it.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 PM
I'll miss you Heather :(

Thumbs down

TWC = teh gh3yness.

Seriously, they keep finding ways to screw people over a few bucks and their rep keeps getting worse. At least they have great customer service...

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Big Fundamental

Quote:
TWC is in the business of providing video to their customers, and has the infrastructure to support dozens of HD channels with multiple channels of audio. Internet bandwidth for even the heaviest user is NOTHING compared to that. There's no legitimate reason for their attempt at this other than to see if the average consumer will listen to the warnings from technical people that this is just a play for more money.

Most service providers have the upload speed choked back to prevent users from file sharing or hosting video. People that need to do that have to pay extra for it. If someone were trying it on a consumer account they are in violation of their user agreement anyway. Those folks should be identified and required to upgrade their accounts, but the average computer user is more abundant and technically ignorant, which creates a more attractive source of revenue. If TWC implements this the limits are going to be set ridiculously low because most people don't understand the technology enough to realize they are just getting screwed.

This is an attempt at forcing a price adjustment, pure and simple. Internet access has become like long distance. It doesn't really cost anything but people are used to having to pay for it. SB is right; the surest way to kill this idea before it spreads is if a large number of people drop their service immediately and explain why they are doing so. If they don't see a hit in their number of customers within a few months of this announcement they'll go full speed ahead with it.

Scott
1990 Bright Red Mustang LX hatch

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1 - Gone
2001 Silver SVT Cobra - Gone
2006 Ford Fusion SE - Dadmobile
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 03:50 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
I'd be willing to bet that Verizon and others have put the hurt on them and they are making an attempt at keeping their revinues at a level they would like them to be.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 06:13 AM
duh...duh....duh

1. All ya TWC haters (I am one) just remember, if they are successful - the other ISPs will do it as well.

2. I actually would not have a problem paying slightly more for bandwidth (10-15%). However, I'd expect reporting to show my average usage (NOT PEAK over a few hours) per month compared to EVERYONE else proving that I'm a bandwidth hog. I'm sorry, I do DL a fuck ton. However it is from Verizon's newsgroups (yeah, I realize this is TWC at the moment) which should have no real consequences for any ISP. So the usuage would have to be real internet usuage. Not usage just on my "pipe" to their internal servers.

3. As part of #2, they ISP may provide tools for you to track usuage. But what if you have 2 or more PCs? Are they host based tools or are they doing SNMP type tracking on your CPE device? I personally run my own NMS for the house and track data usuage via SNMP. I'd continue to do that to ensure the ISP stays honest.

4. Overall I concur this is a crap thing to start doing - but I understand they story. heh, if they were really that concerned they'd also test LOWERING prices for those who barely use anything...but they won't.

My '03 Sold.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Lifer

I agree with the others that say drop them, they are trying to go back to the old ways of AOL charging for usage, which is stupid. Whatever dipshit that presented this idea to the company is going to be fired because people are going to drop their asses, and rightfully so...
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Time Served

Fuck AOL, Fuck TWC, and fuck one-armed Steve
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 02:15 PM
The Janitor

In australia they have had ISPs be setup not in speed ratings (1.5mb down/ 500k up, etc) but in total consumption per month. No speed cap, just a total data cap.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:01 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
In australia they have had ISPs be setup not in speed ratings (1.5mb down/ 500k up, etc) but in total consumption per month. No speed cap, just a total data cap.
I see we haven't progressed any further than the old days with X.25 and Telenet charging by the octets used. How sad that a bad billing concept circa 1984 is still being seen as a desirable business model. As I said they need to quit selling it as "unlimited" when in fact there are (secret) limits in place that TWC/comcast will not tell you about. In fact, you'll get your service dropped if you exceed the limit with no explanation from TWC and no possibility to appeal.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:12 PM
T-MINUS

Wait a minute, a large corporation trying to whore out it's customers for more profit!? When did this shit start happening?????

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

OMG! People running a company to make a profit. Don't know how all you people work at non-profit orgs.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:19 PM
600 plus a few

Next thing you know, TWC will start paying companies to write Trojans. Once you get a few of those on a computer, its gonna constantly send and recieve information, and there goes your bill....

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:55 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
OMG! People running a company to make a profit. Don't know how all you people work at non-profit orgs.
And when you sell a product that people don't want, expect to not make that profit.
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
Yes, lets make millions, then figure out a way to screw them out of more. He who has the most money, wins!
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:42 AM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Yes, lets make millions, then figure out a way to screw them out of more. He who has the most money, wins!
They might as well jump on the inflation bandwagon with OPEC.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 AM
I Brake (For) Bitches

Quote:
true. like people who drive large vehicles having to spend more on gas than compact eco car drivers. i dont give a shit either way. i dont really download any large files.

Who needs please when we've got guns?
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:08 PM
PAN

This doesn't surprise me in the least...
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 07:01 AM
duh...duh....duh

Again, remember that reporting and overall analysis would be required IMO. There is a huge difference in people using a lot of BW for peer-to-peer and those using an ISPs newsgroup server.

Hell, there is a difference between using an ISP's newsgroup server and using a commericial newsgroup server.

It'll all boil down to reporting IMO. Plus, who the hell sets the standard? Is 500GB a month a lot? or 1 TB...10 TB? IMO, that will be a requirement as well....define the boundries up front.

My '03 Sold.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Lifer

When I signed up for TWC they tried to charge me for every little thing. I told them what I was willing to pay or I would go somewhere else, and they agree'd. I get cable internet and extended basic cable with all basic HD channels for $50 a month instead of the $105 that they advertise. They will do anything to keep customers, you just have to try.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 05:49 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I've got Verizon's EVDO wireless internet and they throttle it down to 1x speeds after you exceed 5 gigs. No extra charges since it's "unlimited" but it's how they get around hogs. 5 gigs is a lot of data transfer without doing any file sharing.

I'd still drop TWC just for thinking about this.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:30 AM
<Insert Title Here>

If this comes to D/FW I am dropping them. No excuse for this. I use Road Runner Lite (1.25mb down/retarted up) and I just use it to play games and every once in a while remote into work.

I used my Sprint EVDO cell phone for 6 months before I got married and switched over to RR and I can always go back if they bring this crap to D/FW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement